Raspberry Pi 4 looks interesting.
(12-Aug-2019, 05:42 PM)Bromf Wrote: Here's another interesting sbc...Intel.. X86, quad core Atom (Cherry Trail-T3), up to 64GB eMMC, up to 4GB ram,    maybe wifi only....can't find pin headers for wired...Sad

https://up-shop.org/up-core/271-up-core....c_on_board
https://up-board.org/upcore/specifications/
Got to say, if you ask me 20 years ago what computers will be like now, I wouldn't have thought all this is possible. That unit has so much potential, the things one can do on this... Heart Heart Heart
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(13-Aug-2019, 07:53 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(12-Aug-2019, 05:42 PM)Bromf Wrote: Here's another interesting sbc...Intel.. X86, quad core Atom (Cherry Trail-T3), up to 64GB eMMC, up to 4GB ram,    maybe wifi only....can't find pin headers for wired...Sad

https://up-shop.org/up-core/271-up-core....c_on_board
https://up-board.org/upcore/specifications/
Got to say, if you ask me 20 years ago what computers will be like now, I wouldn't have thought all this is possible. That unit has so much potential, the things one can do on this... Heart Heart Heart

Are you talking about those small fanless pc running with Intel CPU?  I think their C/P is very high.  I have played around similar products for some years. https://post76.hk/thread-193811-1-1.html
The small fanless PC in above link is brought from TaoBao.  As they are so small and so economic, in past I've got some for different purposes.  Some are running in Ubuntu and Windows for paper work and photo capturing.  Some are for CAS running with Voyage MPD Linux. Big Grin

I see now that the UP-board has several 'HAT' type stackables... including RJ45 Smile.... price starts to climb accordingly
https://up-shop.org/up-core/202-up-core-...speed.html

Finally received this, and it works real  well, so that's my power supply sorted. Be interested to see how the UpTone JS-2 will power this.

[Image: DC-to-USB-C.png]
Stuck on a heatsink onto the CPU, not sure how it'll behave, but will find out in time.

Alas can confirm Stretch no longer works, so have to re-do everything in Buster. Not sure when I'll have that ready yet, but it'll be here when it does.

So many projects, so little time..
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • mkysimes

With U7 out of the way. It's back to the Raspberry Pi work. Today I'm just gonna test the network bandwidth.

This is my old Pi3+
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to router, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  324 KByte (default)
[  3] local pi port 47956 connected with router port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   277 MBytes   232 Mbits/sec

And here's the new Pi4.
Code:
Client connecting to router, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  324 KByte (default)
[  3] local pi4 port 57400 connected with router port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   962 MBytes   807 Mbits/sec

That's an almost 3.5x increase in throughput. So the network port is a true gigabit port now. Albeit not a very fast one as the network chip can't do MTU > 1500 (i.e. RPi4 with stock Buster Raspbian cannot do jumbo frames).

As a term of reference, a good network card with jumbo frames can push 950 Mbit/s. The Pi4 at 807 Mbit/s is pretty respectable.

I expect this Pi4 will do really really well as a network streamer.
  • mkysimes

Good to hear about the network throughput increase! Curious Agent_Kith if you have tried any hats on either of your Rpis or if you're running straight Usb?

As I mentioned in a previous post, the reviews I've read on tested spdif hats have been with other software. Knowing the quality (and lack of affordability for me) of some of the usb dacs that have been used by yourself and others it makes me wonder how close something like a digione with just spdif straight to preamp can sound to something like your Accuphase gear. Sorry, run on sentence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the differences are pretty glaring, but curiosity has me wondering just the same. I personally am pretty happy with what I have but that's obviously just what's available to me. I remember a time when I thought my Bose 601s sounded like the bee's knees until i heard speakers with some detail! You get my drift Dodgy

(01-Sep-2019, 08:40 PM)mkysimes Wrote: Good to hear about the network throughput increase! Curious Agent_Kith if you have tried any hats on either of your Rpis or if you're running straight Usb?
Not yet with the Pi4...

Going to use this Pi4 for development, so gotta save my pennies up to get a second one. I have a HAT somewhere that I can try on then. (I hope everything is forward compatible!)

Will report back.

(01-Sep-2019, 08:40 PM)mkysimes Wrote: As I mentioned in a previous post, the reviews I've read on tested spdif hats have been with other software. Knowing the quality (and lack of affordability for me) of some of the usb dacs that have been used by yourself and others it makes me wonder how close something like a digione with just spdif straight to preamp can sound to something like your Accuphase gear. Sorry, run on sentence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the differences are pretty glaring, but curiosity has me wondering just the same. I personally am pretty happy with what I have but that's obviously just what's available to me. I remember a time when I thought my Bose 601s sounded like the bee's knees until i heard speakers with some detail! You get my drift Dodgy
In theory Pi via I2S out to HAT out should be relatively good. Especially if powered by a good power supply like the JS-2? If it turns out the Pi4 is better than a Pi3B+, that's still a win in my books.
  • mkysimes

(02-Sep-2019, 03:16 PM)agent_kith Wrote: In theory Pi via I2S out to HAT out should be relatively good. Especially if powered by a good power supply like the JS-2? If it turns out the Pi4 is better than a Pi3B+, that's still a win in my books.

Yeah, one of these days I'll save up for a decent power supply but priorities keep me from taking the dive at the moment. Just have to live vicariously through others for now Rolleyes

(03-Sep-2019, 01:57 AM)mkysimes Wrote:
(02-Sep-2019, 03:16 PM)agent_kith Wrote: In theory Pi via I2S out to HAT out should be relatively good. Especially if powered by a good power supply like the JS-2? If it turns out the Pi4 is better than a Pi3B+, that's still a win in my books.

Yeah, one of these days I'll save up for a decent power supply but priorities keep me from taking the dive at the moment. Just have to live vicariously through others for now Rolleyes

For the price of a Pi (and since that's what you're using) this power supply works superbly well...
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-su...apter.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • mkysimes

(03-Sep-2019, 02:32 AM)Bromf Wrote: For the price of a Pi (and since that's what you're using) this power supply works superbly well...
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-su...apter.html

I do remember seeing your suggestion before, Bromf, and appreciate it. I tried to register at that site so I could view the pdf and see what it all entails but I never recieved a conformation email so I'm stuck for now. Would be awesome to get (or build) a quality supply for the price of a pi. Guess I'll have to wait and see if that email arrives.