Linux can be a rewarding experience. This is just another way of saying Linux can be a difficult Operating System to understand. Most of you are bound to frustrated at one point or another. Snakeoil OS is designed to empower you, with that power comes confusion. Especially to people who are first time Linux users.
This chapter will hopefully alleviate some of the troubles you are facing with the Linux OS.
The Snakeoil Squad is usually just a remote session away. The tool for remote support is TeamViewer. We don't recommend a full installation so here are the steps for you to start a temporary TeamViewer session for the Snakeoil Squad troubleshooting.
- Arrange for a time with a Snakeoil Squad member
- Download the TeamViewer installation by going to their website: www.teamviewer.com.
- After the download has finished, start the installer. Select "Run only (one time use)" and "Personal / Non-commercial use". Read the License Agreement if this is your first time using Team Viewer. Then click the "Accept-run" button at the bottom right.
- Wait for the connection to the TeamViewer servers. Once connected you should see your ID and Password (888's in this example)
- Send this ID and Password to the Snakeoil Squad member.
- Only send your ID and password to emails with this domain: snakeoil-os.net. Never send it to anybody else. Do not post this ID and password on the forums on anywhere else.
- The Snakeoil Squad member will remotely connect and access your computer.
- Please stand by and watch and disconnect the session if you suspect foul play.
There were rumours floating people with TeamViewer installed on their computers were hacked. We don't really know what's happening but just to be safe make sure you select the "Run-Once" option in step 3. After the trouble shooting session, delete the installer.
You can generate a Diagnostics file and send it to the Snakeoil Squad for troubleshooting purchases. Go to the System page, and click the "Diagnostics" button pictured below:
Wait a few moments for the file to generate, then click on the link to download the file:
Click on the "OK" button to close the dialog box.
Please only send this file to the Snakeoil Squad upon request. The Snakeoil Squad email domain is snakeoil-os.net. Do not forward this file to anybody else. The diagnostics file contains only basic configuration setup and system information regarding your computer. There are no sensitive information contain within this file. It is still a good idea to only forward this file to the Snakeoil Squad and nobody else.