RAM disk vs large Squeezelite buffer?
(24-Apr-2020, 10:32 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(24-Apr-2020, 09:17 AM)koko6969koki Wrote: How can I make edits to mpd.conf permanent?
For now, you have to modify the mpd.conf.template file under /var/www/players/<MPD_Version>. Then save and restart the players will work.

Thanks! Smile

I have tried it but I did run into problems.

I have added the required lines at the end of mpd.conf.template and saved the file.
It looked like this:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-04-24-at-2-32-31-PM.jpg]

Alas, after the MPD restart, the control apps couldn't connect to it.
Here are the messages that myMPD and MPDroid returned:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-04-24-at-2-22-53-PM.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20200424-142052-copy.jpg]

After I removed the input cache lines from the configuration file everything was working as normal.

I have repeated the procedure couple of times more (I have tried different buffer sizes, I have tried to type everything by hand instead of copy&paste from the MPD web page, etc),
but with no luck.

At some point MPD refused to start regardless of the input cache lines being present or not, like the mpd.conf.template file somehow got corrupted.

The only solution was to completely erase its content and to manually enter the required lines.
I have copied them from the mpd.conf.template file for MPD v20, and changed the specific parameters to v21.

This is how the new mpd.conf.template looks now:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-04-24-at-4-52-36-PM.jpg]

Since I don't give up so easily Smile , I have tried to add the input cache setting lines again,
hoping that with the new file things will miraculously start working,
but the MPD still would not connect, so I had to finally give up and erase them.

Was I doing something wrong?
...Or is there some bug or incompatibility with the MPD version I have?
I have noticed that this setting is from the help for the version 0.21.22, and in my Snakeoil installation I have the version 0.21.16.

One more thing - since I'm not sure that my new and improvised v21 mpd.conf.template is 100% OK, can you send me the original one? Smile

(25-Apr-2020, 08:25 AM)koko6969koki Wrote: Was I doing something wrong?
...Or is there some bug or incompatibility with the MPD version I have?
I have noticed that this setting is from the help for the version 0.21.22, and in my Snakeoil installation I have the version 0.21.16.

One more thing - since I'm not sure that my new and improvised v21 mpd.conf.template is 100% OK, can you send me the original one? Smile
Looks like you're modifying MPD-v21, so in 1.1.9 firmware that's 0.21.22, and I have tried it and it worked for me. Do you have RAM disk setup? If yes, how much RAM do you have in your system? MPD might have trouble reserving 3GB of RAM if you are also using RAM disk.

Try reducing the number, and restart MPD and see how it goes.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Thanks! 
I have played wit different MPD cache values, 256MB, 1GB, etc.
In my NUC I have 8GB of RAM, and I have disabled the RAM disk since I will not need it, if I get MPD to cache songs in RAM on its own.
I also have returned the LMS cache settings (that I was previously playing with) to the default values, so I think that I had enough free RAM.
If I decide to try 1.1.9 firmware, will all my settings, newly installed plugins and saved Internet radio favourites in LMS be preserved? 
I would hate to loose them, especially the favouriites.
If I find the 1.1.9 too buggy (I have read the reports in the 1.1.9 topic that prevented me from upgrading) and decide to go back,
will the LMS favourites still be preserved?

Is there a way that I just upgrade MPD v21 to the latest version and stay with Snakeoil 1.1.8 firmware untill the next major version?

I don't just tweak my Snakeoil box Smile I also listen to music with it, Smile and I must say that I'm enjoying it more each day. 
You are on the way of finding the right balance between sound quality, easy user interface for novices, and tweakability for more demanding users.
This separates your OS from the other audiophile oriented linux dstributions that I've tried so far. I like it best! Smile

Update:
I have tried it again, double checked everything to be sure that no other extra options are using RAM, and I got the same error.
I also tried MPD v20 and the same error appeared.
So maybe this setting works only in the latest MPD versions?
I might try the 1.1.9 firmware, but only in case that I can keep the LMS favourites.

Update No2:
I order to see what is wrong, I have tried to enable logging by adding these lines:

log_file      "/var/tmp/mpd.log"
log_level            "verbose"

But no log file was written.

I even tried to change the setting so that the log file is written to more accessible location: 
log_file      "/media/music/mpd.log"

Again nothing happened. Sad

I guess that I'll have to use the RAM disk for the time being, Smile until you add the web interface option for setting the MPD input cache setting in some future firmware version. Wink 
I'm joking of course, we can't expect you to make all our wishes come true (we can only hope! Smile ).

(26-Apr-2020, 07:30 PM)koko6969koki Wrote: But no log file was written.

I even tried to change the setting so that the log file is written to more accessible location: 
log_file      "/media/music/mpd.log"

Again nothing happened. Sad
When you look at the "Media Players" section, at the very top, do you see a red exclaimation mark under "Servers"? If yes, click on that and did any error show up?

I have tried the input cache setting again, the error is still there:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-04-28-at-2-00-56-AM.jpg]

.... but there is no red exclamation mark anywhere:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-04-28-at-2-00-43-AM.jpg]

...with input cache removed from the .conf.template file, everything is back to normal again:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-04-28-at-2-01-54-AM.jpg]

Is there a way that I can install the latest MPD version in Snakeoil firmware 1.1.8 by myself?  Think

(28-Apr-2020, 08:17 AM)koko6969koki Wrote: Is there a way that I can install the latest MPD version in Snakeoil firmware 1.1.8 by myself?  Think
Not yet, but it's planned. in the future (Gear Isolation onwards) each version of MPD will have it's own install module. While the official snakeoil firmware always includes the latest version, You can still install previous/earlier MPD versions as module so you can "fall back" to your favourite MPD version.

This is one of the reason why the Wiki is created, and the downloads section also.