Next Generation Snakeoil Release Candidate 2: 0.9.1
INTRODUCTION
Time is really passing fast! Another week, and one step closer to the official release.

This ISO have some additional fixes (see 1-3), and include the latest firmware (see 4-7).
The biggest fix in RC-2 is JRiver 22 support. This is finally working again in SnakeoilOS [Image: admire2.gif] - happy to finally close off this bug. Hopefully all the big issues are ironed out by now, but just in case let's wait and see (I'm looking at NAA).

If you guys like SnakeoilOS, please recommend Snakeoil to all your friends - give them your activation code (or get them to ask me for one). If you don't already have your own activation code PM me now. You can also post your positive (or negative) review in the Testimonials section. The more people talking about Snakeoil, the better it's going to be.

A reminder once 1.0.0 is officially released, activation codes can only be given after a donation. So if you don't already have a code, please PM or email or contact me now.

Already on 0.8.x and 0.9.x?
You don't need to download and install this ISO. Just update the firmware to get all the fixes in (4-7). If you want JRiver (2 & 3), please follow this post.

WHATS NEW SINCE 0.9.0
  1. ISO: Added support for AR8152 network
  2. ISO: Updated VNC server so it'd play nice for folks who wanted to use JRiver
  3. ISO: Added xdg-utils for JRiver folks
  4. FIRMWARE: Fix Blur theme crash when loading snakeoil menu using latest Chrome
  5. FIRMWARE: MPD extra options now working
  6. FIRMWARE: deb cannot install on activated SnakeoilOS machines
  7. FIRMWARE: Cannot mount NTFS volumes

USEFUL LINKS
Read these first if you are unfamiliar with SnakeoilOS and its inner workings:
DOWNLOAD Please report any bugs and issues you have.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • m@jor

Just a reminder that Snakeoil OS 1.0.0 will be released in 3 to 4 days time. If you do not have an activation code, ask me for one now. If you know anybody using Snakeoil OS and without a code, get them to ask me for one.

I'm still getting a few donations lately, thank you very much :thanks:.

The only outstanding problem is shashi's issue, which hopefully will be addressed in time, or via a quick 1.0.1 firmware update if we can find out what the issue is.

Once 1.0.0 is out, I'd start working on new features for 1.1.0 (no codename yet). Not sure what they are yet, but will work on a list this weekend. First thing I'm gonna do after the release of 1.0.0 is to move the project to gitlab. It will automate a lot of stuffs, check for problems, etc. For example. this is a picture of it testing the code and found a problem (Red X means problem).

[Image: gitlab.png]

The end result will be a better quality Snakeoil OS. :kiss:

Hi agent_kith!
I want to ask, do not plan to run the computer to boot through the network. To disable USB in the BIOS and the hard drive. I think that the sound will be fine.

(29-Jul-2017, 05:58 AM)polarlight Wrote: Hi agent_kith!
I want to ask, do not plan to run the computer to boot through the network. To disable USB in the BIOS and the hard drive. I think that the sound will be fine.
Snakeoil OS in most cases will require a network connection (for remote access). By booting through the network do you mean DHCP vs static? If yes assigning a static address is ideal.

And yes, if you have a dediciated USB card (e.g. SoTM) then you should disable the onboard USB in the BIOS. Same with the SATA ports, disable anything that you are not in use.
Also make sure HPET is enabled, and HyperThreading is disabled.

hi agent_kith. i am retiring my old server and replacing it with an sotm sms-200 ultra. very nice hardware but i do not like the software. the os goes on a micro sd card. would snake-oil be possible?

(29-Jul-2017, 06:48 PM)rocl444 Wrote: hi agent_kith. i am retiring my old server and replacing it with an sotm sms-200 ultra. very nice hardware but i do not like the software. the os goes on a micro sd card. would snake-oil be possible?
If you can boot from the micro-sd then technically yes. However, the gotcha is the kernel may not have the necessary smart card drivers to support. The first thing to do is try and boot from the USB and see if it can see a inserted micro-sd card. If it can then need to come up with a kernel for this.

Do you know the model of the micro-sd card reader?

i opened it up to have a look but there is no writing on it. i took a photo just in case you think that might help. i will d/l the new iso and try the live instal from usb. i don't think i can get into bios to boot from usb.
btw - i am having to do a re-instal of the sotm software and the file is 7.9gb. it must be designed to fill the 8gb micro card. i will need to buy another sd card to try this i think. i should have tried it before i began the rewrite. not enough time.

(31-Jul-2017, 03:00 PM)rocl444 Wrote: i opened it up to have a look but there is no writing on it. i took a photo just in case you think that might help. i will d/l the new iso and try the live instal from usb. i don't think i can get into bios to boot from usb.
btw - i am having to do a re-instal of the sotm software and the file is 7.9gb. it must be designed to fill the 8gb micro card.
Looking at the page SOTM uses the ARM processor.

This is a bit of a mixed bag as SnakeoilOS don't support ARM just yet. I'm going to support RaspPi eventually though, that may or may not work with the SoTM. Easiest thing to do is to download a Raspberry Pi boot image, write that to a microsd and see if it can boot from that.