[SOLVED] Ongoing status updates with new UI for Gear Isolation
Thumbs Up 
(23-Oct-2021, 06:50 AM)agent_kith Wrote: In the meantime, I have built the demo code and it's now live at https://demo.snakeoil-os.net. Go check it out, and let me know what you think. Might not look like much but there's a lot of changes/improvements under the hood, >300 hours are spent on this GUI and updating it to the latest Angular 12.

Very nice work  Wink .  I looked at it briefly using the Edge browser.  I like the new menus and the way everything is organized.  

I know this is low hanging fruit so-to-speak, but the one thing I did notice is the cell padding on the dashboard when the browser window is not maximized:

[Image: dashboard-Cellpadding.jpg]

Turns out I have zero carpentry skills... Rolleyes Not with the tools that I have yesterday, or vehicle for that matter. Spent nearly a day trying to fix the fence, but the whole fence is just rotten beyond fixing. Hopefully I can get somebody to fix this. Didn't look in the timber section of my local hardware store really, but I hope they have enough fencing materials for some handyman to get this done.

(23-Oct-2021, 12:42 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Looks good and appreciate the effort to update the GUI and especially the underlying technology. It was a costly (in time) effort, but I suspect, a necessary step that has to be paid to ensure that SnakeOil stays up to date.
Yeah. Angular 4 to 12 is a relatively big jump. There are underlying improvements in the OS though, because you no longer need to run a PHP handler in the web server. The WebApp is now pure C++ on the Snakeoil PC, and pure Angular on your control PC.

(23-Oct-2021, 12:42 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Ran successfully on Firefox on Win laptop and landscape mode on Chrome on Samsung Android phone. In portrait mode on phone, it does not display "icons" and therefore cannot access rest of system.
Woops Big Grin. I suspect I know what the underlying cause is. Will look into that today/

(23-Oct-2021, 08:01 PM)musicnut23 Wrote: Very nice work  Wink .  I looked at it briefly using the Edge browser.  I like the new menus and the way everything is organized.  

I know this is low hanging fruit so-to-speak, but the one thing I did notice is the cell padding on the dashboard when the browser window is not maximized:

[Image: dashboard-Cellpadding.jpg]
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's in one of my things to fix. Note that 'flip' button in the top right corner of that card. Click on that to 'flip' the view. That control is not super obvious, it's something I hope to address in the Wizard.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Alright. Have fixed the mobile issues and cell padding issues in the demo site.

Have also finished the activation details (click the flip button). This will show your activation details if activated so you can pass this code off to a friend (in case you loose the activation email).

(24-Oct-2021, 07:29 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Alright. Have fixed the mobile issues and cell padding issues in the demo site.
On Android phone, portrait mode, many of buttons not showing text. E.g. save cancel, in many tabs, System tab buttons.

(25-Oct-2021, 05:20 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(24-Oct-2021, 07:29 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Alright. Have fixed the mobile issues and cell padding issues in the demo site.
On Android phone, portrait mode, many of buttons not showing text. E.g. save cancel, in many tabs, System tab buttons.
Interesting. What's the model of your Samsung phone? Do you happen to know the screen resolution? I do notice "cards" like partitions info and whatnot do not scale down to phones, I will probably have to create new presentations for those..

My goal is to make the WebApp work for all screens, but with somewhat scaled down operations (display only, not function) when in mobile screens.

(25-Oct-2021, 06:53 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(25-Oct-2021, 05:20 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
Interesting. What's the model of your Samsung phone? Do you happen to know the screen resolution? I do notice "cards" like partitions info and whatnot do not scale down to phones, I will probably have to create new presentations for those..

My goal is to make the WebApp work for all screens, but with somewhat scaled down operations (display only, not function) when in mobile screens.
Samsung Note 10, 1080x2280

(23-Oct-2021, 06:50 AM)agent_kith Wrote: In the meantime, I have built the demo code and it's now live at https://demo.snakeoil-os.net. Go check it out, and let me know what you think.

