How to install server software
Hi all,
Looking to convert my Snakeoil machine to server only (have bought separate renderer). Was thinking to try MinimServer, Roon and JRiver...or other suggestions.

Is there anything that can be installed via the System tab? ...without need to ssh. 

Otherwise any tips or links would be appreciated. In the first instance, I thought to use my Pi4 Snakeoil machine but I'll later rebuild my i7 server. If complicated, I probably should wait until that build is done.

Thanks,
JD

(24-Mar-2021, 12:42 PM)JD1 Wrote: Hi all,
Looking to convert my Snakeoil machine to server only (have bought separate renderer). Was thinking to try MinimServer, Roon and JRiver...or other suggestions.

Is there anything that can be installed via the System tab? ...without need to ssh. 

Otherwise any tips or links would be appreciated. In the first instance, I thought to use my Pi4 Snakeoil machine but I'll later rebuild my i7 server. If complicated, I probably should wait until that build is done.

Thanks,
JD

Make a small donation and you can then activate all the available servers and players. You will also get access to 1.2 Alpha which runs on Ubuntu 20.04.  JRiver runs on 20.04.

MinimServer is installed as a Starter edition with limited functionality and there is a 1 month trial available. It is an excellent UPnP server with lots of rich functionality including convolution room correction.

JRiver can also act as a UPnP server and may be a better choice than MinimServer if you do not need the advanced features.

Upmpdcli is a UPnP renderer (player) and is essentially a UPnP wrapper around Mpd.

Roon is liked by many people, but the Roon server needs grunt and SSDs.  However, I did not find enough value.

Thanks Snoopy.

Happy to donate more but I think I'm already using a fully activated version of Snakeoil. Possibly it's coz I'm currently using the version for Pi4 that some server options are not available?  I remember seeing more on my previous i7 Snakeoil machine.

My new renderer has its own proprietary OS and software so no chance for me to install Snakeoil or MPD on that. It does see Roon and UPnP servers though.  Based on sound quality alone, have you ever found a preferred server software?

Cheers,
JD

(24-Mar-2021, 08:04 PM)JD1 Wrote: Thanks Snoopy.

Happy to donate more but I think I'm already using a fully activated version of Snakeoil. Possibly it's coz I'm currently using the version for Pi4 that some server options are not available?  I remember seeing more on my previous i7 Snakeoil machine.

My new renderer has its own proprietary OS and software so no chance for me to install Snakeoil or MPD on that. It does see Roon and UPnP servers though.  Based on sound quality alone, have you ever found a preferred server software?

Cheers,
JD
If you have a fully activated version of SnakeOil, you should see a separate SnakeOil tab where you can install/uninstall various players.  If not, then please donate.

I had a similar situation like yours when I had a renderer/player which was closed. I became a big user of MinimServer and trialed Roon.  At that time and with a previous setup, MinimServer sounded better than Roon but it is setup dependent. I have personally heard a number of native music Apps to be better than Roon; this has been mentioned by other users as well.  BUT, Roon SQ appeared to be have improved recently, so it is a moving target. 

What I am sure of is my preference for Mpd, now going back many years.  I doubt I will ever move to Roon.

Hi Snoopy,
My experience is similar.  Not impressed with Roon years ago but heard of improvements made since. Moved from LMS/SL some months back to MPD and loved MPD. Sadly I can't use it now.

Many many player options on my Snakeoil tab but only LMS as a server option.

(24-Mar-2021, 12:42 PM)JD1 Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks,
JD

Maybe you'll be interested in this thread https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...inimserver

(24-Mar-2021, 09:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: Hi Snoopy,
My experience is similar.  Not impressed with Roon years ago but heard of improvements made since. Moved from LMS/SL some months back to MPD and loved MPD. Sadly I can't use it now.

Pi is still a work in progress. What server only software are you looking at to run for Pi?

I finally freed up a Pi for me to test the new installer on... Once I get it up and running things should be progressing somewhat quicker then...

Still on my work probation, so I'm working longer hours... Unfortunately not a lot of time to look into Snakeoil when I'm home.. Sad But will see what I can do in the weekend and the coming long weekend.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(26-Mar-2021, 08:15 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(24-Mar-2021, 09:50 PM)JD1 Wrote: Hi Snoopy,

Pi is still a work in progress. What server only software are you looking at to run for Pi?

I finally freed up a Pi for me to test the new installer on... Once I get it up and running things should be progressing somewhat quicker then...

Still on my work probation, so I'm working longer hours... Unfortunately not a lot of time to look into Snakeoil when I'm home.. Sad But will see what I can do in the weekend and the coming long weekend.

Hey, Agent Kith, pls. get more rest first, so that you can install better server to build SnakeOil.    Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks Agent Kith. Please don't rush any Pi development on my account. It will make more sense for me to compare different servers on my i7 Snakeoil server once it has been assembled. 

It's been a year since I used a non-arm version of Snakeoil so if someone can post a screen shot of the servers/players available in Snakeoil tab when using x86 64 firmware 1.1.11, that would be very helpful...or just let me know whether MinimServer and Roon Server are still there.

Apart from those, would be nice if I could one day try JRiver. 

Cheers,
JD