Raspberry Pi 3B+ : Support for Allo DigiOne (Signature)
(27-Apr-2019, 12:25 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(27-Apr-2019, 09:05 AM)mkysimes Wrote: She seems more annoyed than anything when I "force" her to listen to some especially good sounding piece of music. She just says "Yeah honey, sounds great. Ready to watch TV?"  Bored 
Lol. Keep playing, eventually she'll wander in and listen together. Maybe even do a singalong. 

Well I haven't tried that yet Think ....LOL

I'm getting the following errors whit my Digione

snd-allo-digione soc:sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: could not get clk: -517

Pretty much this is due to lack of few other modules which are necessary to be loaded with the Allo driver, but they are not. Those are the modules:

fixed
i2c_bcm2835
snd_soc_wm8804_i2c
snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s

Adding them to the etc/modules on the standard Raspbian fixes those errors. Unfortunately this is not the case on Snakeoil. I got "systemd-modules-load[169]: Failed to lookup alias 'module name': Function not implemented" for all of the modules as they are not build in the kernel. How can i workaround this?

(27-Jul-2019, 06:20 AM)fusos Wrote: I'm getting the following errors whit my Digione

snd-allo-digione socConfusedound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: could not get clk: -517

Pretty much this is due to lack of few other modules which are necessary to be loaded with the Allo driver, but they are not. Those are the modules:

fixed
i2c_bcm2835
snd_soc_wm8804_i2c
snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s

Adding them to the etc/modules on the standard Raspbian fixes those errors. Unfortunately this is not the case on Snakeoil. I got "systemd-modules-load[169]: Failed to lookup alias 'module name': Function not implemented" for all of the modules as they are not build in the kernel. How can i workaround this?

Not sure if you tried this yet but for me all I had to do was make sure allo-digione.dtbo file was in the overlays folder which is the the boot folder. So /boot/overlays/allo-digione.dtbo. And it should be there, never had it not be. Then, also in the boot folder, edit config.txt and add line dtoverlay=allo-digione. You probably have to enable the i2s interface too. So here are the last few paragraphs of my config. You could just copy and paste:

Code:
# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on
dtoverlay=allo-digione

I would also undo any changes you may have done because I never had to go through what you describe.

My config file is properly set, this is not the case. And i’m getting those errors straight out of the box. It’s strange that you don’t have them.Could i ask you to check if you really don't have them, if so than might my issues are with the DigiOne itself.

Those commands will check your log for any entries containing the following term:

journalctl | grep allo-digione
journalctl | grep bcm2835-i2s

Could you share the output of them?

(27-Jul-2019, 02:57 PM)fusos Wrote: My config file is properly set, this is not the case. And i’m getting those errors straight out of the box. It’s strange that you don’t have them.Could i ask you to check if you really don't have them, if so than might my issues are with the DigiOne itself.

Those commands will check your log for any entries containing the following term:

journalctl | grep allo-digione
journalctl | grep bcm2835-i2s

Could you share the output of them?

Well that's interesting....I receive the same errors although after retry it does find it. Here's my output:

pi@snakeoil:~ $ journalctl | grep allo-digione
Jul 08 19:59:22 snakeoil kernel: snd-allo-digione socConfusedound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
Jul 08 19:59:22 snakeoil kernel: snd-allo-digione socConfusedound: wm8804-spdif <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok
pi@snakeoil:~ $ journalctl | grep bcm2835-i2s
Jul 08 19:59:22 snakeoil kernel: bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: could not get clk: -517

Regardless of the error it still works for me. The only other thing I can think of is on the "Music Player" screen in Snakeoil you have to "name" the device. For me the digione is HW:0,0. Look for the one without a name. Click on that device to put it in use and right underneath you'll see "ALSA Configuration". In the name box type "allo-digione" without the quotes and then hit save and restart player. If you've done that already I have no clue why it doesn't work.

It also works with me, regardless of that i would like to avoid having any errors related to the audio as it might have negative impact on the SQ. Loading the listed modules above will fix those errors but it seems i can’t do this with the Snakeoil Kernel.

(27-Jul-2019, 09:57 PM)fusos Wrote: It also works with me, regardless of that i would like to avoid having any errors related to the audio as it might have negative impact on the SQ. Loading the listed modules above will fix those errors but it seems i can’t do this with the Snakeoil Kernel.

My apologies, I thought you were having trouble getting sound. Sounds like a problem for someone who actually knows what they're doing....lol. I think it sounds pretty darn good to me but if it can be even better I'm with you!

Any ideas how to workaround those errors appearing with DigiOne?

This may be normal. The way Linux boot up is it'll try to load multiple drivers concurrently (so everything boots up quicker). If you look at the entire journal, you might see something like:
Code:
[Time 0] Device not loaded, retrying
[Time 1] Device not loaded, retrying
[Time 2] Device loaded, Device is device_name.

Something like this is normal, and can be safely ignored. If there comes a day when we can do custom kernels for the Pi, then we can statically compile the audio driver into the kernel, instead of loading it up as a module. That *might* remove the retry messages, and potentially sound better too.. But, that'll be a project for another day. :p
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • fusos

Thanks for the replay. I will then wait for this better day :)