[BETA] v0.1.5-pre-release-20161216
IMPORTANT
This is a firmware only. You will need to install the Snakeoil OS onto your computer first before you can apply this firmware. To install the Snakeoil OS please download the ISO from this section: Link

NOTES
This pre-release is mainly to address the big one - MPD crash reported by @psergy. Also added some minor bug fixes. For more detail see the changelog below.

CHANGELOG
0000026[web-app] Generating Diagnostics File Is confusing as it says Please wait, and there is a 10000 second counter below! D'oh! (agent_kith) - resolved.
0000021[players] Fix MPD crash when scanning database (agent_kith) - resolved.
0000029[players] Update squeezelite ralph to latest commit (agent_kith) - resolved.
0000027[install] Kernel modules are not installed properly (agent_kith) - resolved.
0000028[web-app] Tweak install text for vmlinuz/kernel/module (agent_kith) - resolved.

[5 issues]

FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD

.fw   snakeoil-0.1.5-pre-release-20161216-i686.fw (Size: 20.41 MB / Downloads: 36)
.fw   snakeoil-0.1.5-pre-release-20161216-amd64.fw (Size: 20.92 MB / Downloads: 67)

PROBLEMS?
If you have are using mpd-git and mp-v19 and see this error message, please download the firmware and re-apply the update
Code:
/var/www/players/mpd-git/mpd: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /var/www/players/mpd-git/mpd) /var/www/players/mpd-git/mpd: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /var/www/players/mpd-git/mpd)

ISO BETA
Beta ISO removed to conserve space. Refer to official 0.1.5 ISO thread here: Link
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Booya! And I finally have EFI working!
[Image: happy.gif] [Image: lol2.gif] [Image: lol2.gif] [Image: lol2.gif] [Image: pretty.gif]

If you reckon getting people to actually install and use something call Snakeoil is hard, getting this EFI working is way harder!

Nothing feels better than overcoming a hard hurdle. Release 0.1.5 is finally in sight! Click this link for the roadmap.
[Image: crying2.gif]

Slight quirk though. Seems EFI mode will disable text mode, i.e. when you are using EFI computer, you'd have no access to the text console upon reboot (this is by design). So alas if you want to use EFI computers (NUC, Mac mini) you have to use this in headless mode. Some would call this a feature.

Looking Good !   0.1.5 getting closer Smile
 Is networking with broadcom chipsets still likely with this release ?
Quote:Realtek (R8169 chip) or Intel network card (E1000 or E1000E chipset), connected to a working Local Area Network (LAN). Broadcom network will be supported from ISO 0.1.5 onwards.

(20-Dec-2016, 07:48 AM)Bromf Wrote: Looking Good !   0.1.5 getting closer Smile
 Is networking with broadcom chipsets still likely with this release ?
Quote:Realtek (R8169 chip) or Intel network card (E1000 or E1000E chipset), connected to a working Local Area Network (LAN). Broadcom network will be supported from ISO 0.1.5 onwards.

Yes it is. If you have any NUC or Macs, are you interested to try?

If yes, refer to updated first post for the ISO downloads.

This is the 64 bit edition. Please let me know if you spot any errors/issues. Would like to make the ISO as bug free as possible.

Please report back on your findings.

is the link only for NUC or Macs ?

Edit... tried it on Acer 64bit laptop... boots to desktop then the ubiquity installer appears. Lshw shows a Broadcom Bcm5787 and trying sudo apt-get update for kicks and..... it works ! The crowd goes wild ! Excellent... will try installing and report.

Just one thing, when I shutdown the live environment there is an alert...'you have to choose a software player' briefly... 

The first ever machine I tried Snakeoil on loaded, booted, installed, and runs fine Smile (very old dual-core desktop).
Since then I've tried 8 laptops (yes I have a junk pile... my wife often points this out)
In most cases I can get the live image running, sometimes even looks like the networking is recognised, but never able to connect and never when installed.

I'm waiting for an old HP thinclient to arrive...Intel Atom N280 but the network chip is Broadcom and it's only a 32-bit processor.. Sad

Might just have to load Volumio x86 temporarily until 0.1.5 is released and try again.

(20-Dec-2016, 09:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: is the link only for NUC or Macs ?

Edit... tried it on Acer 64bit laptop... boots to desktop then the ubiquity installer appears. Lshw shows a Broadcom Bcm5787 and trying sudo apt-get update for kicks and..... it works ! The crowd goes wild ! Excellent... will try installing and report.

Just one thing, when I shutdown the live environment there is an alert...'you have to choose a software player' briefly... 
That message is normal, it'd disappear after you have selected a music player from the software tab.

