Perth Get Together [Accuphase, Gryphon, Auralic, Nordost]
One perk as the creator of Snakeoil OS is the chance to experience some topshelf hifi gear in the comforts of a home environment. Today in Perth we had a get together (GTG) doing exactly that. In attendence: Jones99, Doncentric, JD1, TP1 and myself.

Accuphase System:
[Image: System_1.jpg]

System closeup:

[Image: System_2.jpg]

Of note is the gear at the middle of the bottom shelf, an Accuphase power re-generator! Apologies for the grainy pic.
[Image: Accuphase_1.jpg]

The re-generator powers everything except for the A200s I think, just those alone already exceeds the total power consumption of my Marantz system by 10 W.
[Image: bled1.gif]
[Image: Accuphase_2.jpg]

The big Accuphase class A monoblock amps, with the Accuphase 3850 control amplifier
[Image: Accuphase_3.jpg]

Hmmm, only 654.4 W. Can we top that?
[Image: Accuphase_4.jpg]

Yes we can! Here it is at 720 W. [Image: not_listening.gif]
[Image: Accuphase_5.jpg]

And a Accuphase product I didn't even know existed before meeting the Perth audiophiles, an Accuphase cart.

[Image: Accuphase_6.jpg]

If you zoom into the picture there is something that sticks out on the needle, is that grime/dirt, or are needles supposed to look like that? [Image: huh.png]
[Image: Accuphase_7.jpg]
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Head to head against the Accuphase DC-37, is the venerable Gryphon Kalliope. It's a beautiful machine indeed.
[Image: wow2.gif]

[Image: Gryphon_1.jpg]

Can just make out the Accuphase DC-37 in the background.
[Image: Gryphon_2.jpg]

A feature I always like, but often missing on equipment is a binding post for grounding. I'm not exactly sure how this will work as there is a ground pin on the IEC and there is no logo stating the Kalliope is double insulated. So wouldn't that create a ground loop, and possibly induce hum?
[Image: nonono.gif]
[Image: Gryphon_3.jpg]

Playing redbook material.
[Image: Gryphon_4.jpg]

Close up of the LCD (or OLED?) panel.
[Image: Gryphon_5.jpg]

Playing back DSD, side by side with the Antipodes DX, with a Snakeoil computer (silver) and Accuphae DC-37 in the background:
[Image: Gryphon_9.jpg]

Shot of the DP-700, and the mightly 3850 control amplifier. Now the only thing missing is an Accuphase phono amplifier. [Image: lol.png]
[Image: Gryphon_7.jpg]

The Antipodes DX. It's not a GTG if we don't open it up!
[Image: cheer2.gif]
[Image: Antipodes_DX_1.jpg]

And open it up we did. [Image: embarrassed2.gif]
[Image: Antipodes_DX_2.jpg]

And here is the first mod, we are now powering the m/b with a modified Uptone JS-2. 
[Image: Antipodes_DX_3.jpg]

I can't remember what this is, regulator of the Antipodes PSU?
[Image: Antipodes_DX_4.jpg]

And here's another shot of another modified JS-2, the JZolla (did I hear this in action?)
[Image: JZolla.jpg]

Not to be outdone, a Auralic Aries joins the mix:

[Image: Aries_1.jpg]

Can't really get a good pic of the Aries as it's placed haphazardly on the floor, and my camera is too big to get a good shot.
[Image: Aries_2.jpg]

A computer running Snakeoil OS, mass loaded with some Stillpoints.
[Image: Snakeoil_2.jpg]

In hifi, if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.
[Image: Big_Cap_1.jpg]

About the only Aussie reference I can get is Crocodile Dundee, tha's not a cap, this is a cap!
[Image: shock2.gif]
[Image: Big_Cap_2.jpg]

And some interconnects and cables to test on the day. I've only seen knockoffs in Hong Kong, never the real McCoy. A part of me really wanted to do this with the cables,
  [Image: whip.gif]
Sanity prevails! I like the slogan - making the connection. [Image: thumbs.png]
[Image: Nordost_1.jpg]

[Image: Nordost_2.jpg]

[Image: Nordost_4.jpg]

[Image: Nordost_7.jpg]

[Image: Nordost_6.jpg]

Did I say the kid inside me wanna do this?
[Image: whip.gif]

[Image: Nordost_5.jpg]

Big thanks goes out to Jones99 for bringing in the gear, and also to TP1, great host as always.

Here are just some comments from myself, it was just a quick listen so may not be accurate:

Snakeoil machine has more bass definition, giving music that important backbone and body. The only thing I'm missing is the harmonics, the vocals and instruments seem to lack a natural reverb, making them sound dry and closed in. Imaging is good and precise, just seems to lack something.

Antipodes sounds very natural, music just makes sense as everything just sound right. However it lacks the speed/power/control of the Snakeoil machine in the lower frequencies.

We just tried too many things and introduce too many variables for anything definitive. But where is the fun if we stay totally methodical?

For me personally there just is something about the NF9C that draws me into the music. And thank you TP1 for donating two NF9C variants for the Snakeoil project. Having said that, my preference for the NF9C could be the alcohol [Image: lol.png]. Now if only I can install Snakeoil on the Antipodes.
[Image: steal.gif]

Thanks Agent Kith, great photos.

I'd enjoy coming along to the next GTG if possible.

I'd like to introduce another variable. My Snakeoil server (as a renderer only) fed via Roon and HQ Player on my i7 Mac mini upconverting everything to DSD 128 or 256.

To me this latest combo is the best yet, although I don't have the Jzilla mods to my JS-2 PSU. I'd love to compare.

(22-Jun-2016, 06:20 AM)a.dent Wrote: Thanks Agent Kith, great photos.

I'd enjoy coming along to the next GTG if possible.
GTGs like this really help in the speeding up the pace of CA, so hopefully we will have another one soon, and many more after [Image: smile.png].

(22-Jun-2016, 06:20 AM)a.dent Wrote: I'd like to introduce another variable. My Snakeoil server (as a renderer only) fed via Roon and HQ Player on my i7 Mac mini upconverting everything to DSD 128 or 256.

To me this latest combo is the best yet, although I don't have the Jzilla mods to my JS-2 PSU. I'd love to compare.
The stock JS-2 PSU on it's own is already pretty formidable, it'd be good to compare a stock unit to the various modified units out there. Hopefully we can do another soon, as I would love to see Roon in action [Image: heart.png].

The game is on another level mate!
Recent acquired Accuphase DP-950 and DC-950, will certain to bring the SQ to another unprecedented level, yet again!
http://wizard-highend.blogspot.com.au/20...c-950.html

Attached Files Image(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Chanh's post:
  • agent_kith

Hi Chanh,
When you say recently acquired do you mean you have bought them yourself?