Can I have other shared folder than /Media/Music to store non music files?
Hi Agent Kith,

First of all, I want to recognize your work. I am a long time Vortexbox user, but now that I need to change the HDD, I decided to change also the OS as the Vortexbox (Fedora based, with LMS) is getting outdated.
Hence, I started to try a few OS dedicated to music, and, truly, your Snakeoil OS sounds better to me than Daphile and Vortexbox, with a bit more detail and presence, and better definition on bass and treble, so, good job, AK, good job! I will donate some money to help your development.

But one very usuful think Vortexbox has is to serve as a NAS, not only for music files, but for any type of files. I use Vortexbox as a backup to store personal files, pictures, etc. in my local network (by Samba share, I think). Also to serve movies to the typical Android TV box, etc. I mean, it is used not only for music playing.

As per the read in the Snakeoil wiki, I understand all user folders and files in Snakeoil are stored under /Media/Music, and LMS indexes and builds its DB from there.
I see that the user can create more mount points, but I believe all will be hung under Media/Music. Could it be posible to create other mount points or directories than Media/Music, visible across the local network? For example, /Home, or /Media/Movies, /Media/xxxxxxx, ... In that way, the user would have the option to use the server to store other things than music (but LMS would keep looking only at /Media/Music to build its DB)
Is there any way to do this?

Many thanks and keep this good work!

(08-Jul-2020, 11:50 PM)audioforevsno Wrote: Could it be posible to create other mount points or directories than Media/Music, visible across the local network? For example, /Home, or /Media/Movies, /Media/xxxxxxx, ... In that way, the user would have the option to use the server to store other things than music (but LMS would keep looking only at /Media/Music to build its DB)
Is there any way to do this?

Many thanks and keep this good work!
Hi. Thanks for the kind feedback. It's a yes and no to your question. Let me explain.

Yes: Snakeoil OS is not locked down like other audiophile OSes. You have complete control on the operating system. This means you can SSH into the machine, and install samba (IIRC it will be "sudo apt install  samba-server"), and configure the windows sharing by modifying /etc/smb.conf (or /etc/samba/smb.conf). You can likewise do this with NFS, and others.

No: Unfortunately you have to do everything from the command line at this stage. The WebApp doesn't do this yet. Development have stalled since COVID-19 and my day job is really taking all of my energy right now.

I know it's really bad form to whinge that I still have a job and can still breathe normally (These are the very things people affected by the pandamic wants right now), and yeah those two things can be ripped from my at any given time, without prior notice.. It is what it is I guess. Apologies and I hope to get my mind focused back on this sooner, rather than later.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

OK, AK, thanks!.  Time to learn a bit of Linux... Smile

And you do not have to apologize at all. Yes, health is the first thing to think about, together with work priorities... I suffered the covid-19; I was isolated for a whole month at home until I fully recovered, and I was lucky; others don't ...

This pandemic is a very hard thing... take care!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audioforevsno's post:
  • agent_kith

(10-Jul-2020, 06:49 PM)audioforevsno Wrote: OK, AK, thanks!.  Time to learn a bit of Linux... Smile
Let me know if you have any problems. I can also put up some HOWTO instructions in the wiki if it's gonna make things easier.

(10-Jul-2020, 06:49 PM)audioforevsno Wrote: And you do not have to apologize at all. Yes, health is the first thing to think about, together with work priorities... I suffered the covid-19; I was isolated for a whole month at home until I fully recovered, and I was lucky; others don't ...
Wow. Take care.

(10-Jul-2020, 06:49 PM)audioforevsno Wrote: This pandemic is a very hard thing... take care!
It is really hard.

Yesterday, for the first time in a really long time, I sat down and listen to some music properly. Sitting down and listen for pure enjoyment/relaxation, not critical evaluation. Just sitting there and let music carry me. It was only for a short period of time (probably around 40 minutes?), but man that felt so good.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!