Help  Search  Portal
 Portal  Search
Hello There, Guest!  Register  Login

Random (and unimportant) Snakeoil OS Milestones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The total forum member count has reached a milestone: 314... That's approximate 100 Pi's (hmm Pies). Granted 2 accounts are mine (1 I'm using now, and the other for testing). Still means there are 312 people who tried out Snakeoil.

And that's 312 more than I expected. I'm humbled this group choose to try out Snakeoil. And an even bigger thanks to those that pick Snakeoil over the more established CA solutions out there.

[Image: cute2.gif]

Kind of feel bad to force people to sign up before they can download firmwares Undecided. It just don't feel right, unfortunately if I don't trolls will use some sorta of botnet and initiate thousands of downloads on those files and kill all my web hosting's data quota. Registration means I can stop it quickly, and easily.

The good thing I guess is I can artifically boost up the membership here. I've kind of grown too old and cynical, the audio forums out there are talking about things I don't care about. Every where I find MQA dominating the space. or me MQA isn't a mainstream yet, and it's taking up all the airtime (and left me with nothing to talk about).

I rather talk about the things we have, and not talk about things we havn't experienced.

My hope is to transform this forum into a place where people who are experts at music meet, not experts with gear and technology but completely ignorant about the point of music. Hope is one thing, reality is another. What ever transpires, let it be. Cool
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
The Snakeoil forum is glowly slowly. In roughly 7 months since the post, the forums has added 77 users.

[Image: boardstats-20181027.png]

The new milestone is the 80 visitors in Oct. That's a statistical impossibility so I have to assume the site is under some sort of probe/hack/DDOS or something. i.e. I would say very few of the 80 users are real people, maybe even 0.

They are 'bots'. Not sure this is a good acheivement to have, but hey, it's something!
Don't be too hasty in attributing a statistical impossibility..... Wink

Given the dateline and this post....
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based...74316.html

Dilbert indeed... Wink Big Grin

Prepare for another 80+ Wink
(27-Oct-2018, 12:23 PM) Bromf Wrote: Don't be too hasty in attributing a statistical impossibility..... Wink

Given the dateline and this post....
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based...74316.html

Dilbert indeed... Wink Big Grin

Heh. Few notice that anagram. Even fewer noticed my current one (agent kith), only one before I let the cat out of the bag.

(27-Oct-2018, 12:23 PM) Bromf Wrote: Prepare for another 80+ Wink

Woot Smile. Funnily enough that site got me interested into CA audio. I believe there is a thread on the ESI Juliet card (I2S straight to my DC-37 is still on my to do list). And I believe there are mods on the Asus ST/STX  too.
(27-Oct-2018, 09:00 AM) agent_kith Wrote: The Snakeoil forum is glowly slowly. In roughly 7 months since the post, the forums has added 77 users.

[Image: boardstats-20181027.png]

The new milestone is the 80 visitors in Oct. That's a statistical impossibility so I have to assume the site is under some sort of probe/hack/DDOS or something. i.e. I would say very few of the 80 users are real people, maybe even 0.

They are 'bots'. Not sure this is a good acheivement to have, but hey, it's something!

Hey AK: I just signed up ! Where are we/you at now (head count)? Plus, I sent a measly $10. And I'm not sure your OS will work/or meet my needs. But then again, if 300 sent ten bones, that's $3K.
In any case, if your OS demonstrates SQ benefits, I'll be more than happy to send more $.
Of great intrerest to me is the option-availability of Kernel sampling/options -Kernel 'Rolling' ?

Moving on, I'm a major 'noob' to computer audio, having ventured in last year/year before (I think), splurging for a Pi3B (running Runeaudio/MPD; Internet Streaming). I'm truly amazed a the SQ from some Int. Radio Stations -typically running at 128 kb/s!
This was unheard of a few years back -OK, make that 10-years (5 maybe) ?

Hi-Rez (and specifically Mostly Questionable Algorithms -aka MQA) offerings may have a very limited, remaining lifespan. As many have stated for years now, the ubiquitous 16/44 can and does sound quite excellent. If recordings (of the good stuff anyway) was recorded at 20-24/88-96 (or 176/192), I'd suspect SQ improvements would be most welcome -but that's simply not the case (for the majority of recorded music).

Of particular annoyance (to my mind) is the high pricing for 20-24/88-96 music (LP) downloads; $20-$30. ! (?)
No manufacturing, no packaging, no cover-art, no sales-people (at the CD/LP store), zero transportation costs. Not even a stinki'n memory-recollection as to where/when purchased! And it costs 2-5 times the price (of a 16/44 CD) ? Gimm'e a break.
I hope both offerings crash in a burning pile of flames -uhhumm (lol)

OK then, where was I ?  Alright then, I'm not sure so I'll say thanks, good luck moving forward and fear not making some money by taking this to a commercial level -should there be commercial interest. As in, if someone feels it to be better than existing, you should capitalize on it -do not offer it up for free commercial use.

Alright then, hope to chat/hear from you soon.

peter jasz
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Hey AK: I just signed up ! Where are we/you at now (head count)? Plus, I sent a measly $10. And I'm not sure your OS will work/or meet my needs. But then again, if 300 sent ten bones, that's $3K.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: In any case, if your OS demonstrates SQ benefits, I'll be more than happy to send more $.

A donation once is enough. Smile For now there should be enough money to keep the lights on this website.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Of great intrerest to me is the option-availability of Kernel sampling/options -Kernel 'Rolling' ?

Yup. Check out the Kernels section in this forum. The available kernels are limited for now, but I hope to expand on that in the future. The plan is to have user do a few clicks, submit it to a website. The website will do it's thing, and when ready, send you an emali with a download link of the custom kernel you want.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Moving on, I'm a major 'noob' to computer audio, having ventured in last year/year before (I think), splurging for a Pi3B (running Runeaudio/MPD; Internet Streaming). I'm truly amazed a the SQ from some Int. Radio Stations -typically running at 128 kb/s!

