- Audio Requirements
This distro uses a special kernel custom built exclusively for Intel Atom based mini-ITX machines. Therefore there is always a possibility it will not boot or function properly on non Atom based hardware. For non-atom based machines, you can try the generic i386 iso file, but note this release is built automatically and is largely untested.
A quick way to check if your hardware is supported is just go ahead and try booting up your computer using the Live CD. You are good to go when you see the following screen welcoming you to Ubuntu:
If the LiveCD don't work, please contact me with a screenshot of the step where the distro stop booting, and details of your hardware configuration.
Mobile or Tablet
Snakeoil is designed to be paired with either a smartphone or a tablet. Getting one is highly recommended, but entirely optional. While technically you can still control the playlist via a computer, personally I have never done so.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
The following hardware is the minimum to get Snakeoil running:
- Motherboard with an Intel ATOM chip (mini-ITX boards) capable of executing 32 bit code (i386 instructions). This motherboard needs USB ports and one network port. (Please set boot to BIOS to disable UEFI boot for now).
- Wired Networking connecting to a LAN with a DHCP server (usually your Internet router)
- Atheros/Qualcomm: AR816X, AR817X, AR815X
- Broadcom: Tigon3
- Intel - E1000, E1000E chipset
- Realtek - R8169
- A USB port (2.0 or above). This can be your onboard USB, Paul Pang, SoTM, JCat, etc
- At least 256 MB of RAM, the more the merrier!
- A CD-ROM drive (SATA, USB or PATA), or a USB stick (only if your motherboard support USB booting)
- Some form of storage for the OS if you want to install it (Be it USB, HDD or SSD)
Recommended Computer Hardware Requirements
Recommended hardware requirements would be:
- During installation, have the computer connected a keyboard and mouse (useful if you need to change the BIOS settings)
- A high quality linear power supply to power the motherboard (and other peripherals)
- At least 2 GB of system RAM, preferably configured in DDR mode
- Machine is connected to a network with Wifi (This is the ideal way for remote control)
You'd also need the following:
- A DHCP server running on your network.
- Another computer to remotely access the SnakeoilOS. You'd need a browser capable of rendering HTML5 pages (e.g. Opera, Chrome, Safari, Firefox)