Poll: Are You Interested In ARMv7 Edition of Snakeoil OS
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES. (Remember to let me know what board you want)
88.89%
8 88.89%
NO.
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Any Interest in ARMv7 builds
Played around briefly with the Pi port over the weekend, making sure that it's working well and more importantly - don't loose the capability of updating the firmware. Unfortuantely couldn't spend a lot of time on this as my place lost power (Got only 165 V instead of the typical 230 V) on Friday and I spent the entire weekend making sure everything in the house is still working..

Hope it'd be ready soon.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Erk! 165 volts does not a happy audiophile make..... hope there was no lasting damage other than lost time..   
Your power supply company has problems big time as this should never happen...even a tree or pole down should result in a breaker giving a full disconnect.... half normal mains is bizarre !

On a lighter note.... still happy to do some testing of the Pi port if it's useful and have a Pi3 idle here at the moment... Big Grin

(10-Sep-2018, 08:47 AM)Bromf Wrote: Erk! 165 volts does not a happy audiophile make..... hope there was no lasting damage other than lost time..   
Your power supply company has problems big time as this should never happen...even a tree or pole down should result in a breaker giving a full disconnect.... half normal mains is bizarre !
Indeed.. And funnily enough a lot of things are still working - e.g. lights.. Basically anything on switching power supplies (these typically senses multi voltage of 110 and 230 and can be used everywhere around the glob) are still working.

I dropped by my neighbours' place and they have fully working TVs and lights... Our lights are working (as they are multi-voltage LEDs), but our TV isn't (running on 230 V only).

(10-Sep-2018, 08:47 AM)Bromf Wrote: On a lighter note.... still happy to do some testing of the Pi port if it's useful and have a Pi3 idle here at the moment... Big Grin
Good idea... I have a 2 and a 3B+. But not a 3.. Should test this image on a 3 and see how it goes... I'd PM you when I have a test image ready.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Bromf

Raspberry Pi image should be good to go soon.. It'd just be a matter of extracting the image, and find a way to shrink it down to size. Once that is done it'd be ready for beta testings...

Bromf is in the list. Anybody else want early access please put your name down in this thread.

I've not used this but it sounds like it gives a useful reduction... Smile

http://www.matteomattei.com/how-to-shrin...up-images/

looking forward to testing the beta !

(19-Sep-2018, 12:25 PM)Bromf Wrote: I've not used this but it sounds like it gives a useful reduction... Smile

http://www.matteomattei.com/how-to-shrin...up-images/

looking forward to testing the beta !

Yup. Got that, it's a lot different to how I did it 2-3 years ago (time moves quickly I guess). This is certainly far easier than before. Having said that, yet to try it Big Grin .

Long weekend in the coming week so the hope is I can get something out by then.

And the beta is ready. Link sent to @Bromf  and @gdtech. Please report back if it works/breaks and state the RPi model (2B, 3B, 3B+ etc).

Snakeoil Patrons should be notified of the download link as well.

Need confirmation that the image works on:
  • Model 2 B (Works on mine, but YMMV)
  • Model 3 B  (Don't have this board, but should work)
  • Model 3 B+  (Works on mine, but YMMV)
Anybody else who wants to join this beta program, please get your post count up to 5 then PM me. 

Unfortunately due to spam bot activity you have to create 5 posts here now before the PM system is enabled. While this isn't entirely fool proof it's still better than nothing.

Confirmed working on 3B Smile
Will run and test today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

This is very very good. Best soundstage...size, placement, and acoustic space... I've heard from any Pi to date. 

Immediacy and impact at first seemed muted... Now I'm not sure that is the case. I suspect it is something attributable to the rt kernel or simply a reduction in distortions.
 I thought the top end was rolled off but then was surprised at the quality I heard there.   Low level cymbal detail is great..so it passes that test too.
I'm using MPD so will try with LMS to compare tomorrow.

I had assumed you would be porting the Ubuntu build to Pi but see that the OS is Raspbian.... that must have been a lot of work !
Stability is good... running all morning with files ranging from webradio to DSD128 and it hasn't missed a beat.

So some questions that someone is going to ask so may as well be me....
The strength of Snakeoil has been usb playback on x86 pc and that is carried over to the Pi port.... many Pi users adopt I2S connection for DACs.... is it planned to add I2S or will you concentrate on Snakeoil's usb output...?

I thought to test some gpio hardware that runs on Raspbian..... LCD and Oled displays, Lirc I/R remotes, etc.   I have activated the I2C interface and reduced the memory split for the GPU using raspi-config (and changed the default password...Wink  ). I'm probably going to need some libraries....wiring-pi et al but will test and report.

I have ssh in but ls in user ~ shows no files.....guess I need to run as su and configure ??

This is going to be a real gem in the Pi audiophile lineup. !! Well done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote: This is very very good. Best soundstage...size, placement, and acoustic space... I've heard from any Pi to date. 

Immediacy and impact at first seemed muted... Now I'm not sure that is the case. I suspect it is something attributable to the rt kernel or simply a reduction in distortions.
The magic is really in the real time kernel I believe.

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote:  I thought the top end was rolled off but then was surprised at the quality I heard there.   Low level cymbal detail is great..so it passes that test too.
I'm using MPD so will try with LMS to compare tomorrow.
Glad you like it. Havn't been able to test this build myself. I know everythiing works, just not entirely sure how it's gonna sound.

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote: I had assumed you would be porting the Ubuntu build to Pi but see that the OS is Raspbian.... that must have been a lot of work !
Stability is good... running all morning with files ranging from webradio to DSD128 and it hasn't missed a beat.
Both Ubuntu and Raspbian are based on Debian. So porting is somewhat easy. The biggest issue was porting the RESTful server over. For some reason some part of the code is causing it to crash. That took a long time and at the moment I am stlil not confident everything is sorted out yet - hence the beta.

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote: So some questions that someone is going to ask so may as well be me....
The strength of Snakeoil has been usb playback on x86 pc and that is carried over to the Pi port.... many Pi users adopt I2S connection for DACs.... is it planned to add I2S or will you concentrate on Snakeoil's usb output...?
I believe the I2S (via GPIO) support is already included in the current kernel. Things like HifiBerry should work. I'm gonna test this in due time as I have a HifiBerry. Other boards should work although will need somebody else to confirm.

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote: I thought to test some gpio hardware that runs on Raspbian..... LCD and Oled displays, Lirc I/R remotes, etc.   I have activated the I2C interface and reduced the memory split for the GPU using raspi-config (and changed the default password...Wink  ). I'm probably going to need some libraries....wiring-pi et al but will test and report.
Heh. With LCD, and LIRC, this will actually be a pretty good streaming solution. Let me know how it goes, and I should be able to build custom kernels to suit.

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote: I have ssh in but ls in user ~ shows no files.....guess I need to run as su and configure ??
Yup. Just sudo to root and tinker away.

(24-Sep-2018, 08:55 AM)Bromf Wrote: This is going to be a real gem in the Pi audiophile lineup. !! Well done.
My pleasure. Help me test it, and when released officially, please help me spread the word. Smile