JRiver Media Center 27 for Linux
Agent Kith - I'm wondering if the new version of JRiver (27) will be compatible with SnakeOil?  I'm not sure if the fact that version 27 is based on Debian BUSTER is a problem due to my lack of knowledge of Linux.

[Image: Jriver27-Debian-Buster.jpg]

Thanks!

Hi,

27 is new, so it's not fully supported yet. Also you'll need to manually upgrade Snakeoil PC to Ubuntu 18.04LTS before this will work. I will probably create a wiki to walk you guys through this (as various attempts at automating this failed).

Will create a ticket to monitor this: Link.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • musicnut23, BioBrian

(21-Sep-2020, 08:03 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Hi,

27 is new, so it's not fully supported yet. Also you'll need to manually upgrade Snakeoil PC to Ubuntu 18.04LTS before this will work. I will probably create a wiki to walk you guys through this (as various attempts at automating this failed).

Awesome Smile  What if I'm already running Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS?   I upgraded before the auto update feature went away.

(21-Sep-2020, 08:03 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Also you'll need to manually upgrade Snakeoil PC to Ubuntu 18.04LTS before this will work. I will probably create a wiki to walk you guys through this (as various attempts at automating this failed).

This article seems OK?
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-upg...-terminal/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • patricia1066

(27-Sep-2020, 12:40 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(21-Sep-2020, 08:03 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Also you'll need to manually upgrade Snakeoil PC to Ubuntu 18.04LTS before this will work. I will probably create a wiki to walk you guys through this (as various attempts at automating this failed).

This article seems OK?
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-upg...-terminal/
About 99% there. But there is an additional step, when prompted to update lighttpd.conf configuration, select 'N'.. And all should be good..

(21-Sep-2020, 08:03 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Hi,

Hello Agent Kith - Appreciate your assistance, and please read through carefully as I added a few things as I did further research.

I installed JRiver27 after upgrading SnakeOil to the latest Firmware and ran into problems.  Wasn't sure where to post, so I'm just tagging onto this thread.

Edit:  Tried using the VNCViewer after installing JRiver27, and the player didn't auto launch.  I went to the command line and tried to manually launch Jriver27 and was given a message about glibc6 not being up-to-date (see below).

Seems there are dependency issues that I do not know how to work with.  Ubuntu 18.04 says that the latest version of libc6 is installed, but JRiver is asking for a newer version.  I've tried a system update/upgrade.  That didn't help.  

[Image: dependency-Issue.jpg]

After further research - It seems I must do a distro-upgrade to 19x for glibc2.28 or higher.  Will I break SnakeOil if I do this?

[Image: glib-C2-28-Ubuntu19.jpg]

Anyway - I'm going back to JRiver26 for now until I know whether or not you feel I can do a distro upgrade without breaking things.

Thanks!

(08-Oct-2020, 11:22 PM)musicnut23 Wrote: Seems there are dependency issues that I do not know how to work with.  Ubuntu 18.04 says that the latest version of libc6 is installed, but JRiver is asking for a newer version.  I've tried a system update/upgrade.  That didn't help.  
Are you on Ubuntu 16.x or 18.x at the moment? LTS are even numbers so there's no 19.
For starts, run the suggested command:
Code:
apt --fix-broken install

And see what happens.

Let me know how it goes.

(09-Oct-2020, 09:12 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(08-Oct-2020, 11:22 PM)musicnut23 Wrote: Seems there are dependency issues that I do not know how to work with.  Ubuntu 18.04 says that the latest version of libc6 is installed, but JRiver is asking for a newer version.  I've tried a system update/upgrade.  That didn't help.  
Are you on Ubuntu 16.x or 18.x at the moment? LTS are even numbers so there's no 19.
For starts, run the suggested command:
Code:
apt --fix-broken install

And see what happens.

Let me know how it goes.

I've been on 18.04 since the system upgrade button still worked.  It was the only way I could get Jriver25/26 to work last year.

I started over just now to provide better info hopefully:

1) First the error when I drag and drop the .deb into the system console gui installer you provide:

