Installation problem
I am very interested in this OS for a dedicated audio pc.  Using your instructions I have managed to install the 64 bit iso.  The OS boots and runs off the USB stick and as an install in an internal HDD.

The system 'sees' the HDMI, analog and digital ALC887.  My problem is that I get no sound at all regardless of player used or output volume. 

If I can get the Os to work on my system, I would be more than glad to contribute to the cause. I am tired of using Windows.

Processor is AMD E-350 processor with 8GB ram.
board is Asus E35M1-M Pro.

Thank you for any assistance.

(20-Oct-2019, 02:27 AM)Rudy81 Wrote: I am very interested in this OS for a dedicated audio pc.  Using your instructions I have managed to install the 64 bit iso.  The OS boots and runs off the USB stick and as an install in an internal HDD.

The system 'sees' the HDMI, analog and digital ALC887.  My problem is that I get no sound at all regardless of player used or output volume. 

If I can get the Os to work on my system, I would be more than glad to contribute to the cause. I am tired of using Windows.

Processor is AMD E-350 processor with 8GB ram.
board is Asus E35M1-M Pro.

Thank you for any assistance.

Update:
I applied the latest firmware update and then, after reading many of your posts, I was able to apply the sudo alsamixer command and noted that the SPDIF is muted.  When un-muting, I am now getting sound sent digitally to my DAC.  It works.  The HDMI portion still does not work, but it's a start.

The problem, however persists after every reboot. How can I get the soundcard settings to stay permanently? I have tried to SSH and run "alsactl store", but I get an access denied comment.  Not sure I am setting the command correctly....I know very little about working with Linux, Ubuntu etc.

You should be able to configure from the web page.... scroll down to ALSA output devices

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Configu...ic-players

Snakeoil has a superb wiki ...
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Main_Page

For your ssh option use...
Code:
sudo alsactl store

Thank you.  I will keep working on it.  Thus far nothing works to keep the SPDIF working after a reboot.  I have to go back into the alsamixer and unmute things.

(20-Oct-2019, 06:30 AM)Rudy81 Wrote: Thank you.  I will keep working on it.  Thus far nothing works to keep the SPDIF working after a reboot.  I have to go back into the alsamixer and unmute things.

Well, I am about to give up on this journey.  12+ hours working on this and although it works, I always have to go into the alsa mixer to unmute the SPDIF.  I have set everything up and run 'sudo alsactl store' to no avail.  Very frustrating to be so close yet so far.  The sound with the included players is excellent via SPDIF. But, not being able to reboot the machine without major work to unmute things is not what I need to work with.  Sadly, I am not conversant in the computer language area.

I know it can work because I loaded Euphony trial and it worked out of the box on HDMI and SPDIF.  I am not going to pay almost $300 for software, so it may be back to windows and Jriver MC.

Thank you for the help.

(20-Oct-2019, 08:12 AM)Rudy81 Wrote: Well, I am about to give up on this journey.  12+ hours working on this and although it works, I always have to go into the alsa mixer to unmute the SPDIF.  I have set everything up and run 'sudo alsactl store' to no avail.  Very frustrating to be so close yet so far.  The sound with the included players is excellent via SPDIF. But, not being able to reboot the machine without major work to unmute things is not what I need to work with.  Sadly, I am not conversant in the computer language area.

I know it can work because I loaded Euphony trial and it worked out of the box on HDMI and SPDIF.  I am not going to pay almost $300 for software, so it may be back to windows and Jriver MC.

Thank you for the help.
This is a strange one. When you reboot, and confirm there's no sound on your audio card. What happens when you then SSH into the machine and run the following?
Code:
sudo alsactl restore

Let me know if that works. If yes, I'll just setup Snakeoil to run this everytime on boot up to restore the saved settings.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I am wondering if the O/P comment....
Quote:The OS boots and runs off the USB stick and as an install in an internal HDD

Is it running from the USB stick and therefore not saved or from the hard-drive...???

(20-Oct-2019, 03:13 PM)Bromf Wrote: Is it running from the USB stick and therefore not saved or from the hard-drive...???
That sounds like the problem. Good point there. The USB acts like a LiveCD, and on reboot it will always be in "stock configuration". Probably why the audio device is mute all the time. OP, can try removing the USB stick and see if it works?

Snake Oil is running from a hard drive.  I have, however tried a USB stick only and same issue. Las night I have re-intalled the OS from a fresh iso and still same issue. Just to be clear, once I install it from a USB stick, I reboot and remove the USB stick from there on.

I have entered 'sudo alsactl store' and 'sudo alsactl restore' from a connected terminal to that machine as well as SSH. When I enter those commands at my level or the root level, the system seems to accept them and returns to the prompt for that level.  I assume that is what is supposed to happen. The system does not respond with anything, just offers a new prompt.

I tried installs with the latest updates checked, and one without the updates checked. I tried updating to the latest firmware and one try with no fw update. 

BTW, when I reboot and the problem persists, using the 'set volume to 100%' in the Alsa output devices table, does nothing.  I actually have to open the alsamixer and manually un-mute the audio card.

I do appreciate your effort to get me going.  Thank you.

(20-Oct-2019, 11:38 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(20-Oct-2019, 08:12 AM)Rudy81 Wrote: Well, I am about to give up on this journey.  12+ hours working on this and although it works, I always have to go into the alsa mixer to unmute the SPDIF.  I have set everything up and run 'sudo alsactl store' to no avail.  Very frustrating to be so close yet so far.  The sound with the included players is excellent via SPDIF. But, not being able to reboot the machine without major work to unmute things is not what I need to work with.  Sadly, I am not conversant in the computer language area.

Thank you for the help.
This is a strange one. When you reboot, and confirm there's no sound on your audio card. What happens when you then SSH into the machine and run the following?
Code:
sudo alsactl restore

Let me know if that works. If yes, I'll just setup Snakeoil to run this everytime on boot up to restore the saved settings.

agent_kith,
After some thought, I realized what you were trying to get me to do.  I took the following steps and running sudo alsactl restore seems to work.
-Boot machine
-Run player, result no sound
-run alsamixer and un-mute everything
-run sudo alsactl store
-reboot
-no sound again
-run 'sudo alsactl restore' per your suggestion, sound returns.
So, your suggestion works.  Now, how to get the machine to run the 'sudo alsactl restore' every time it boots?  Since I am not a computer genius like you guys, please provide very specific instructions. 

If we can get this to work permanently, I will then focus on getting HDMI to work and installing Jriver. 

Many thanks for your efforts.

(20-Oct-2019, 09:30 PM)Rudy81 Wrote: If we can get this to work permanently, I will then focus on getting HDMI to work and installing Jriver. 
These will be fixed in U8. The always mute feature, as well support for JRiver 25.

Will need to juggle things around as I'm in the middle of a big coding change on the Snakeoil WebApp atm.