How to mount Exfat formatted USB drive?
Hi Agent Kith,

Might be a dumb question, but how do I mount an Exfat formatted USB drive? I already added the Exfat support via the checkbox. Just not sure what to enter as the media and mount point. I tried dev/sdb1 and it didn't work.

With this install, snakeoil is running on a USB stick, and the external USB drive only has 1 partition, with a single folder named "music" that contains all the music. There are no other drives in the computer. Only the USB drive running Snakeoil and the external storage drive. 

Thanks!

once you have installed the exFAT package from the Snakeoil menu, this should show up, select this when mounting a exFat partition.

[Image: exFat.png]
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I did that but I'm obviously not typing the correct things in the boxes.

This is what I'm getting when I try to add it. 

[Image: Screen-Shot-2018-10-20-at-11-41-34-AM.png]

But I thought of something. When you use a MAC to format a drive to Exfat, it won't work with Windows. However when you use Windows to format to Exfat, it works on both Windows and MAC. This drive was formatted to Exfat with a MAC. Could that be the issue?

(21-Oct-2018, 03:12 AM)Mivera Wrote: But I thought of something. When you use a MAC to format a drive to Exfat, it won't work with Windows. However when you use Windows to format to Exfat, it works on both Windows and MAC. This drive was formatted to Exfat with a MAC. Could that be the issue?
Interesting. THe translations don't appear to work...

Try the solution here and see if it works. If you don't have windows, maybe can SSH inito the computer and run this:
Code:
fsck.exfat /dev/sdb1

Then try and mount the drive again.

(21-Oct-2018, 07:13 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(21-Oct-2018, 03:12 AM)Mivera Wrote: But I thought of something. When you use a MAC to format a drive to Exfat, it won't work with Windows. However when you use Windows to format to Exfat, it works on both Windows and MAC. This drive was formatted to Exfat with a MAC. Could that be the issue?

Try the solution here and see if it works. If you don't have windows, maybe can SSH inito the computer and run this:
Code:
fsck.exfat /dev/sdb1

Thanks will try the drive fix in the link. I'll let you know if it worked.

(21-Oct-2018, 07:13 AM)agent_kith Wrote:

Code:
fsck.exfat /dev/sdb1

Thanks will try the drive fix in the link. I'll let you know if it worked.

It didn't work. We are just going to re-format the drive to NTFS.

(24-Oct-2018, 05:03 PM)Mivera Wrote: It didn't work. We are just going to re-format the drive to NTFS.
Which part didn't work, the fsck bit, or the bits outlined in the microsoft article?

Do you have a Windows machine? If you format to exFat via Windows does that work in Snakeoil?

(24-Oct-2018, 06:31 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 05:03 PM)Mivera Wrote: It didn't work. We are just going to re-format the drive to NTFS.
Which part didn't work, the fsck bit, or the bits outlined in the microsoft article?

Do you have a Windows machine? If you format to exFat via Windows does that work in Snakeoil? 

Just tried the Microsoft fix. Not gonna bother. I know NTFS works so might as well use it.

(25-Oct-2018, 02:14 AM)Mivera Wrote: Just tried the Microsoft fix. Not gonna bother. I know NTFS works so might as well use it. 
Thumbs Up FWIW, if you can, might as well try this experiment: compare audio quality of NTFS vs XFS.

Am interested to know whether you prefer one to another.