Help  Search  Portal
 Portal  Search
Hello There, Mystery Audiophile!  Register  Login

How to properly quote messages.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

One of the least understood features of a forum is how to properly reply/respond to a quoted post. A lot of the forum software out there are difficult to use, MyBB is the exception (reason why I chose myBB here).

To respond to a single post, click the "REPLY" button of the post. To respond to multiple posts, quick the "QUOTE" buttons of all the posts and then click "NEW REPLY" at the bottom of the thread.

Now this is the cool part - how to break a quote into multiple blocks. Splitting up a quote into individual "blocks" is a more effective way of communicating (IMO of course).

Follow the steps outlined below (You can click the images below to view the full resolution version):
[Image: quote_1.png]
Once you click the " button, the quote will be broken up in two like so:
[Image: quote_2.png]

[Image: quote_3.png]
Now that will add a new empty space between the quote blocks, for you to enter your response, like so:
[Image: quote_4.png]

And that's it.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
1) Here is what I get if I select "Reply" to your tutorial..
EDIT.. well you would see it if only MyHopelessBB actually uploaded the image...see below.

If you could see it you would....
Note the absence of any tools or navigation toolbars, and if I click on any Smilies nothing happens.

Lol now it won't even upload my 99kB screenshot...!!

"Can not upload file - Too large for php post_max_size directive. Please press the back button."

Using Firefox on Ubuntu. This works for other forums such as DiyAudio and Pentax Forum's normal BB code.
(06-Jul-2017, 05:49 PM) Bromf Wrote: 1) Here is what I get if I select "Reply" to your tutorial..
EDIT.. well you would see it if only MyHopelessBB actually uploaded the image...see below.

If you could see it you would....
Note the absence of any tools or navigation toolbars, and if I click on any Smilies nothing happens.

Seems like the javascript engine isn't running. When you press F12 and get into the debug console, do you see any errors?

(06-Jul-2017, 05:49 PM) Bromf Wrote: Lol now it won't even upload my 99kB screenshot...!!

"Can not upload file - Too large for php post_max_size directive. Please press the back button."

That doesn't sound right, it's probably another issue. Don't think normal users can do attachments to this forum (I'm the only person who can). You should see a "Add Picture" button on the bottom of post. That's assuming if your javascript engine is running.

(06-Jul-2017, 05:49 PM) Bromf Wrote: Using Firefox on Ubuntu. This works for other forums such as DiyAudio and Pentax Forum's normal BB code.

Try Ubuntu Chrome and see how it goes?
(07-Jul-2017, 07:53 AM) agent_kith Wrote: Try Ubuntu Chrome and see how it goes?

That works . Though I loathe Chrome/ium. Downloaded it to test and will now purge it.   Wink  
Will experiment with Firefox settings and plugins to see what might be the cause.
(07-Jul-2017, 02:27 PM) Bromf Wrote: That works . Though I loathe Chrome/ium. Downloaded it to test and will now purge it.   Wink  

Me too.. Big Grin Chrome was good when it's first released, then it's all the way downhill from there.

I havn't made the switch yet, but personally I like Opera - this browser is blazingly quick. wacky

(07-Jul-2017, 02:27 PM) Bromf Wrote: Will experiment with Firefox settings and plugins to see what might be the cause.

Don't think you need any plugins for Firefox to work - but you may have some plugins that disable certain javascript stuffs.

Check the about:config and the preferences and make sure the javascript settings are right, and it's running. The debug console (F12) should in theory pretty much tell you straight away what the problem is.
New feature of quoting, highlight the text you are interested in, and then click the "REPLY" button. The quote will appear in the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page. Do this multiple times if you want multiple quotes. Pretty cool feature.

[Image: New_Quote_Feature.png]

SnakeoilOS Mission
[-]

Our mission is to create a free to use computer OS that is easy to install, intuitive to operate and play music that will connect and engage with you emotionally.

SnakeoilOS gives you the freedom to spend more time on listening, enjoying and exploring music. Wasting time on computers is now a thing of the past! Everything is constantly evolving/improving. Please check back often for updates.

If you like this project, do show your support with a small token donation. All donations collected will be used to run this website, and for purchasing new equipment for the project.

Latest Threads
[-]
Advertising
[-]