Noob question: How do I install SnakeoilOS on RPI?
Hi there. First post here.

Was it on this forum that someone described themselves as having Google Linux? That's me, but I've Googled and read this forum extensively for (ideally) a step-by-step on how to install SnakeoilOS on an RPi, but I'm stuck.

I've installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite (32-bit) on an RPi 3B. I can SSH into it, but what do I do next? I'm using a Mac if that helps.

TIA

Welcome, Ugly! (Interesting name 🙂).

There is a Wiki. If you get stuck, please post...
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell

(10-Dec-2022, 05:12 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Welcome, Ugly! (Interesting name 🙂).

There is a Wiki. If you get stuck, please post...
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Install...ller-shell

Thanks for your welcome, Snoopy8.

My name: I have a penchant for free jazz. Many years ago, a friend said to me: "You ain't gonna play any more of that ugly music, are you". And my forum name was born.

Yup. I've seen the wiki. I get stuck at:
Quote:Download the Snakeoil InstallerGo to the Snakeoil Forums and look for the latest Snakeoil installer. You can download the installer from a machine and copy it to your freshly installed computer with tools like scp. Or download the installer directly using tools like wget.
Upload Installer To Your Snakeoil PCThis requires a SSH server running on your Snakeoil PC.
Use a tool like WinSCP for the file transfer. Follow their guide on how to upload files.

I can download the latest Snakeoil installer to the Mac, but then I hit a brick wall of my Linux knowledge/experience. Sure, I can go and learn more about Linux, but I really want to play with Snakeoil before 2023  Smile .

(10-Dec-2022, 05:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote: Sure, I can go and learn more about Linux, but I really want to play with Snakeoil before 2023  Smile .
Unfortunately, WINScp is Windows only (and I use it!)

There is no avoiding getting into Linux commands, despite the best efforts of Agent Kith. You will have to develop some Goolge-Linux skills (Google and follow Linux commands!). I think this is what you should be doing (but I am not a Mac person, so doubly hard for me to help).

https://scriptingosx.com/2017/07/transfe...s-with-ssh

(10-Dec-2022, 06:03 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(10-Dec-2022, 05:42 AM)uglymusic Wrote: Sure, I can go and learn more about Linux, but I really want to play with Snakeoil before 2023  Smile .
Unfortunately, WINScp is Windows only (and I use it!)

There is no avoiding getting into Linux commands, despite the best efforts of Agent Kith. You will have to develop some Goolge-Linux skills (Google and follow Linux commands!). I think this is what you should be doing (but I am not a Mac person, so doubly hard for me to help).

https://scriptingosx.com/2017/07/transfe...-with-ssh/

I have some pretty finely-honed Google Linux skills, but the SnakeoilOS installation instructions defeated me!

That link looks interesting. Thank you. I'll read it tomorrow when my brain isn't so tired  [Image: dead.gif] .

(10-Dec-2022, 06:34 AM)uglymusic Wrote: I have some pretty finely-honed Google Linux skills, but the SnakeoilOS installation instructions defeated me!

That link looks interesting. Thank you. I'll read it tomorrow when my brain isn't so tired  [Image: dead.gif] .
Or maybe one of these tools?
 https://alternativeto.net/software/winscp/?platform=mac

(10-Dec-2022, 10:05 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(10-Dec-2022, 06:34 AM)uglymusic Wrote: I have some pretty finely-honed Google Linux skills, but the SnakeoilOS installation instructions defeated me!

Thank you, @Snoopy8. I've possibly arrived there from another angle.

Thinking I have to transfer a file, I'd decided to have a poke around the three FTP clients I have on the Mac for my business. First stop, Filezilla (which is multi-platform, but that's probably not relevant). Looking at available protocols, I find SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol. Wow! I'd always understood SFTP as Secure FTP.

Anyhow, it seems a good chance that Filezilla will enable me to do what WinScp does for you. Fingers crossed. I'll report back.

(10-Dec-2022, 07:29 PM)uglymusic Wrote:
(10-Dec-2022, 10:05 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:

Thank you, @Snoopy8. I've possibly arrived there from another angle.

Thinking I have to transfer a file, I'd decided to have a poke around the three FTP clients I have on the Mac for my business. First stop, Filezilla (which is multi-platform, but that's probably not relevant). Looking at available protocols, I find SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol. Wow! I'd always understood SFTP as Secure FTP.

Anyhow, it seems a good chance that Filezilla will enable me to do what WinScp does for you. Fingers crossed. I'll report back.

A quick update: Filezilla did the job. I have an apparently working SnakeoilOS installation running.

However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

Next step, read up about which version of Ubuntu I should be installing, and try again!

Thanks for your help, @Snoopy8 .
[-] The following 1 user Likes uglymusic's post:
  • Snoopy8

(10-Dec-2022, 11:23 PM)uglymusic Wrote: However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

Next step, read up about which version of Ubuntu I should be installing, and try again!

You should be using Raspbian for Pi... What error messages are you getting?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(11-Dec-2022, 02:08 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(10-Dec-2022, 11:23 PM)uglymusic Wrote: However, I had a few error messages along the way that appear to be caused by me missing that I should be using Ubuntu on the RPi, not Raspberry Pi OS. I thought I saw someone here recommending RPiOS rather than the RPi Ubuntu. Anyhow, it looks like my bad. 

You should be using Raspbian for Pi... What error messages are you getting?

Thanks, @agent_kith. I didn't make a note of the error messages, unfortunately. They referred to Ubuntu (or some part of Ubuntu) not being present. Hence I went back to the installation instructions, which say I should be using Ubuntu Server LTS. 

I flashed Ubuntu Server LTS from the Raspberry Pi installer. The RPi booted successfully, and I upgraded and updated Ubuntu using SSH. I then verified and installed SnakeoilOS without receiving error messages. But the installation failed to reboot successfully. 

So should I go back to using Raspian? I was planning a second Ubuntu-based install as I didn't get the error messages. 

I'm happier with Raspian, in a way, because it's a simpler version of Linux. It's just those Ubuntu-related error messages.

Edit: You quite clearly say that I should be using Raspian (Raspberry Pi OS). It'll probably be next weekend before I have any time to do a new install. I'll report back as soon as I do have the time.