Hello,
I just have checked out the demo, and I don't want to sound ungrateful for all the hard work that you've put into the new GUI, but I find your old one much better visually.
I think that the new Dashboard icons (wizard, networking, disk, player, etc) are redundant and not sitting well with the rest of the design, since they are not sharing the same visual style. They are too big and too colorful.
Also, the old design has much better responsive design, that responds to changes in browser width by adjusting the placement of design elements to fit in the available space.
I'm affraid that he new GUI will not fit as good in vertical mode in web browsers on some mobile phones, and that some parts of the interface will be cut off.
I really appreciate the progress you are making on the functional side of the GUI, but the visual side of things is not as polished and proffessional looking as your old design.
Some of the audiophile crowd are spoiled, and they will not appreciate the great and unique tweaking features Snakoil has as much as they will appreciate the ease of handling, the sleek user interface and polished user experience.
I'm recommending Snakeoil to all of my friends, but the majority of them are not able to install it by themselves. They are lost with the latest version especially - WinSCP and SSH are too much for them.
Please take my criticism as my desire for Snakeoil OS to take its rightful place along with the rest of the competing software like Volumio and others.

(25-Oct-2021, 08:47 AM)koko6969koki Wrote: I just have checked out the demo, and I don't want to sound ungrateful for all the hard work that you've put into the new GUI, but I find your old one much better visually.
I think that the new Dashboard icons (wizard, networking, disk, player, etc) are redundant and not sitting well with the rest of the design, since they are not sharing the same visual style. They are too big and too colorful.
Also, the old design has much better responsive design, that responds to changes in browser width by adjusting the placement of design elements to fit in the available space.
I'm affraid that he new GUI will not fit as good in vertical mode in web browsers on some mobile phones, and that some parts of the interface will be cut off.
I really appreciate the progress you are making on the functional side of the GUI, but the visual side of things is not as polished and proffessional looking as your old design.
Thank you for the feedback. I see the GUI as a necessary technology upgrade and thus the most important part to get working properly. I do prefer a simpler style, with more muted colours but am no style expert. I can live with the new interface as long as the functionality works. But I do get your point that some people may not like the new GUI.
(25-Oct-2021, 08:47 AM)koko6969koki Wrote: Some of the audiophile crowd are spoiled, and they will not appreciate the great and unique tweaking features Snakoil has as much as they will appreciate the ease of handling, the sleek user interface and polished user experience.
I'm recommending Snakeoil to all of my friends, but the majority of them are not able to install it by themselves. They are lost with the latest version especially - WinSCP and SSH are too much for them.
Please take my criticism as my desire for Snakeoil OS to take its rightful place along with the rest of the competing software like Volumio and others.
I do agree that it requires some knowledge to install SnakeOil and many people will not be able to install it by themselves. Personally, I think WinSCP and SSH are easy enough to use, but it be worthwhile for Agent Kith to explore whether the install process can be simplified further.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • koko6969koki

(24-Oct-2021, 10:07 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Click on that to 'flip' the view. That control is not super obvious, it's something I hope to address in the Wizard.

I clicked on that inadvertently while looking things over.  Really cool work you're doing.

(25-Oct-2021, 05:58 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: I do prefer a simpler style, with more muted colours but am no style expert. I can live with the new interface as long as the functionality works. But I do get your point that some people may not like the new GUI.

It would be great if it is possible to keep the old GUI layout (and design!) with the dashboard that has a fixed vertical zone on the left side with all of the icons that are available all the time.
It is much easier and more efficient to switch wizard, network, player, etc, pages with one click of the mouse, than being forced to click the "back to dashboard" button every time you wish to change the page.
And the old icons are so much better! The new ones feel dated and they simply do not belong to the rest of the design.

For me there is no competition between the old and the new GUI, the old is so much better with more logical layout, with the icons on the left side:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-4-31-44-PM.jpg]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-4-31-51-PM.jpg]

(25-Oct-2021, 05:58 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: I do prefer a simpler style, with more muted colours but am no style expert.

Maybe my problem is that I'm a photographer and a graphic designer, so I'm more sensitive to the visual aspect. Smile

I find the visual aspect of the old design to be very good, so I see no point in changing it for the worse.
In the new design I also don't like the color scheme and the combination of sharper square text fields and more rounded buttons.
In the old design, both text fields and buttons shared the same corner curvature.

This is what I'm talking about:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-4-23-27-PM.jpg]

...I think that the old design is vastly better:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-4-23-53-PM.jpg]