[SOLVED] How to install Netgear A6200 wifi drivers
Hi,

Up until today, I've used an ethernet connection for SO and it's worked flawlessly. However, due to switching over to NBN (and the router being in a different part of my house), this connection is no longer practical. I plugged in my Netgear A6200 wifi dongle and it does... nothing! It doesn't even light up; I plugged a generic USB mouse into the same USB slot and it lit up (and worked in my UEFI) immediately.

I've googled this issue and tried every instruction I can find, none of which have worked. This collection of instructions sounded hopeful:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/460277/h...k-on-14-04

But when I copy and paste the commands, they all fail at some point.

This means that I can't use my hi-fi at all now - TJ, please can you help me with this? I wasted hours of my time trying to fix the issue before to reaching out.
 Go to solution Reply

(24-Aug-2019, 06:56 PM)realysm42 Wrote: Hi,

Up until today, I've used an ethernet connection for SO and it's worked flawlessly. However, due to switching over to NBN (and the router being in a different part of my house), this connection is no longer practical. I plugged in my Netgear A6200 wifi dongle and it does... nothing! It doesn't even light up; I plugged a generic USB mouse into the same USB slot and it lit up (and worked in my UEFI) immediately.

I've googled this issue and tried every instruction I can find, none of which have worked. This collection of instructions sounded hopeful:

This means that I can't use my hi-fi at all now - TJ, please can you help me with this? I wasted hours of my time trying to fix the issue before to reaching out.
Wifi isn't supported at the moment. However, if you like, I can build a custom kernel, and you can setup wpa_supplicant manually to enable it. Do you want that?

As mentioned elsewhere, a better solution is to connect your PC to a wifi bridge, or a mesh and get connection from there. Ubiquity Unifi WAP now supports meshing and will be perfect for this (if it works, I have yet to try it).

Let me know if you want the Wifi kernel.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(24-Aug-2019, 08:09 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(24-Aug-2019, 06:56 PM)realysm42 Wrote: Hi,

Wifi isn't supported at the moment. However, if you like, I can build a custom kernel, and you can setup wpa_supplicant manually to enable it. Do you want that?

As mentioned elsewhere, a better solution is to connect your PC to a wifi bridge, or a mesh and get connection from there. Ubiquity Unifi WAP now supports meshing and will be perfect for this (if it works, I have yet to try it).

Let me know if you want the Wifi kernel.

Thanks TJ. I ended up buying a 30 meter Ethernet cable - much easier then messing about with this stuff.

(31-Aug-2019, 08:24 PM)realysm42 Wrote: Thanks TJ. I ended up buying a 30 meter Ethernet cable - much easier then messing about with this stuff.
Go to admit, been so deep down the Wifi rabbit hole, I failed to consider this solution! At all.. You guys keep me grounded, and serves as a constant reminder the simplest solution is the best solution Big Grin ...
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!