Cannot get HDMI signal
Interesting in the screen cap that the sample rate output is listed as S32_LE (44100/1)   does your AVR actually accept 32 bit word length ?
I would expect that S16_LE  or S24_LE  would work ...

Can you run
Code:
aplay -L
from Snakeoil and post the output...
and the output from
Code:
cat /proc/asound/modules

Just checked the specs on your AVR it's 24/192 burr brown converters so while Snakeoil/jriver-player is sending S32_LE (44100/1) the AVR won't recognise that as a valid HDMI stream.

@agent_kith    comments ?

(21-Jan-2020, 11:24 AM)Bromf Wrote: @agent_kith    comments ?
It should be fine in theory, and practice IME. At least the last time I tried this.

Some players (e.g. Squeezelite) always open as 32 bits, but the receiving DAC sees/knows the data is 1 bit, 16 bits or 24 bits. It's an ALSA thing I guess.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(21-Jan-2020, 11:24 AM)Bromf Wrote: Interesting in the screen cap that the sample rate output is listed as S32_LE (44100/1)   does your AVR actually accept 32 bit word length ?
I would expect that S16_LE  or S24_LE  would work ...

Can you run
Code:
aplay -L
from Snakeoil and post the output...
and the output from
Code:
cat /proc/asound/modules

Just checked the specs on your AVR it's 24/192 burr brown converters so while Snakeoil/jriver-player is sending S32_LE (44100/1) the AVR won't recognise that as a valid HDMI stream.

@agent_kith    comments ?

I did not get notified of your reply, so I apologize for not getting back to you.  Thank  you for your help.
The response to aplay -L is
"null" then skips a line and says "Discard all samples (playback0 or generate zero samples (capture)"

The response to cat /proc/asound/modules is: "No such file or directory"

I also ran "aplay -l" while playing music via SPDIF and the response is "aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found..."

Response to cat /proc/asound/cards/ is:
0      [PCH       ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

To add some more information.  I notice the following concerning the audio path in Jriver.

Input: 44.1kHz 16bit 2 ch from source format FLAC
Output: 44.1 kHz 32 bit 2 ch using ALSA (Direct Connection)

The input and output path is the same when using optical SPDIF, which does work fine.  Same processor for HDMI and SPDIF optical.

I recently ran into an issue where my current connection via optical SPDIF will not play 192kHz material unless I downsample it to something less than 192kHz.

I will continue to see if I can get it to show 24 bit.

Edit: spent time working on this issue and was able to change the Jriver output to 16 bit, identical to the input source, but still no HDMI output. Output showing 16bit and 32 bit work fine via SPDIF optical. Interestingly, when I set Jriver to output at 24 bit, it will not work in SPDIF.   Best I can determine, it is the HDMI connection which won't work for audio.  The HDMI connection does work for video when booting into the BIOS, so I don't suspect a NUC hardware issue.  The pre/pro HDMI connection works fine with a different source, a Roku or over the air antenna decoder. I seem to have this problem narrowed down to an ALSA software issue.

I was finally able to get a response to the aplay commands you requested using sudo aplay -l and aplay -L. I took a screenshot which I am attaching. Thank you for your help.

[Image: aplay2.png]

Card 0, device 3 is the HDMI output. Have to assume it's a kernel issue. Still yet to find the time to look into this closer, will let you know once I find out anything on this. Apologies for the delay.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(10-Feb-2020, 07:55 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Card 0, device 3 is the HDMI output. Have to assume it's a kernel issue. Still yet to find the time to look into this closer, will let you know once I find out anything on this. Apologies for the delay.

Thank you very much.  I understand, no worries!  As long as I know it is not something I set incorrectly, I can wait until you get time. 

Regards,
Rudy