(20-Dec-2016, 09:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: The first ever machine I tried Snakeoil on loaded, booted, installed, and runs fine Smile (very old dual-core desktop).
Since then I've tried 8 laptops (yes I have a junk pile... my wife often points this out)
In most cases I can get the live image running, sometimes even looks like the networking is recognised, but never able to connect and never when installed.
There are several problems with how networking is detected in the old ISOs, hopefully all resolved in 0.1.5. Also your DHCP server could be an issue. If you can, try another DHCP server and see how it goes.
(20-Dec-2016, 09:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: I'm waiting for an old HP thinclient to arrive...Intel Atom N280 but the network chip is Broadcom and it's only a 32-bit processor.. Sad

Might just have to load Volumio x86 temporarily until 0.1.5 is released and try again.
Don't think Volumio will work with a 32 bit UFI environment. The only setup that I am aware of that's 32 bit UFI is the old Macs from before 2006. However I could be wrong here. Regardless please test on as many platforms as you can and report back. thanks in advance.

(20-Dec-2016, 02:11 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 09:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: is the link only for NUC or Macs ?

That message is normal, it'd disappear after you have selected a music player from the software tab.

(20-Dec-2016, 09:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: The first ever machine I tried Snakeoil on loaded, booted, installed, and runs fine Smile (very old dual-core desktop).
There are several problems with how networking is detected in the old ISOs, hopefully all resolved in 0.1.5. Also your DHCP server could be an issue. If you can, try another DHCP server and see how it goes.
(20-Dec-2016, 09:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: I'm waiting for an old HP thinclient to arrive...Intel Atom N280 but the network chip is Broadcom and it's only a 32-bit processor.. Sad

Don't think Volumio will work with a 32 bit UFI environment. The only setup that I am aware of that's 32 bit UFI is the old Macs from before 2006. However I could be wrong here. Regardless please test on as many platforms as you can and report back. thanks in advance.
Scratched my head for a while....I don't have anything with U(E)FI ... I want to run Snakeoil on the Thinclient...It is conventional bios and runs x86 other linux ok apparently. I am looking forward to 0.1.5 32 bit as that should run on it Smile
Meanwhile, until then I will try Volumio x86 on the thinclient.
Your linked 64bit 0.1.5 loks like it will run on standard bios if the acer laptop I tried it on is any indication so I will try that installed  on the laptop and report.

(20-Dec-2016, 02:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: Scratched my head for a while....I don't have anything with U(E)FI ...
My bad, it's EFI. Keep mistyping itWink

(20-Dec-2016, 02:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: I want to run Snakeoil on the Thinclient...It is conventional bios and runs x86 other linux ok apparently. I am looking forward to 0.1.5 32 bit as that should run on it Smile
The first post now includes a link to a i686 (32 bits) ISO. Try that and let me know how it goes.

(20-Dec-2016, 02:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: Meanwhile, until then I will try Volumio x86 on the thinclient.
Your linked 64bit 0.1.5 loks like it will run on standard bios if the acer laptop I tried it on is any indication so I will try that installed  on the laptop and report.
Thanks.

(20-Dec-2016, 02:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 02:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: Scratched my head for a while....I don't have anything with U(E)FI ...
(20-Dec-2016, 02:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: I want to run Snakeoil on the Thinclient...It is conventional bios and runs x86 other linux ok apparently. I am looking forward to 0.1.5 32 bit as that should run on it Smile
The first post now includes a link to a i686 (32 bits) ISO. Try that and let me know how it goes.
(20-Dec-2016, 02:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: Meanwhile, until then I will try Volumio x86 on the thinclient.
Thanks.

Thank you so much for the 32bit iso...... !!  Now I have to check the mail-box hourly to see if the hardware has arrived...Smile 
Probably another day or two yet, so meantime...tomorrow.. I can install and test the 64bit iso...(in between weed-whacking and lawnmowing)

(20-Dec-2016, 04:45 PM)Bromf Wrote:
(20-Dec-2016, 02:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
Thanks.

Thank you so much for the 32bit iso...... !!  Now I have to check the mail-box hourly to see if the hardware has arrived...Smile 
Probably another day or two yet, so meantime...tomorrow.. I can install and test the 64bit iso...(in between weed-whacking and lawnmowing)

Install of the 64 bit iso went well and everything works as expected. Nothing out of the ordinary noted yet.

One behaviour of the installer is odd (and is the same in previous releases) in that when the partitioning window appears it automatically populates Snakeoil as the sole OS overwriting everything else on the hard disk. This is not the standard Ubiquity method which gives various options when other os' and partitions are found. ie Replace,alongside, or 'something else' that takes you to the manual partitioning window.
For those unused to the Ubuntu installer it may mean that where they expect the default to be 'alongside' they end up with 'replace'.
(yes, I know there are warnings... but I have seen someone post on the forums that their drive was overwritten  Wink  )
Perhaps in the installation notes in the handbook you could point out that for a dual boot install with one or more existing os' they have to hit the 'revert' button on the partitioning window to bring up the existing partitioning layout for editing.