SHA1SUM: 66a758c2c4ca71f42442bcd1d0326b7b317c4370

Selecting previously unselected package mediacenter27.
(Reading database ... 67723 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../MediaCenter-27.0.20-amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mediacenter27 (27.0.20) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mediacenter27:
 mediacenter27 depends on libc6 (>= 2.28); however:
  Version of libc6:amd64 on system is 2.27-3ubuntu1.2.
 mediacenter27 depends on libasound2 (>= 1.1.8); however:
  Version of libasound2:amd64 on system is 1.1.3-5ubuntu0.5.
 mediacenter27 depends on libuuid1 (>= 2.33); however:
  Version of libuuid1:amd64 on system is 2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3.7.
 mediacenter27 depends on libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.24); however:
  Version of libgtk-3-0:amd64 on system is 3.22.30-1ubuntu4.
 mediacenter27 depends on libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.42) | libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.42); however:
  Version of libpango-1.0-0:amd64 on system is 1.40.14-1ubuntu0.1.
  Package libpango1.0-0 is not installed.
 mediacenter27 depends on libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.42) | libpango-cairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.42); however:
  Version of libpangoft2-1.0-0:amd64 on system is 1.40.14-1ubuntu0.1.
  Package libpango-cairo-1.0-0 is not installed.
 mediacenter27 depends on libpangoxft-1.0-0 (>= 1.42); however:
  Version of libpangoxft-1.0-0:amd64 on system is 1.40.14-1ubuntu0.1.
 mediacenter27 depends on libnss3 (>= 2:3.42); however:
  Version of libnss3:amd64 on system is 2:3.35-2ubuntu2.12.
 mediacenter27 depends on libnspr4 (>= 2:4.20); however:
  Version of libnspr4:amd64 on system is 2:4.18-1ubuntu1.
 mediacenter27 depends on libfribidi0 (>= 1.0.5); however:
  Version of libfribidi0:amd64 on system is 0.19.7-2.
 mediacenter27 depends on libfontconfig1 (>= 2.13); however:
  Version of libfontconfig1:amd64 on system is 2.12.6-0ubuntu2.
 mediacenter27 depends on libfreetype6 (>= 2.9.1); however:
  Version of libfreetype6:amd64 on system is 2.8.1-2ubuntu2.
 mediacenter27 depends on libharfbuzz0b (>= 2.3.1); however:
  Version of libharfbuzz0b:amd64 on system is 1.7.2-1ubuntu1.

dpkg: error processing package mediacenter27 (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.9-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mediacenter27
*** ERROR *** Problem installing deb file

2) Next I went ahead and opened up the VNC Viewer just in case, because this worked in the past for JRiver26.  26 did install, and I was always able to use it.  However - For Jriver27 - the server does NOT start.

3) From the console (via VNC Viewer for JRiver27) I attempted "apt --fix -broken install" - this uninstalls Jriver27 defeating the purpose.

root@snakoilaudio:/var/www# sudo apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libwayland-egl1-mesa
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mediacenter27
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 206 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

4) I looked for a way to install libc6 2.28 only to find (I believe) that 18.04LTS does not support it

Looking at what you have done so far, it almost feels like JRiver27 will work for Ubuntu 20.x.

LTS means long term support. in the sense that the OS will continue to receive updates and security patches for a long time, for Ubuntu 16.04, this means Canonical will stop supporting this OS at around Apr 2021.

So the OS itself has long term support, but it seems the makers of JRiver only releases deb for the latest Ubuntu... It's like LTS means nothing to them.

Why do I stick on 16.04 still? Frankly, because it sounds better. I don't really understand why, probably because we have spent years tweaking the sound. Changing the OS can alter that, e.g. I can never get 18.04 to sound like 16.04, and why I'm still on 16.04... But JRiver and HQPlayer have moved on. Do they just built their software on the latest platform, because it sounds better, or because, while the OS is newer?

Well, I'll never know. But moving forward, Snakeoil will be moving to 20.04 (as 16.04 support will end). When that happens, we restart the cycle to find the kernel that sounds best. Will also think of a way to make Snakeoil less depedent on the underlying OS... i.e. you guys can use any debian based system you want, and Snakeoil will work.. and so we can expand our reach, and thereby also increases the likelihood of finding a good sound combination.

So from the likes of it, JRiver Media27 will only work on Ubuntu 20.04... I hope to rush this out in the Dec holidays.

(11-Oct-2020, 05:18 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Looking at what you have done so far, it almost feels like JRiver27 will work for Ubuntu 20.x.

LTS means long term support. in the sense that the OS will continue to receive updates and security patches for a long time, for Ubuntu 16.04, this means Canonical will stop supporting this OS at around Apr 2021.

So the OS itself has long term support, but it seems the makers of JRiver only releases deb for the latest Ubuntu... It's like LTS means nothing to them.

Why do I stick on 16.04 still? Frankly, because it sounds better. I don't really understand why, probably because we have spent years tweaking the sound. Changing the OS can alter that, e.g. I can never get 18.04 to sound like 16.04, and why I'm still on 16.04... But JRiver and HQPlayer have moved on. Do they just built their software on the latest platform, because it sounds better, or because, while the OS is newer?

Well, I'll never know. But moving forward, Snakeoil will be moving to 20.04 (as 16.04 support will end). When that happens, we restart the cycle to find the kernel that sounds best. Will also think of a way to make Snakeoil less depedent on the underlying OS... i.e. you guys can use any debian based system you want, and Snakeoil will work.. and so we can expand our reach, and thereby also increases the likelihood of finding a good sound combination.

So from the likes of it, JRiver Media27 will only work on Ubuntu 20.04... I hope to rush this out in the Dec holidays.

No rush necessary! I will be happy to wait, now that I understand a bit more of why it won't work. I have a working system, and was just hopeful that I could upgrade the JRiver with a little work.

Also - I read that JRiver is only officially supporting Debian now. I was able to get JRiver running on the latest Debian release via a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox). Unfortunately I don't know how to strip the system for audio purposes or create an interface as you have done for Snakeoil.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out when it comes time to test. Happy to help if I'm able.