Acer Aspire Revo R3610 no IP Address upon bootup
Hi,

I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 and after installing Snakeoil OS to it, I realize that it does not seem to support the NVidia MCP79 chipset since the NVidia ethernet driver is not loaded (getting no IP). However, when running lspci | grep -i eth, I get the Ethernet Controller : NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1).

Is there a way to make it work?

Thanks!
Do

(04-Jul-2018, 11:20 AM)pinnocchio Wrote: Hi,

I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 and after installing Snakeoil OS to it, I realize that it does not seem to support the NVidia MCP79 chipset since the NVidia ethernet driver is not loaded (getting no IP). However, when running lspci | grep -i eth, I get the Ethernet Controller : NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1).

Thanks!
Do
Hi Do,

I'd build a new custom kernel for you later today (approx 6 hours from time of this post). Will let you know when it's ready.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(04-Jul-2018, 12:23 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(04-Jul-2018, 11:20 AM)pinnocchio Wrote: Hi,

Thanks!
Do
Hi Do,

I'd build a new custom kernel for you later today (approx 6 hours from time of this post). Will let you know when it's ready. 

Wow! That's what we call Support with a capital S! 

Thanks a million!
Do
[-] The following 1 user Likes pinnocchio's post:
  • agent_kith

Hi, please refer to the install kernel thread on the custom Nvidia NIC kernel: Link. Instructions on what to do is also in there.

Thx.

(04-Jul-2018, 04:45 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Hi, please refer to the install kernel thread on the custom Nvidia NIC kernel: Link. Instructions on what to do is also in there.

Thx.

Hi,

I've used WinIso to open the 64bit image of SnakeOil OS, rename that vmlinuz file under the casper folder and then add in the new amd64 nvidia kernel then burned it to DVD and also tried on USB. My images won't boot at all, even if I extract the boot image with winiso and add it to the new iso build. If I take your original SnakeOil OS image and burn it to DVD, it boots up fine. 

I've tried about 10 DVDs but nothing would do, even with different burner software. I even started to boot the SnakeOil OS until grub menu shows up, then swap the CD but then I get a grub386 error message that it cannot find specific files. I've also checked a few tutorials...

It seems it does not like me to change the structure of the ISO file.

Thanks
Do

(05-Jul-2018, 03:52 AM)pinnocchio Wrote:
(04-Jul-2018, 04:45 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Hi, please refer to the install kernel thread on the custom Nvidia NIC kernel: Link. Instructions on what to do is also in there.

Thx.

Hi,

I've used WinIso to open the 64bit image of SnakeOil OS, rename that vmlinuz file under the casper folder and then add in the new amd64 nvidia kernel then burned it to DVD and also tried on USB. My images won't boot at all, even if I extract the boot image with winiso and add it to the new iso build. If I take your original SnakeOil OS image and burn it to DVD, it boots up fine. 

I've tried about 10 DVDs but nothing would do, even with different burner software. I even started to boot the SnakeOil OS until grub menu shows up, then swap the CD but then I get a grub386 error message that it cannot find specific files. I've also checked a few tutorials...

It seems it does not like me to change the structure of the ISO file.

Thanks
Do 

Yup, depending on the application changing the structure of the ISO file will inadvertently destroy the boot loader. For custom install kernels to work it's best to work with USB sticks. Just follow these instructions here outlined in the install kernel thread.

The key is to write the original ISO to USB first. That will write the bootloader correctly, once that is done you can replace the kernel with the new one.

I havn't done so myself, You should in theory be able to do this with optical media (use CDR instead as the ISO should fit well into a 700MB medium). Write the original ISO out to CD, but don't close the media. Because the media is not closed you can continue to modify the contents. Then all you need to do is overwrite the original kernel with the new one..

Hope this clarifies a few things.. I'd update the manual with this information also later this week.

ok, that worked fine with my 128GB USB stick but fails on the small 1GB but it's ok.

