Raspberry Pi 4 looks interesting.
Snakeoil on Buster almost done. Pi 4B Kernel works, firmware upgrade works, just a few more tweaks to go to finalise it.
[Image: snakeoil-on-rpi-buster.png]
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!
[-] The following 3 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Bromf, ghbillou2, mkysimes

Great to hear it goes well.!

Yesterdays Linux 5.5 Kernel announcement should make things even easier in the future.. Smile
Quote:Linux 5.5 comes with improved support for the Raspberry Pi 4 (more specifically the Broadcom BCM2711 chip used in it). This means that the latest and greatest version of the famous single-board computer (SBC) now works “out of the box” on mainline Linux.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ker...c4ede8e7ca

(28-Jan-2020, 07:46 AM)Bromf Wrote: Great to hear it goes well.!
Certainly hope so. The 5.x tree is out for a while, but not the official version for Rpi Buster. I'm in two minds whether to go with 5.x now, or stick with 4.x and have a webapp option to upgrade to 5.x (and switch back when needed).

Biggest got'cha for me is the fact that the P4 ethernet driver don't work with Jumbo frames - somtimes. In general things will work fine, but some operations will fail to work, e.g. firmware upgrades. Basically when dealing with large file transfers, the Pi (or my router) will randomly decides it'll work, or not.

Setting the MTU back to 1500 is the way to go with Pi4 and kernel 4.x... Here's hoping 5.x will fix this.

I am falling in love with the Argon1 case. It is somewhat difficult to fit the Pi unit inside the case as there's not a lot of tolerances. But once snapped in everything else is pretty straight forward. This is a very slick case! Watch out for a review in the news section in due time.

[Image: 20200203-Argon1-0029.jpg]

I will test this Pi4 against the primary PC rig (Jetway) in due time and see how the Pi4 fares.

Using Jumbo Frames improved the SQ on my PC, unfortunately that is a tweak that cannot be applied here. However, the simplicity of the Pi might balance things out? The Pi kernel is also not optimised for audio, so that is another avenue to explore. I honestly have no idea if this will be viable in the short term. But long term wise this might look good.

As context. It took me probably 3 years to tweak the PC, and I have probably spend less than 3 months on the Pi platform (Pi 2 onwards to the current Pi4).

FYI, the Buster edition will be released around end of this month. A test image is already ready but the extended time will hopefully allow me to find any bugs/problems before public release.

Patrons to the project (via Patreon) already have early access and can grab the image from the Patreon site now. I would like to do this for PayPal supporters but alas that just isn't possible AFAICT. If you have donated to the project and want access to the test image, shoot me an email.

Did I mention I am in love with this box? Even if this do not pan out as a Snakeoil player, it might still be an excellent 4K media player.

Argon One case review is now up in the news section, click here to read it now. I really like this case - as a SnakeoilOS streamer or even a media player. Also for the SnakeoilOS Patrons, I updated the ISO today to fix a small bug. Please download and re-write the image file.  Now that the image is still on firmware 1.1.0. Once you have rebooted the machine a second time, upload the latest 1.1.8 firmware to get back to parity.
Click here to get to the early access post (Patrons only).
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • mkysimes

(04-Feb-2020, 05:48 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Argon One case review is now up in the news section, click here to read it now. I really like this case - as a SnakeoilOS streamer or even a media player. Also for the SnakeoilOS Patrons, I updated the ISO today to fix a small bug. Please download and re-write the image file.  Now that the image is still on firmware 1.1.0. Once you have rebooted the machine a second time, upload the latest 1.1.8 firmware to get back to parity.
Click here to get to the early access post (Patrons only).

Donating now! Thank you!

Quick question though, does 1.1.7 also work in case upnp doesn't work? Never had any luck getting bubbleupnp to work with the latest firmware.

(04-Feb-2020, 09:20 PM)mkysimes Wrote: Donating now! Thank you!

Quick question though, does 1.1.7 also work in case upnp doesn't work? Never had any luck getting bubbleupnp to work with the latest firmware.
Yes. That's why the image starts from the base of 1.1.0, and users have freedom to choose whichever version they want. In the future I will de-couple the software players from the version so folks can upgrade to the latest version (fixed bugs), and yet keep their favourite players.

It's an evolving project, just that it's evolving at a pretty slow pace.

Not sure what I did wrong on install but can't see any of my audio devices. I edited the boot config as usual but no dice. Don't have time to play with it right now. I'll do a fresh install tomorrow as I edited the config right after writing to sd card so maybe that did it. Just figured I'd let you know.

I'll update tomorrow after a fresh install and I'll edit the config through ssh this time. Maybe that was the problem.

(05-Feb-2020, 09:42 AM)mkysimes Wrote: Not sure what I did wrong on install but can't see any of my audio devices. I edited the boot config as usual but no dice. Don't have time to play with it right now. I'll do a fresh install tomorrow as I edited the config right after writing to sd card so maybe that did it. Just figured I'd let you know.

I'll update tomorrow after a fresh install and I'll edit the config through ssh this time. Maybe that was the problem.
What audio device are you using? All the DTBS (or whatevery there're called) should be in there. Also are you working on Pi4 or 3?

Hi TK, using Pi4 and latest beta... no USB devices (playbac dac ) detected...
Snakeoil tab hangs on "Please wait... Detecting programmable USB ports." and won't complete so no USB output device found..