Raspberry Pi 4 looks interesting.
(18-Jan-2020, 01:03 AM)Bromf Wrote: That too should be easy to test....IIRC  (Caveat= it is very early in the morning and I'm bleary Wink ) installing a stock kernel and commenting out the RT kernel would work ?
I will have to check the detail when I get home tonight.
Yup. Comment out kernel=xxxx in config.txt should make it work.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(17-Jan-2020, 07:56 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Long story short, my Pi will freeze when I access drives on the NAS using NFS. The solution is to use Windows share (CIFS) instead.

This is really a Pi problem as it incapable of negotiating the packet size properly with the router - but the above workaround will do as the CIFS server running on my NAS (FreeNAS) doesn't seem to use packets larger than 1472 bytes.
Perhaps I'm too quick to blame the Pi for this. After an update to FreeNAS for some reason NFS is working again.. Why oh why do I have to contradict myself? Esp so quickly after I have "fixed" the problem. shrug

Anyhoo I have ordered a new Pi 4 case.

This case looks bloody functional in my books and I hope it'll arrive soon. Will also drop by a local electronics shop (Altronics) one of these days and pick up another Pi 4 (4 GB). Hopefully they have 'em in stock. Having one for development and one for testing will make this easier/quicker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • mkysimes

(21-Jan-2020, 01:49 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Anyhoo I have ordered a new Pi 4 case.

This case looks bloody functional in my books and I hope it'll arrive soon. Will also drop by a local electronics shop (Altronics) one of these days and pick up another Pi 4 (4 GB). Hopefully they have 'em in stock. Having one for development and one for testing will make this easier/quicker.

I have the non-fan version of this with removable magnetic lid.

https://www.amazon.com/Argon-Raspberry-H...25&sr=8-11

Great case! Looks great too! Unfortunately, I bought it thinking it would be easy to just plop the digione on top but the BNC connector gets in the way so I had to buy a GPIO riser adapter to get it to fit Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes mkysimes's post:
  • agent_kith

(21-Jan-2020, 09:27 PM)mkysimes Wrote: I have the non-fan version of this with removable magnetic lid.

https://www.amazon.com/Argon-Raspberry-H...25&sr=8-11

Great case! Looks great too! Unfortunately, I bought it thinking it would be easy to just plop the digione on top but the BNC connector gets in the way so I had to buy a GPIO riser adapter to get it to fit Sad
This is actually the case I'm gonna buy to replace my existing one (my existing case is not very functional in my books). Havn't ordered it yet, waiting on the above to see it's like before I order this..

Yes, saw this last week and ordered one before the lunar New Year shutdown.. Wink

Currently in transit...
Notes... the fan and Pi draw from the same smps and there are reports of the dreaded lightning bolt under-power warning using the standard Pi4B smps... I think though that this is more for high cpu load when used for video and should not be a problem with headless audio.

I have user reports for another Pi audio o/s that the case used as passive heat-sinking keeps the Pi4B at around 40' C Smile

The fan is configurable and has default run speeds at default temps....
Here is the previous version for Pi3B+...note the fan speed options, the ability to customise those, and the shutdown/start-up power button options... Cool

https://www.argon40.com/LEARN/post/assem...-overview/
A very cool case indeed !
[-] The following 2 users Like Bromf's post:
  • mkysimes, agent_kith

(17-Jan-2020, 10:07 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(17-Jan-2020, 09:34 PM)bernardhung Wrote: Confirm the static is 100% gone after moving music file to USB stick (tried R2R and sigma-delta DACs, with/without reclocker), no offense but this doesn't happen with other audiophile OS for RPi.
Snakeoil for Raspberry Pi uses a pretty aggressive kernel - Real time. So that might be the problem. Other Pi distros probably don't care as much hence no problem.

(17-Jan-2020, 09:34 PM)bernardhung Wrote: I am not seeing any options to alter the audio buffer, do I need to become an activated user in the first place?
Activated user really just means beta user. The activated edition of the WebApp allows you to modify some settings, but audio buffering isn't one of them yet.

If you want to alter the buffer, modify the template files directly. Or, use the chprio command and tweak the running process until you find a good mix.

(17-Jan-2020, 09:34 PM)bernardhung Wrote: Grateful for the suggestion, I am so delighted to listen have listened to an apparently more analogue sound from my Pi !!
How does Snakeoil sound compare to the other Pi distros?

Still in two minds with Pi.. While the Pi 4 is impressive, the network driver is so dumb it's pissing me off. The new kernel I've built is 4.19.x I believe. In the future I might experiment with the 5.x series and see if it supports Jumbo frame then. Not that big a deal as of now as I doubt anybody but me uses Jumbo frames...

Have not done a thorough listening as I only loaded one song that the static was apparent, but impression was good, that song somehow felt sweet and smooth.  Glad you have the NFS glitch solved, hope your other Pi4 to arrive soon and developemnt will continue.

(22-Jan-2020, 12:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: I have user reports for another Pi audio o/s that the case used as passive heat-sinking keeps the Pi4B at around 40' C Smile

I can confirm that with the Argon Neo (passive) case, running Moode OS with Sox 24/196 upsampling, streamimg FLAC (Tidal), temps have never gotten above 48C. Room temp is a bit chilly (67F) so summer heat might play a factor and I haven't stress tested it yet, but for all the horror stories I heard about the Pi4 and 80C+ temps I consider myself pretty lucky Whew

Still prefer the sound of Snakeoil OS on the Rpi3 but that's another story Wink
  • Bromf

Motivated to get a sample Pi4 up and running now. The network is no longer shared with the USB bus, meaning it could be less contention = better performance?

Alas just can't find the time to sit down and finish this. Still have over 1300 photos yet to finish post processing from my last trip, and other things to do.. Sighz. Just hope the final product is going to work, and not underwhelming. :(
  • mkysimes

(23-Jan-2020, 10:41 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Motivated to get a sample Pi4 up and running now. The network is no longer shared with the USB bus, meaning it could be less contention = better performance?

Alas just can't find the time to sit down and finish this. Still have over 1300 photos yet to finish post processing from my last trip, and other things to do.. Sighz. Just hope the final product is going to work, and not underwhelming. Sad

Not to push the issue but, I can also confirm that the usb3 output on the pi4 blows away the pi3 in my listening tests.

My XMC-1 processor has a usb input. The dac is above average but I'm betting not even close to the likes of the usb dacs that most of the users here are used to. Accuphase comes to mind Smile

In my tests the pi4 with usb to the XMC-1 comes pretty close to the pi3 with the digione using the same software. Vice versa, the pi3 with usb vs digione is no contest. The digione wins hands down.

Obviously, haven't had a chance to try the pi4 with Snakeoil and the digione but I'm guessing that would sound excellent as the usb already sounds pretty good with, IMO, inferior software.

Just a little food for thought. The moral is the pi4 clearly has a better usb output compared to the pi3 so for those who use USB dacs, I'd be interested to hear your results once Snakeoil is up and running on pi4.
  • agent_kith

Purchased my second RPi4B/4GB from Altronics bricks and motar store. $105 AUD, reasonable I guess as I can get it right there, right then.

Just tested the new kernel and it works like a charm. Now to port the rest of the Snakeoil stuffs over.

It's Chinese New Year today so not entirely sure if I will be pulled away or not. But at least the biggest hurdle ^ is done. Everything else should be relatively straightforward.
  • Bromf