Yeah. I was given some sample tracks (new age genre), and agreed you are right. Although 128 MP3, the dynamic range is not compressed at all.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Hi-Rez (and specifically Mostly Questionable Algorithms -aka MQA) offerings may have a very limited, remaining lifespan. As many have stated for years now, the ubiquitous 16/44 can and does sound quite excellent. If recordings (of the good stuff anyway) was recorded at 20-24/88-96 (or 176/192), I'd suspect SQ improvements would be most welcome -but that's simply not the case (for the majority of recorded music).

Never tried MQA as I don't have any material. I'm happy with redbook and DSD. DSD has a 'clearer' sound and in some cases it's a good thing.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Of particular annoyance (to my mind) is the high pricing for 20-24/88-96 music (LP) downloads; $20-$30. ! (?)
No manufacturing, no packaging, no cover-art, no sales-people (at the CD/LP store), zero transportation costs. Not even a stinki'n memory-recollection as to where/when purchased! And it costs 2-5 times the price (of a 16/44 CD) ? Gimm'e a break.

I don't like to download music.. Right now my ritual is to go to Hong Kong and buy CDs and SACDs from the shops there, and then bring it back here to Australia. Over here I have friends who can help rip SACD into DSDs. And I play it from there. SACD is getting some sort of resurgence over there. And so are CDs and Vinyls.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: OK then, where was I ?  Alright then, I'm not sure so I'll say thanks, good luck moving forward and fear not making some money by taking this to a commercial level -should there be commercial interest. As in, if someone feels it to be better than existing, you should capitalize on it -do not offer it up for free commercial use.

Given all the software are open source, I really shouldn't charge money for it.

Even when eventually i decide to write my own player, I still wouldn't make this commercial. This way it will make it assessible to as many people as possible. And audiophiles can spend money on hifi equipment or music instead. Thumbs Up

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Alright then, hope to chat/hear from you soon.

I have sent you a PM and an email from another account (Gmail).. Hope you can find those missing emails.
(28-Oct-2018, 07:16 PM) agent_kith Wrote:
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Hey AK: I just signed up ! Where are we/you at now (head count)? Plus, I sent a measly $10. And I'm not sure your OS will work/or meet my needs. But then again, if 300 sent ten bones, that's $3K.

(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: In any case, if your OS demonstrates SQ benefits, I'll be more than happy to send more $.

A donation once is enough. Smile For now there should be enough money to keep the lights on this website.
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Of great intrerest to me is the option-availability of Kernel sampling/options -Kernel 'Rolling' ?

Yup. Check out the Kernels section in this forum. The available kernels are limited for now, but I hope to expand on that in the future. The plan is to have user do a few clicks, submit it to a website. The website will do it's thing, and when ready, send you an emali with a download link of the custom kernel you want.
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Moving on, I'm a major 'noob' to computer audio, having ventured in last year/year before (I think), splurging for a Pi3B (running Runeaudio/MPD; Internet Streaming). I'm truly amazed a the SQ from some Int. Radio Stations -typically running at 128 kb/s!

Yeah. I was given some sample tracks (new age genre), and agreed you are right. Although 128 MP3, the dynamic range is not compressed at all.
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Hi-Rez (and specifically Mostly Questionable Algorithms -aka MQA) offerings may have a very limited, remaining lifespan. As many have stated for years now, the ubiquitous 16/44 can and does sound quite excellent. If recordings (of the good stuff anyway) was recorded at 20-24/88-96 (or 176/192), I'd suspect SQ improvements would be most welcome -but that's simply not the case (for the majority of recorded music).

Never tried MQA as I don't have any material. I'm happy with redbook and DSD. DSD has a 'clearer' sound and in some cases it's a good thing.
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Of particular annoyance (to my mind) is the high pricing for 20-24/88-96 music (LP) downloads; $20-$30. ! (?)

I don't like to download music.. Right now my ritual is to go to Hong Kong and buy CDs and SACDs from the shops there, and then bring it back here to Australia. Over here I have friends who can help rip SACD into DSDs. And I play it from there. SACD is getting some sort of resurgence over there. And so are CDs and Vinyls.
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: OK then, where was I ?  Alright then, I'm not sure so I'll say thanks, good luck moving forward and fear not making some money by taking this to a commercial level -should there be commercial interest. As in, if someone feels it to be better than existing, you should capitalize on it -do not offer it up for free commercial use.

Given all the software are open source, I really shouldn't charge money for it.

Even when eventually i decide to write my own player, I still wouldn't make this commercial. This way it will make it assessible to as many people as possible. And audiophiles can spend money on hifi equipment or music instead. Thumbs Up
(28-Oct-2018, 02:50 PM) allhifi Wrote: Alright then, hope to chat/hear from you soon.

I have sent you a PM and an email from another account (Gmail).. Hope you can find those missing emails

Good day AK: My, my, I was somewhat chatty yesterday -lol. Thanks for the reply.

No received emails -yet. I'll check the PM for any updates.
Thank you,

peter

SnakeoilOS Mission
[-]

Our mission is to create a free to use computer OS that is easy to install, intuitive to operate and play music that will connect and engage with you emotionally.

SnakeoilOS gives you the freedom to spend more time on listening, enjoying and exploring music. Wasting time on computers is now a thing of the past! Everything is constantly evolving/improving. Please check back often for updates.

If you like this project, do show your support with a small token donation. All donations collected will be used to run this website, and for purchasing new equipment for the project.

Latest Threads
[-]
Advertising
[-]