Issues while connecting to my DAC
Hello,
i have recently purchased a new R2R -2  DAC, from audio-gd. http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R2/R2R2EN.htm

The OS recognizes the dac but can only play sound upto a minute, thereafter it goes mute and doesn't play at all. The usb module of the dac is [font]Amanero combo 384.[/font]

Any help is appreciated.

(15-May-2018, 11:29 AM)rockymystic Wrote: Hello,
i have recently purchased a new R2R -2  DAC, from audio-gd. http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R2/R2R2EN.htm

The OS recognizes the dac but can only play sound upto a minute, thereafter it goes mute and doesn't play at all. The usb module of the dac is Amanero combo 384.

Any help is appreciated.

Hmm. When music stopped, can you go into the music players tab and see if there are any devices in the status window? Did you see any errors with the players (server and client)? Or they all showing PID: XXXX (where XXXX is a number)?

What players have you tried? All showing the same problems?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(15-May-2018, 01:30 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(15-May-2018, 11:29 AM)rockymystic Wrote: Hello,

The OS recognizes the dac but can only play sound upto a minute, thereafter it goes mute and doesn't play at all. The usb module of the dac is Amanero combo 384.

Any help is appreciated.

Hmm. When music stopped, can you go into the music players tab and see if there are any devices in the status window? Did you see any errors with the players (server and client)? Or they all showing PID: XXXX (where XXXX is a number)?

What players have you tried? All showing the same problems?  

This is how it shows up even after the sound goes mute... 
[Image: Untitled.png]

(16-May-2018, 06:19 AM)rockymystic Wrote: This is how it shows up even after the sound goes mute...
So let's try and rule things out:
  1. Check if it's a USB cable, try a stock (but known to be working) USB cable and see if you're getting the same problem
  2. Check if it's a player problem. Change the player to MPD and play the same tracks
  3. Check if it's a firmware problem. I think the Amanero  board is firmware updatable. What version are you on? Check with King-Wa on how to do this
  4. Once the music stops, generate the diagnostics file, and send it to snakeoil.os 'at' gmail.com

(16-May-2018, 08:53 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(16-May-2018, 06:19 AM)rockymystic Wrote: This is how it shows up even after the sound goes mute...
So let's try and rule things out:
  1. Check if it's a USB cable, try a stock (but known to be working) USB cable and see if you're getting the same problem
  2. Check if it's a player problem. Change the player to MPD and play the same tracks
  3. Check if it's a firmware problem. I think the Amanero  board is firmware updatable. What version are you on? Check with King-Wa on how to do this
  4. Once the music stops, generate the diagnostics file, and send it to snakeoil.os 'at' gmail.com

Hello,
I am currently using the stock cable provided by audio gd. I have tested it on my windows laptop and it is working fine without any issues. I cant try MPD player since i dont have any preamp to control the volume( I am on a 2.1 configuration and the volume on my ampilifier  and subwoofer is matched, I am using the internal volume of the software to control for now).
Yesterday, i tried to play again but after a minute i started hearing pop/crackle noises while the songs while the songs were playing.. i had to shut the system shortly after as it could damage speakers.
I will try again in sometime and see if the noise or the mute situation continues  and will generate the diagnostics log

(17-May-2018, 05:40 AM)rockymystic Wrote: I am currently using the stock cable provided by audio gd. I have tested it on my windows laptop and it is working fine without any issues. I cant try MPD player since i dont have any preamp to control the volume( I am on a 2.1 configuration and the volume on my ampilifier  and subwoofer is matched, I am using the internal volume of the software to control for now).
You can add the following in the options field to adjust volume:
Code:
mixer_type <hardware, software or none>
Use software (as I'm pretty sure most USB DACs don't do hardware VC via the USB audio device).

(17-May-2018, 05:40 AM)rockymystic Wrote: Yesterday, i tried to play again but after a minute i started hearing pop/crackle noises while the songs while the songs were playing.. i had to shut the system shortly after as it could damage speakers.
I will try again in sometime and see if the noise or the mute situation continues  and will generate the diagnostics log 
This is indeed a strange one. Do you have another USB DAC to play around with? Any problems with that second DAC?

Hopefully you'd get what I'm getting at - try various options suggested above so we can better isolate what is causing this issue (i.e. is it Snakeoil OS, is it computer, is it DAC, is it cable, and so on).

(17-May-2018, 07:50 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(17-May-2018, 05:40 AM)rockymystic Wrote: I am currently using the stock cable provided by audio gd. I have tested it on my windows laptop and it is working fine without any issues. I cant try MPD player since i dont have any preamp to control the volume( I am on a 2.1 configuration and the volume on my ampilifier  and subwoofer is matched, I am using the internal volume of the software to control for now).
You can add the following in the options field to adjust volume:
Code:
mixer_type <hardware, software or none>
Use software (as I'm pretty sure most USB DACs don't do hardware VC via the USB audio device).
(17-May-2018, 05:40 AM)rockymystic Wrote: Yesterday, i tried to play again but after a minute i started hearing pop/crackle noises while the songs while the songs were playing.. i had to shut the system shortly after as it could damage speakers.
This is indeed a strange one. Do you have another USB DAC to play around with? Any problems with that second DAC?

Hopefully you'd get what I'm getting at - try various options suggested above so we can better isolate what is causing this issue (i.e. is it Snakeoil OS, is it computer, is it DAC, is it cable, and so on). 

Prior to using the audio gd dac, i used another small usb  dac that was supplied by the glow audio one tube amp manufacturer, i had been using it for past 3 years and it had no problem at all. I used it till last week attached to the snake oil os installed laptop.  I will definitely try again probably this saturday.

I have shared the diagnostics file to your gmail account

(19-May-2018, 11:31 PM)rockymystic Wrote: I have shared the diagnostics file to your gmail account

Nothing looks out of the ordinary. So at this stage it looks more like software than hardware. Have you alreayd tried other Squeezelite and confirm they all have the same problems? Please try these steps to rule out other
  1. Update to the latest firmware (1.0.11)
  2. Tried another USB cable
  3. Have you tried other versions of Squeezelite? and MPD.
  4. Have you tried and see if you can update the USB firmware?
If all the suggestions here and above don't work for you. Then perhaps it's the Linux kernel, so far the diagnostics file doesn't tell me anything useful... Can you SSH into the machine, and run this command when the playback stops again?
Code:
cat /var/tmp/std*