Raspberry Pi 4 looks interesting.
The new Raspbery Pi 4 is out:
  • A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU (~3× performance)
  • 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
This is it. On the specs front this looks like a good platform for audiophile music streamer. There is only one unknown at this stage - whether the broadcom NIC can do 9k MTU or not. Seeing this is on a dedicated bus, I honestly do not see why not.

Probably the game changer we all have been waiting for this couple of years. I'm going to buy one to develop. And when I collect more project donations, get a second one to tweak.

Not entirely sure which Pi edition you should get. In theory they are always the same, but in practice it may be one model sound better than the other (e.g. 1 GB sound better than 4 GB?). This is something you guys have to tell me, for now I'm just going to get the 4 GB edition.

Stay tuned I guess.. In the mean time, it's time to look into how to get USB-C power from my UpTone power supply.

Update: Note to self, kept here so I don't forget. Some DC to USB-C adaptors:
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

Mine is on order too... Wink   Stock arriving in our collective end of nowhere ,aka The Antipodes, July 4th according to Core Electronics... then another 6 days for the couriers to row mine across the ditch...

Very interesting note about the sd card performance boost...
Quote:The most important new features are the faster processor and GPU, more and faster RAM, the addition of USB 3 ports, dual micro HDMI ports instead of a single HDMI connection and support for 4K output. The higher bus speed that enables USB 3 support also allows the  on-board Ethernet port to support true Gigabit connections (125 MBps) where the last-gen models had a theoretical maximum of just 41 MBps. The microSD card slot is also twice as fast, offering a theoretical maximum of 50 MBps versus 25 MBps on the 3B+.

Comprehensive review here...
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ras...,6193.html

(25-Jun-2019, 08:27 AM)Bromf Wrote: Mine is on order too... Wink   Stock arriving in our collective end of nowhere ,aka The Antipodes, July 4th according to Core Electronics... then another 6 days for the couriers to row mine across the ditch...
I just ordered from Core electronics. But no mention of delivery date Think. Figured 600 arriving next week, surely I have to be one of them?

(25-Jun-2019, 08:27 AM)Bromf Wrote: Very interesting note about the sd card performance boost...
Quote:The most important new features are the faster processor and GPU, more and faster RAM, the addition of USB 3 ports, dual micro HDMI ports instead of a single HDMI connection and support for 4K output. The higher bus speed that enables USB 3 support also allows the  on-board Ethernet port to support true Gigabit connections (125 MBps) where the last-gen models had a theoretical maximum of just 41 MBps. The microSD card slot is also twice as fast, offering a theoretical maximum of 50 MBps versus 25 MBps on the 3B+.

Comprehensive review here...
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ras...,6193.html
Here's a table of benchmarks. RAM bandwidth, ethernet and USB external read/writes are finally up to speed.

How this translates to AQ is really hard to say, but certainly showing a lot of promise on paper.

Both GPIO and usb improved throughput may have a positive impact on DSD and high rate PCM for i2s and USB attached dacs.

Pi4 as the LMS server and other Pi2-3s as players ?
Quote: 
I just ordered from Core electronics. But no mention of delivery date Think. Figured 600 arriving next week, surely I have to be one of them?
I had confirmation of the order last night (so 14 hours before your order) and the website showed a 'small leadtime'
This morning Core sent an email confirming expected arrival to 'The Big Red Desert Island' of July 4th and if my order is processed quickly I should see it here July10th-12th.

(25-Jun-2019, 08:58 AM)Bromf Wrote: Both GPIO and usb improved throughput may have a positive impact on DSD and high rate PCM for i2s and USB attached dacs.

Pi4 as the LMS server and other Pi2-3s as players ?
The CPU is different. So in theory it'll benefit as a player too.  I was more thanking of an AIO (Server+Client).

But now that you mention it, a 2 Pi setup might be benefitial. Combinations include:
  • Pi4 Server → Wifi → Pi 4 client
  • Wifi → Pi4 Server → dedicated cable → Pi4 Client
  • cable → Pi4 Server → USB ethernet → Pi4 Client
  • USB ethernet → Pi4 Server → dedicated network → Pi4 Client
  • cable → Superpower PC (e.g. Ryzen) → dedicated network → Pi4 Client
Last time I worked on these mini computers, Wifi seems to affect the SQ. So the first might be out, but it's worth re-testing this again.

Honestly havn't feel so hyped up in a wihle...wackywackywacky

[Image: bled1.gif] [Image: wow2.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(25-Jun-2019, 08:41 AM)agent_kith Wrote: I just ordered from Core electronics. But no mention of delivery date Think. Figured 600 arriving next week, surely I have to be one of them?
Nup. Missed the boat. Literally snooze and loose.... Not one of first 600 sold. Next shipment July 4. So it'll be mid July before I get my grubby paws on one.

Could be worse. I originally wanna get an extra Pi 3B+. Glad I procrastinated on that Smile

[Image: Do-It-Tomorrowjpg.jpg]

I just logged into Core and they now say no stock until August 5th !!

I will be interested to see if yours turns up before then....especially as my order was a day ahead of yours and Core assure me it's first come first served operation.
Let me know if you check your Core order and find the date has changed....

If it hasn't and you get yours ahead of me I'll rip them a new one... Wink

(04-Jul-2019, 11:21 AM)Bromf Wrote: I just logged into Core and they now say no stock until August 5th !!

I will be interested to see if yours turns up before then....especially as my order was a day ahead of yours and Core assure me it's first come first served operation.
Let me know if you check your Core order and find the date has changed....

If it hasn't and you get yours ahead of me I'll rip them a new one... Wink
I'm supposed to be on the July 4th batch, but now it says Aug 5....

Bastards... [Image: bsod.gif]

Yep..... I'm going to cancel and order from RS here....$20 cheaper, free freight and stock arriving early September....  I don't like what Core have done..."how to piss customers off 101"

An email to the Raspberry Pi chaps alerting them to their distributors woeful customer service might be in order... Wink

(04-Jul-2019, 12:44 PM)Bromf Wrote: Yep..... I'm going to cancel and order from RS here....$20 cheaper, free freight and stock arriving early September....  I don't like what Core have done..."how to piss customers off 101"

An email to the Raspberry Pi chaps alerting them to their distributors woeful customer service might be in order... Wink
But September is later than August? Blush

I'll need more anyway, prob not buy from core-electronics next time. For now I'll just wait it out and see what happens. Bored

Lot's of info lately, e.g. new firmware update to lower core temps. etc. Time will tell if this is going to be the game changer board Smile