I manage to install SnakeOil OS, add my license and upgrade to the latest firmware. Then proceeded to remove all audio servers (MPD, Squeezelite, etc...) and added HQP NAA.

It installs the HQP NAA (it does however says "munual configuration required" in a bubble), then enabled the player in the Music Player section. My DAC is also detected
 NameOutputUSBUSB Audiohw:0,02 - isochronous asynchronous
Unfortunately, HQ Player 3.21.0 does not see the DAC under IPV4 or IPV6 (from the pull-down menu).

I've rebooted SnakeOil OS a few times but still no luck. Do I need to configure something manually? Do I need IPV6 stack?

Thanks a million!
Do

So indeed HQP NAA does seem to require IPV6 kernel. Would it be possible for you to make the same NVidia kernel with IPV6 (64bit)?

Again, thanks for your support, it is truly appreciated!

Do

All Snakeoil kernels post 1.0.0 have IPv6 enabled by default. Can you config it's working? SSH into the machine, and run
Code:
ifconfig
You should see a line that says inet6 addr: in your network card.

The version of NAA that's installed is networkaudiod_3.5.1-35. Is that version compatible with 3.21.0? Or do we need to use the latest (3.5.4-38)?

Yep, it's getting an IPv6 Link Local address but not from my IPv6 DHCP server. Well maybe but it does not show up under ifconfig. Regardless, I'm able to ping all my IPv6 addresses (SnakeOil OS, Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, etc...).

Seems like everytime I'm trying to use HQ Player Client, the process ID (PID) under SnakeOil changes right after trying to use the NetworkAudioAdapter and NetworkAudioAdapter IPv6.

Here's what it does when I run this command manually :

dominic@HQP-NAA1:~$ sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod start
[sudo] password for dominic:
[networkaudiod] (2596): networkaudiod Copyright © 2011-2017 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.
[networkaudiod] (2596): asoundlib version: 1.1.3
[networkaudiod] (2596): clSocket::Bind(): bind(): Address already in use
Illegal instruction

It does Illegal instruction as soon as I open the HQ Player Client and try to modify the NetworkAusioAdapter from IPv4 to IPv6

I could try to install the 3.54.x NAA?

Thanks
Do

Here's a screenshot of music player

[Image: snakeoil_musicplayer.jpg]

Here's another one from the SnakeOil TAB (cannot remove MDP 19)

[Image: snakeoil_TAB.jpg]

(06-Jul-2018, 05:58 AM)pinnocchio Wrote: Yep, it's getting an IPv6 Link Local address but not from my IPv6 DHCP server. Well maybe but it does not show up under ifconfig. Regardless, I'm able to ping all my IPv6 addresses (SnakeOil OS, Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, etc...).
There is a line in ifconfig about inet6.. Does it have an address?

(06-Jul-2018, 05:58 AM)pinnocchio Wrote: Seems like everytime I'm trying to use HQ Player Client, the process ID (PID) under SnakeOil changes right after trying to use the NetworkAudioAdapter and NetworkAudioAdapter IPv6.

Here's what it does when I run this command manually :

dominic@HQP-NAA1:~$ sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod start
NAA is already running, hence the error. Try:

Code:
sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod restart

(06-Jul-2018, 05:58 AM)pinnocchio Wrote: It does Illegal instruction as soon as I open the HQ Player Client and try to modify the NetworkAusioAdapter from IPv4 to IPv6
I could try to install the 3.54.x NAA?
I've only tested NAA against the HQP that's installed on Snakeoil. Perhaps you do need to run 3.54x and above. Download the latest deb file, and drop it into the install box on the Snakeoil WebApp. Next go to the music players page and restart the players (just to be safe).

Now try and see if you can see this machine from your other computer again.

PS: if not wrong, I think the MPD v19 uninstall is fixed in the next releast Blind Testing (I'd double check and confirm tonight if I can).