Help  Search  Portal
 Portal  Search
Hello There, Guest!  Register  Login

General Website Update/Upgrade Announcements

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thanks to all the donations received so far I have collected enough money to secure a better hosting product for Snakeoil (see my blog post here). Still working on moving all the files from various locations back into single collection. When the dust has settled, all Snakeoil software will be located in a single place - here!  Kiss

The forum is also upgraded to the latest version that offers more security. Because of this upgrade I have reverted back to the original theme. Not entirely sure if I should use the previous theme to be honest as I like the less cluttered look of the default theme.

Other changes include changing my revision control from SVN to git. This will be important when I decide it's time to make Snakeoil fully open source.

So there are a lot of changes done on the web portal, and there are probably problems that I am unaware of just yet. If you find any problems, bugs, please post here so I am made aware of it.  Thanks
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
Sighz, seems there is a weird error now that we have moved to a new host. I suspect these issues have something to do with mod_security, and this will break forum (and blog) usability. In my previous hosting provider, it will ban your IP too!

In the past I just disabled mod_security and be done with it. But now that this moduble can't be disabled on the new host Cry. Hopefully I can generate these errors myself so it'd be a good test.

In the meantime, if you see this error, please try and contact me (via the blog contact me if the forums isn't working for you).

[Image: 406.png]

Update: Managed to find some instances where I get 406 and 501 errors. Seems different users will trigger this error in different ways (e.g. I did not get this error when I reset my password). Submitted a ticket and hopefully they can resolve this soon. My apologies guys.
[Image: help.gif]

Update 2: The 406/501 errors I managed to find are gone. Hopefully others issues are too. Please let me know if you are still having issues. Use the 'Contact' button at the top of the page if you can't post here.

Update 3: 406/501 errors resolved. Please comment below if you still have issues with the blogs/support forums. thanks.
(14-Nov-2016, 08:45 AM) agent_kith Wrote: Thanks to all the donations received so far I have collected enough money to secure a better hosting product for Snakeoil (see my blog post here). Still working on moving all the files from various locations back into single collection. When the dust has settled, all Snakeoil software will be located in a single place - here!  Kiss

This is why we can't have nice things. Angry Denial of service attack by some stupid jerk who tried to wipe out my bandwidth by launching multiple downloading (think thousands).

Wasted an entire weekend trying to identify what the problem is, and then the time to fix. Time I COULD HAVE used on improving Snakeoil.

F**king coward.
Hate
Snakeoil is moving to HTTPS. All content will be encrypted, including your password logins (This is a good thing for your security). You'd need to re-login with your credentials when using HTTPS.

Please develop a habit to ALWAYS use https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums from now on. And check that the page says secure. 

[Image: secure_content.png]

Note that as of today some pages are still not secure, as they point to videos and pictures from http streams. Hopefully there aren't many pages like this. Over time I will slowly check all the links and move them to the secured protocol, and add in something to prevent unsecured URLS.
(02-Mar-2017, 06:02 PM) agent_kith Wrote: Note that as of today some pages are still not secure, as they point to videos and pictures from http streams. Hopefully there aren't many pages like this. Over time I will slowly check all the links and move them to the secured protocol, and add in something to prevent unsecured URLS.

[Image: work.gif]
All (if not most) content on Snakeoil should now say "Secure" (See pic above). Any insecure images will now be proxied by a image proxy server, and all your login and cookies should pass via the SSL tunnel. This whole operation is motivated by this Google announcement: Link
Quote:To help users browse the web safely, Chrome indicates connection security with an icon in the address bar. Historically, Chrome has not explicitly labelled HTTP connections as non-secure. Beginning in January 2017 (Chrome 56), we’ll mark HTTP pages that collect passwords or credit cards as non-secure, as part of a long-term plan to mark all HTTP sites as non-secure.

A second change is a theme change in the support forum to something that's more browser friendly theme. So with a few display quirks aside, in general the entire site is more browser friendly now.
The website more or less look the same, but in the past 3 days I have updated to the latest MyBB and also tweaked the layout/aesthetics a little to make the whole UX better. Works great on mobile too!

Updating MyBB can be a real pain in the * so hopefully will not be doing anything like this again anytime soon.
[Image: ghost.gif]

Google SEO is also enabled - this gives us a better URL for everything on the forum now (see your browser's address bar, they're no longer cryptic and ful of numbers like before). This option will rank this site higher in Google.

Unfortunately this update could well break something, and I didn't test this feature much. if you have any problems with the forum right now, please use the "Contact" button located at the very top of this page and send me a note. thanks.
TapaTalk plugin has officially been removed. This plugin directed way too many bots to this website, and although they are stopped by the security measures, they're still chewing bandwidth.

Hopefully the mobile theme will suffice for most people using phones.
Forum software upgraded yet again. Always a painful process... :(

Think some sub-systems (My Alerts and Like) isn't working right now. Will fix 'em later this weekend.
Forum is broken
Background is black
Text is not visible
Sorry for my English
[GA-H170M-D3H + Skylake G4400 + SOtM tX-USB] -> L.K.S. Audio MH-DA003 USB Upgrade Edition -> Audio Note P2SE ->Tannoy D500

(05-Jun-2017, 02:42 PM) [email protected] Wrote: Forum is broken
Background is black
Text is not visible

So far cannot get get that issue over here. Can you do a CTRL+F5 and see if if the issue is fixed?

SnakeoilOS Mission
[-]

Our mission is to create a free to use computer OS that is easy to install, intuitive to operate and play music that will connect and engage with you emotionally.

SnakeoilOS gives you the freedom to spend more time on listening, enjoying and exploring music. Wasting time on computers is now a thing of the past! Everything is constantly evolving/improving. Please check back often for updates.

If you like this project, do show your support with a small token donation. All donations collected will be used to run this website, and for purchasing new equipment for the project.

Latest Threads
[-]
Advertising
[-]