Native DSD
I have downloaded some native DSD 256 from HDTracks and am playing fine with LMS/Daphile -on a Minipc streaming from NAS to Snakeoil machine (also miniPC) -with SqueezeR2 as player.  Sounds great- my DAC is Lampizator B7 MK2 and accepts up to DSD 512 native.

MPD via upmpdcli doesn’t work with DSD256 - it plays but sounds jerky/stuttery and muffled.  I tried adding “+dsf” to the list of enabled formats under settings for upmpd under LMS advanced settings, but that doesn’t seem to fix it.  I suspect the problem is the upmpdcli connection doesn’t support it.  Will try myMPD to confirm.

Any other experiences / advice with this ?

So it isn’t mpd itself - using myMPD it works fine - actually sounds a lot better than Daphile/LMS/ squeezeR2 which has a higher background hiss- like tape hiss.  At first I assumed this was inherent to the recording, but it isn’t there with myMPD.  I attached a pic of the player info from SO machine and myMPD - seems right I guess- the file is DSD256.

As an aside - If you uninstall myMPD on the SO machine for any reason, you may have a difficult time reinstalling…I did.  Using 1.2.10 FW and Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on an Intel atom minipc.
I ended up having to drag/drop another myMPD .deb file installation into SO- searched  “myMPD Ubuntu jammy” and found a download, myMPD 9.1.2 and amd64 version for my case.  It worked fine though.   amd64 build of mympd 9.1.2-1ppa2~jammy : myMPD : Minho Park (launchpad.net)

Still working on the upmpdcli issue for DSF, if anyone has any advice would be interested.

I seem to have found the setting for native dsf/DSD over upmpcdli/mpd.  Go into advanced media server settings in LMS and select the upnpmpd player options - add the Marantz preset and save/restart the unpnp bridge and also the mpd player/upmpdcli in SO.  I also reset the max sample rate to that of my DAC and saved under LMS upnp bridge settings.  Now it works and sound is on par with myMPD.  There may be other ways/variations too but this worked for me.

I haven’t found a way to get squeezelite to pass native/non-DoP DSD to my DAC.  DoP seems to work fine though- which since is simply a “PCM wrapper” -should still be fine.  Still, it seems like this should be doable.  I tried updating squeezelite to the latest version and although it seemed to work according to SSH/console,  the info on LMS/Daphile still says 1.8.4 squeeze R2.  The “Ralph” version does indicate 1.9.x but neither pass native/dsf.

myMPD and mpd/upmpdcli -with settings above -pass native with DSD 64, 128, 256 without problems with the “static” version of upnp bridge seeming  to be more stable for this functionality in my system.

(13-Feb-2023, 12:13 PM)cpcat Wrote: I haven’t found a way to get squeezelite to pass native/non-DoP DSD to my DAC.  DoP seems to work fine though- which since is simply a “PCM wrapper” -should still be fine.  Still, it seems like this should be doable.  I tried updating squeezelite to the latest version and although it seemed to work according to SSH/console,  the info on LMS/Daphile still says 1.8.4 squeeze R2.  The “Ralph” version does indicate 1.9.x but neither pass native/dsf.

myMPD and mpd/upmpdcli -with settings above -pass native with DSD 64, 128, 256 without problems with the “static” version of upnp bridge seeming  to be more stable for this functionality in my system.
NativeDSD only works on certain DACs in the kernel.There is a custom native DSD kernel you can try to run that can force modify the kernel to feed a DSD stream format to your DAC and that should work, but there is one big caveat.
  1. You need an amplifier in the chain. Specifically a volume control that's not part of the DAC. Some people run their system from source (Snakeoil PC) direct to DAC and use the volume control on the DAC. VC on a DAC may not well work in this setup.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • cpcat

Thanks for the reply.  My DAC has a built in analog VC so can't see why it wouldn't work.  

Are you talking about the kernel in the "native DSD kernel " thread?  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/attac...hp?aid=342

I tried already to download, drag and drop in the load window in SO but it wouldn't work.  I assumed it was because it was old/old thread.

I am on 1.2.10, using Intel Atom 3900, ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.
My DAC is Lampizator Big 7 MKII, (JL Sounds which is on your list here I believe )-it works with native DSD/DSF using SO/ MPD, also works with Daphile/LMS for native DSD/DSF with Daphile version of squeezelite.

(15-Feb-2023, 09:19 AM)cpcat Wrote: Thanks for the reply.  My DAC has a built in analog VC so can't see why it wouldn't work.  
Yup. Analog VC will work. Digital ones probably wouldn't.

(15-Feb-2023, 09:19 AM)cpcat Wrote: Are you talking about the kernel in the "native DSD kernel " thread?  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/attac...hp?aid=342

I tried already to download, drag and drop in the load window in SO but it wouldn't work.  I assumed it was because it was old/old thread.
Hmm.. What is the error saying?

(15-Feb-2023, 09:19 AM)cpcat Wrote: I am on 1.2.10, using Intel Atom 3900, ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.
My DAC is Lampizator Big 7 MKII, (JL Sounds which is on your list here I believe )-it works with native DSD/DSF using SO/ MPD, also works with Daphile/LMS for native DSD/DSF with Daphile version of squeezelite.
Pretty sure this DAC will have native DSD built into the kernel from the get go.. With Snakeoil Squeezelite, can you double check if the volume in LMS is set to max? You might actually need to run Squeezelite RT to get native DSD. Can you double check that?

Hi AK, thanks for the reply.

When I download the vmlinuz file -amd64 version, the one I linked above, then drag and drop the the system file page window nothing happens.  It acts like it needs another file extension..   I have downloaded firmware, and also even used it to drag /drop the latest version of squeezelite 1.9.8 I think it is.  It does work (the drag/drop window) but just not with that particular vmlinuz DSD file.  I also tried adding under player "options" in SO machine "-D [:ub32e]"' according to the squeezelite command line -? instructions but does not work either.  I tried it with R2, 1.8, and Ralph, none would work.  It would save the setting and go green, but the data says STD 32_LE not DSD 32_BE.  (I'm not sure if those designations are exactly correct, I am reporting from memory, but you know what I mean ). 

I was briefly successful in even getting squeezelite 1.9.8 to play music through the SO machine by playing with the command line and trying to enable "squeezelite -o hw: <etc>” but it kept returning "connection busy" or something to that effect.

My volume is always set to "fixed level at 100" and I double check the settings under "advanced media server settings" and "player" and "audio" pretty much constantly because i am that ocd with this stuff.  Additionally, in Daphile/LMS when the digital VC in squeezelite is disabled , the VC no longer shows on the player page so that is also a second reminder.  

Thanks again.

(18-Feb-2023, 11:02 AM)cpcat Wrote: but the data says STD 32_LE not DSD 32_BE.  (I'm not sure if those designations are exactly correct, I am reporting from memory, but you know what I mean ). 
Yes I believe that is correct. When you're sending native DSD format, ALSA will reported as such... Not entirely sure what is wrong as I don't have a native DSD DAC to check this, can you generate a diagnostic file over to me so I can check your settings and such?

Yes - but it will be a week or so. I have it out of the system right now.  Thanks for your help.