[SOLVED] MPD issues with 0.1.5
Different types of MPD issues cropping up with 0.1.5 ISO. This thread consolidates them all in one single spot. So here's the situation so far: 
  • All versions of MPD work in my test lab, but I have no confirmation MPD work with any of you when you're using amd64 build.
  • 1 case of all MPD broken
  • 2 cases of MPD-v20 and MPD-git broken
  • 1 case of MPD-git working and MPD-v20 unconfirmed (Confirmed fully working)
If MPD v20 or MPD-GIT works for you, let me know now. (2 cases of confirmed working so far).

For the others, for the moment just let me know if MPD is running and working. For those of you with problems. Follow this: 
  1. Stop all your MPD clients. Don't use the web client, ncmpc, or your mobile client. Right now I only want to determine if MPD is running and working.
  2. Select MPD v20 in the software menu, hit "SAVE".
  3. Look at the messages and see if Player is started. If there's a problem, cut and paste the text and post here.
  4. Then hit the "BACK" button to get back to the software tab.
  5. Confirm the player is started in the "Player Status" box. If there's a problem, post here and tell me it's broken at stage 4. SSH into your machine, and run "cat /var/tmp/stderr". Post the contents in this thread.
  6. Wait about 20 seconds, refresh the browser, look at the player status, is it still shown as running? If no, post here and tell me it's broken at stage 5. SSH into your machine, and run "cat /var/tmp/stderr". Post the contents in this thread.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I never use MPD but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Everything loads OK and MPD is running after following steps 1-4 above. So afr so good.
When I go into Client 175 there are 0 artists showing. Either I'm doing something wrong or MPD isn't seeing my music HDD. It does see my DAC though.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_02_08_at_10_35_16_am.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes a.dent's post:
  • agent_kith

(08-Feb-2017, 10:38 AM)a.dent Wrote: I never use MPD but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Everything loads OK and MPD is running after following steps 1-4 above. So afr so good.
When I go into Client 175 there are 0 artists showing. Either I'm doing something wrong or MPD isn't seeing my music HDD. It does see my DAC though.

[Image: cheer2.gif] Hopefully you are using 64 bit edition? That means MPD is working. [Image: good_job.gif] 

To get music to show up - click this "Update Database" button in the middle somewhere top right corner. 

[Image: update_db.png]

Initially (while MPD is scanning the files), only Artists, Albums  and Genres have entries. When the entire scan is complete, you'd see everything show up in the Folders.

You can start playing music during the file scanning (in artits/genres/albums), or play music after the scan has completed. Either way, music should play.

OK all versions of MPD work although it is a clunky interface with problems maintaining lock with the DAC.

Back to Roon for me!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes a.dent's post:
  • agent_kith

Progress ! All versions of mpd now start..... Client 175 still shows no music and database update fails with no output.

Difference from yesterday.... using different browser (Tazweb not Firefox) on different os (slitaz not ubuntu)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

(08-Feb-2017, 11:37 AM)a.dent Wrote: OK all versions of MPD work although it is a clunky interface with problems maintaining lock with the DAC.

Back to Roon for me!!!
Thank you good Sir   Thumbs Up. I honestly havn't use MPD in a while.. Hopefully have some time this weekend to play a tune from it and see how my old friend is doing.

(08-Feb-2017, 11:42 AM)Bromf Wrote: Progress ! All versions of mpd now start..... Client 175 still shows no music and database update fails with no output.

Difference from yesterday.... using different browser (Tazweb not Firefox) on different os (slitaz not ubuntu)
You're a linux user. That will make my life so much easier! Clap Clap

Do you still get the same error message? Or a different one?
Code:
"Unable to retrieve list of available tag types.

1. Can you look at the file /var/www/scratch/mpd.conf, look for the line that says metadata_to_use, and confirm it's written as such:
Code:
metadata_to_use "artist,album,title,track,name,genre,date,composer,performer,disc"
2. Next, cat the file "/var/tmp/stderr" file, look at the last line. Hopefully you see a music file that caused the problem.
3. With your ID3 tag editor, look through (but don't modify) all the tags listed above, do they look ok? Any special control characters in there?
4. Now move that music file away from /media/music directory.
5. Restart MPD and re-do the scan.
6. Does it continue to work? Or will it quit again with a different file?

I also don't use MPD but tried just as a bug test.

MPD git worked straight away. Database updated quickly without issue.
MPD v20; initially had troubles updating database; I think from clicking buttons before it had updated. Player would close.

Later, I restarted, opened client 175 checked player status in software tab and then just walked away without touching anything. 45 mins later, I returned, pressed the update database button and once updated clicked on some tracks. Presto; everything working fine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JD1's post:
  • agent_kith

(08-Feb-2017, 12:56 PM)JD1 Wrote: I also don't use MPD but tried just as a bug test.

MPD git worked straight away. Database updated quickly without issue.
MPD v20; initially had troubles updating database; I think from clicking buttons before it had updated. Player would close.

Later, I restarted, opened client 175 checked player status in software tab and then just walked away without touching anything. 45 mins later, I returned, pressed the update database button and once updated clicked on some tracks. Presto; everything working fine.

Thanks.
[Image: good_job.gif]

Quote:1. Can you look at the file /var/mpd/scratch/mpd.conf, look for the line that says metadata_to_use, and confirm it's written as such:

File does not exist... Tried as user, and then sudo su
 nano   /var/mpd/scratch/mpd.conf   
File is empty for both..... very interesting.