Getting into Snakeoil -- early impressions and troubles
Music 
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to put together a flexible root-access music server...and I think one-of-a-kind.  I can see much time has gone into making this, so kudos!

I am using both Daphile and Snakeoil -- Snakeoil is definitely better audio quality!  The clarity is quite startling. 

That was obvious immediately.  I have tried Volumio, and Libreelec too for a short while, and previously used foobar2000 as a server on Windows.  Daphile seems to be a bit more mature and ready-to-go.  Installation is just a little surer and fewer glitches, but of course its a 'closed' system.  But because this is all about sound quality, I stick with Snakeoil OS.

I have been fooling around with music servers for some time since the days of Pogoplug!! Smile 

Some immediate notes:
1.  Can I please get clear instructions for upgrading to v1.2.0?  Running the script installer directly on the pre-existing Snakeoil v1.1.5, and then flashing 1.2.1 firmware causes the system to hang -- webapp does not start.  I don't understand how one can do a fresh install with the script if there is no prior Ubuntu version on there, right? While using scp/ssh to send the script over etc. is easy, is this how one is expected to use the script? What about a clean install to remove the old version? Etc...
* A step-by-step would be very useful.  Thanks.

2.  I am on v1.1.5, since trying to flash higher versions leads to mpd errors I have not really gone above that version. 
** What are the steps to fix mpd disconnected error?  I see some threads with fw fixes for mpd, but they don't necessarily work.

3.  My USB Sound card was recognized the very first time I set up Snakeoil.  It was plug-n-play-- BUT now it just refuses to see the USB card at all.  I have no clue why...The card is a Asus Xonar U7.  I have a great Topping DAC, but I wish to get the soundcard working for personal reasons.

4.  Is anyone using v1.2.1 ? How did you get past errors?
*I really want to get JRiver on this or even on v1.1.11.

5.  I would like to make a small donation and 'activate'. If I use PayPal the activation email is which one? The PayPal email..? And where does the activation code come from.

Thanks again for the efforts here, and for reading the post.  Hopefully with some answers I can be a happy camper!! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pathetic's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

Quote:5.  I would like to make a small donation and 'activate'. If I use PayPal the activation email is which one? The PayPal email..? And where does the activation code come from.

Not sure what "If I use PayPal the activation email is which one?" means ?

The activation email will come from AK once you make your small donation. It includes the activation details (may take a day or two Wink  This is a one-man (superhero !) dev ) and once activated you will have access to the most recent test builds (and the instructions using new install on latest  Ubuntu server base )...which are working fine here for me Cool.

(AK is the Man... I am constantly amazed at his dedication and drive for moving Snakeoil further and further ahead....he answers all your queries, develops the most amazing media player AND holds down a day job in some of the most inhospitable climatic conditions known to man ..Aka Perth -lol $ tongue .....and has family too !  Kiss so  welcome aboard and I am sure you will enjoy the journey with this most wondrous player... Smile )

post any questions and I'm sure the community will help !

Enjoy !
Bob. (A Daphile user too ;-)
[-] The following 3 users Like Bromf's post:
  • pathetic, fat cat, hkphantomgtr

(18-Jan-2022, 03:41 PM)Bromf Wrote: (AK is the Man... I am constantly amazed at his dedication and drive for moving Snakeoil further and further ahead....he answers all your queries, develops the most amazing media player AND holds down a day job in some of the most inhospitable climatic conditions known to man ..Aka Perth -lol $ tongue .....and has family too !  Kiss so  welcome aboard and I am sure you will enjoy the journey with this most wondrous player... Smile )
Only because I'm too cheap to install and run an air conditioner at home.
The sun is really unforgiving in the afternoon. I'm just wondering how the people survive up north. Where it was 50 degrees C last week. There's a prison there. Sure most don't have sympathies for people who may have broke the law. But if the conditions of 40 - 45 degrees is already this bad, I really can't help but think people would have fainted/died at 50.

Also, fun fact. Today is day #91 at my new work place. Meaning I'm around half way through my probation. Hopefully the next 89 days or so will good. Honestly I really enjoy working there, and the close proximity means I have more time to work on Snakeoil after work too. More importantly, I have the time and energy to listen to some music too. Something that has become a luxury these days.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • pathetic, hkphantomgtr

(18-Jan-2022, 03:41 PM)Bromf Wrote:
Quote:5.  I would like to make a small donation and 'activate'. If I use PayPal the activation email is which one? The PayPal email..? And where does the activation code come from.

Not sure what "If I use PayPal the activation email is which one?" means ?

The activation email will come from AK once you make your small donation. It includes the activation details (may take a day or two Wink  This is a one-man (superhero !) dev ) and once activated you will have access to the most recent test builds (and the instructions using new install on latest  Ubuntu server base )...which are working fine here for me Cool.

(AK is the Man... I am constantly amazed at his dedication and drive for moving Snakeoil further and further ahead....he answers all your queries, develops the most amazing media player AND holds down a day job in some of the most inhospitable climatic conditions known to man ..Aka Perth -lol $ tongue .....and has family too !  Kiss so  welcome aboard and I am sure you will enjoy the journey with this most wondrous player... Smile )

post any questions and I'm sure the community will help !

Enjoy !
Bob. (A Daphile user too ;-)

Activation done and acheived!
Yes. The OS is quite impressive in what flexibility it offers.  And it looks really well built.!!!!

Couple of  issues:  I have never been able to go above v1.1.5 without mpd failing.  If I go higher, mpd always says disconnected and I can never get it back to work.  Is there a sure fix that will work on 1.2.1.  Otherwise I will just not upgrade... Cry

I am using LMS just fine, but having mpd work would be great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pathetic's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

You may want to start with a fresh build and version 1.2.2.2 (Gear Isolation U2 Beta 1)
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Forum-Test-Builds

Use Ubuntu server base ( I find the Legacy download works best for me...when it comes to selecting options just add ssh server)
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-legacy...4/release/

Once installed do  ..

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install alsa-utils
sudo reboot

Once that is up and running we can explore the MPD hiccough (if it persists)
MPD is working well for me ...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • pathetic

(19-Jan-2022, 12:56 PM)Bromf Wrote: You may want to start with a fresh build and version 1.2.2.2 (Gear Isolation U2 Beta 1)
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Forum-Test-Builds

Use Ubuntu server base ( I find the Legacy download works best for me...when it comes to selecting options just add ssh server)
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-legacy...4/release/

Once installed do  ..

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install alsa-utils
sudo reboot

Once that is up and running we can explore the MPD hiccough (if it persists)
MPD is working well for me ...

Thanks for your reply!

1st Question:  I cannot access the beta page. Screenshot below:

==========================================Snakeoil Forums
[Image: nav_bit.png] Board Message
Snakeoil ForumsYou do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
  1. Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
  2. You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
  3. Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
  4. You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'pathetic'
====================================================

2nd Question:
How do I install? Just directly over v1.1.5 or with new USB installer.  Iw ill try that if I can get access to the beta files.