4.4.9-rt17 series
64 bit kernels 
32 bit kernels 
  • linux-4.4.9-rt17-overlay-generic-usb includes Overlay and SquashFS, meaning you can use this kernel for your persistent LiveCD. Download this file, extract the contents, and rename the archive's vmlinuz-4.4.9-rt17-generic-overlay-usb file to your USB /casper/vmlinuz (File must be called vmlinuz). Only audio device supported is USB audio. This kernel is built for Xeon/Core2. 
    .bz2   linux-4.4.9-rt17-generic-overlay-usb.tar.bz2 (Size: 2.67 MB / Downloads: 11)
  • linux-4.4.9-rt17-generic-usb is for non-Atom machines, meant for people who have installed Snakeoil onto SSD. No overlay or SquashFS support (i.e. you can't use this for LiveCD). You upgrade this kernel the usual way - upload via the web interface then reboot. This kernel supports USB audio only. This kernel is built for Xeon/Core2.
    .bz2   linux-4.4.9-rt17-generic-usb.tar.bz2 (Size: 2.66 MB / Downloads: 12)
  • linux-4.4.9-rt17-atom-usb is built for Atom machines, everything else is the same as generic-usb.
    .bz2   linux-4.4.9-rt17-atom-usb.tar.bz2 (Size: 2.66 MB / Downloads: 8)
  • linux-4.4.9-rt17-atom-usb-hda is built for Atom machines, supports USB audio and Intel HDA.
    .bz2   linux-4.4.9-rt17-atom-usb-hda.tar.bz2 (Size: 2.76 MB / Downloads: 5)
  • vmlinuz-linux-4.4.9-rt17-i386-usb-hda.tar is built without optimisations. Trying a little experiment right now.
    .bz2   vmlinuz-linux-4.4.9-rt17-i386-usb-hda.tar.bz2 (Size: 3.09 MB / Downloads: 9)
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Leonard

@Leonard, Download linux-4.4.9-rt17-generic-overlay-usb.tar.bz2, extract the file, and replace your USB's /casper/vmlinuz file with the new one, and it should work (make a copy of your old vmlinuz to roll back).

Let me know how this goes.
  • Leonard

Worked correclty! According to the systemdetails in the 'Home' tab my system (or should I say USB stick) has now been updated to the new Kernel.

Tnx! :-)

(12-May-2016, 07:48 PM)Leonard Wrote: Worked correclty! According to the systemdetails in the 'Home' tab my system (or should I say USB stick) has now been updated to the new Kernel.

Tnx! :-)
Pleasure is all mine... You're trail blazing the way with persistent USB, I havn't even finished writing up the manual for that yet  [Image: blush.png].

Let me know how to this kernel goes in terms of SQ.
  • Leonard

Can these kernels only be used on a 32-bit Snakeoil version?

(07-Jun-2016, 12:12 AM)Leonard Wrote: Can these kernels only be used on a 32-bit Snakeoil version?

Yes. These are 32 bit only kernels. I have used 64 bit kernels on 32 bit systems before, but I havn't tried it the other way round.

Will be rebuilding the more popular kernels to 64 bits shortly. Which kernel do you have in mind? I can put that out first.

(07-Jun-2016, 06:48 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Will be rebuilding the more popular kernels to 64 bits shortly. Which kernel do you have in mind? I can put that out first.

Not sure what kind of information you exactly need to create a custom kernel, but my current setup is very lean. I am only using:
- processor i5
- motherboard
- RAM
- onboard netwerkcard
- SotM USB card
- internal USB ports (optional))

Thanks to Snakeoil [Image: smile.png] the following parts are not required anymore and are also disabled in the BIOS :-)
- onboard videocard
- onboard audiocard
- SATA
- COM serial port
- LPT port
- Fans

However, I can imagine that my setup is far too specific for most Snakeoil users. Last time you build special overlay version that could be used when running from a usbstick: "linux-4.4.9-rt17-generic-overlay-usb.tar.bz2". That one was running fine.

(07-Jun-2016, 08:37 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(07-Jun-2016, 06:48 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Will be rebuilding the more popular kernels to 64 bits shortly. Which kernel do you have in mind? I can put that out first.

Not sure what kind of information you exactly need to create a custom kernel, but my current setup is very lean. I am only using:
- processor i5
- motherboard
- RAM
- onboard netwerkcard
- SotM USB card
- internal USB ports (optional))

Thanks to Snakeoil [Image: smile.png] the following parts are not required anymore and are also disabled in the BIOS :-)
- onboard videocard
- onboard audiocard
- SATA
- COM serial port
- LPT port
- Fans

However, I can imagine that my setup is far too specific for most Snakeoil users. Last time you build special overlay version that could be used when running from a usbstick: "linux-4.4.9-rt17-generic-overlay-usb.tar.bz2". That one was running fine.

Cool, that's really all the information I need, will hopefully build the kernels tomorrow (check back in around 16 hours after time of this post).

Booting over PXE is certainly interesting, just for an experinment I'd build an additional kernel without SATA just to see how it goes (i.e. that kernel can only be used in PXE booting). When you can, compare the two yet to be build kernels and report back.

(07-Jun-2016, 08:46 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Cool, that's really all the information I need, will hopefully build the kernels tomorrow (check back in around 16 hours after time of this post).

Looking forward to it!

(07-Jun-2016, 08:46 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Booting over PXE is certainly interesting, just for an experinment I'd build an additional kernel without SATA just to see how it goes (i.e. that kernel can only be used in PXE booting). When you can, compare the two yet to be build kernels and report back.

Tnx, I surely will :-)
But please also do yourself a favour and try it yourself. Just to discover the differences between your existing SSD installation and PXE. I am very curious what your findings will be.

First post updated with 2 new 64 bit kernels.
  • Leonard