Playing a CD
I have a DVD/CD drive in the laptop I use for my music server.  I tried to play a CD through the USB, but could get no sound.

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 cdda://

CD plays but no sound.  Is this because the USB device is being used by mpd?  Can I use mpd or LMS to play CDs through the DAC. 
This is not something I would do very often, but was wondering what I was missing?

Thanks

(06-Aug-2018, 12:27 AM)D629497 Wrote: I have a DVD/CD drive in the laptop I use for my music server.  I tried to play a CD through the USB, but could get no sound.

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 cdda://

CD plays but no sound.  Is this because the USB device is being used by mpd?  Can I use mpd or LMS to play CDs through the DAC. 
This is not something I would do very often, but was wondering what I was missing?

Thanks

Think It should work with MPD since it's not holding an exclusive lock on the media player. However, I wonder if this is because the user you're logged in to don't have access rights to the CD drive.

Try something like the following:
Code:
sudo mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 cdda://

Did that work? Also, I'd check the command line syntax later, but you're sure it's 'hw=1.0', and not  'hw=1,0'?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Just remembered MPD in Snakeoil OS has CDDA playback support built in. Maybe that's why it's not working via mplayer. Can you try and add some tracks in MPD and see if that works?

I'd have to figure out how to do this from my end as I don't have a CD drive in my setup. Until then, can you try and start the web client (myMPD), and add a source like so:

Code:
cdda:///1

And then go to the queue, and try to play it. What happens?

Following this discussion...

I have a usb cd drive.....lists as  /dev/sr0   where do I need to add this to make it visible to Snakeoil/MyMPD player ?

(07-Aug-2018, 09:38 AM)Bromf Wrote: Following this discussion...

I have a usb cd drive.....lists as  /dev/sr0   where do I need to add this to make it visible to Snakeoil/MyMPD player ?
Go to add source, and just enter:

Code:
cdda://

Let me know if it errors out, and if not. Go to the playlist, and let me know what's in there..

This should work in theory, havn't said that, I havn't tested this myself.

Edit....Ok... Tried adding http://cdda:/// as a stream and it appears in the queue as 'cdda:' but nothing happens when it is selected.

(07-Aug-2018, 11:02 AM)Bromf Wrote: Edit....Ok... Tried adding http://cdda:/// as a stream and it appears in the queue as 'cdda:' but nothing happens when it is selected.
Think I may have disabled cd_paranoia (or whatever it's called) in the MPD plugins... I'd try and figure out a way to test this at home.

Also, LMShas a CD player plugin.

Time for me to expand the manual on how to do this.. Hope to get back to you guys soon on how to do this.

Hmmm ,... has the site had a hiccough...?   for a while it was 'not found' then my post disappeared... Big Grin

So to recap....tried the lms plugin and got ...'Cannot access the cdrom drive - check name and whether another app is using the drive(-1)'

Tried renaming.../dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0....no joy..

did a sudo apt update and sudo apt install cdda2wav  which installed icedax......  still no joy..... Sad

However... the cd plugin I have never got to work on any LMS...(Daphile..PiCore...etc) so maybe it is broken... Sad

Looking forward to cd player via MyMPD .... Cool

New DAC and usb interface installed tonight and can report that DiyinHK ...
https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/..._meter_pcb
and
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ES9028Q2M-ES902...2317494575
working in I/V mode

work very well with Snakeoil... Big Grin Cool

(06-Aug-2018, 08:36 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Think It should work with MPD since it's not holding an exclusive lock on the media player. However, I wonder if this is because the user you're logged in to don't have access rights to the CD drive.

Try something like the following:
Code:
sudo mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 cdda://

Did that work? Also, I'd check the command line syntax later, but you're sure it's 'hw=1.0', and not  'hw=1,0'?  

Thanks. I tried using sudo but I still get a failed to initiale device error. The syntax is correct though. I tried stopping the server and client but it made no difference.

Sorry for the late responses guys.. I'd try and find some time soon to look into this.. Will get back to you guys once I figured out how this is done.