Raspberry Pi 4 looks interesting.
(19-Nov-2019, 08:21 AM)mkysimes Wrote:
(19-Nov-2019, 07:43 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Really sorry about that. Don't really have much time left in the evenings or the weekends the past few weeks. The few hours here and there, are spent on finishing up Blind Testing U8. Will look into RPi4 once U8 is out, I promise Big Grin Big Grin .

No need to apologize! I'm very thankful for what you've given us so far! Worse comes to worst I can always take the 5 minutes to hook the pi3 back up Thumbs Up

Besides, I'm sure the wait will be well worth it!

Ordered Pi4 with 2GB RAM! Waiting for the new build  Cool

(08-Jan-2020, 09:19 AM)jacky820 Wrote:
(19-Nov-2019, 08:21 AM)mkysimes Wrote:
(19-Nov-2019, 07:43 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Really sorry about that. Don't really have much time left in the evenings or the weekends the past few weeks. The few hours here and there, are spent on finishing up Blind Testing U8. Will look into RPi4 once U8 is out, I promise Big Grin Big Grin .

No need to apologize! I'm very thankful for what you've given us so far! Worse comes to worst I can always take the 5 minutes to hook the pi3 back up Thumbs Up

Besides, I'm sure the wait will be well worth it!

Ordered Pi4 with 2GB RAM! Waiting for the new build  Cool

x2 as RP3B+ has intermittent static when playing which I am not able to find a fix.  I believe this is due to the sharing of the USB/ethernet controller.

Agent Keith, we are waiting on the wings for your next update to RP4, thx in advance.

Cheers

Quote:RP3B+ has intermittent static when playing which I am not able to find a fix. I believe this is due to the sharing of the USB/ethernet controller.
That should be very easy to test, use the Pi3' wifi which does not share the controller, or play some files from a local usb stick....if "static" persists then the problem is not the shared usb/ethernet bus.  You could then try increasing buffers in Snakeoil.

If, on the other hand the "static' disappears then look at your network hardware. (or NAS if you're using one..)

I'm still unwinding from my holiday trip. Not entirely sure why but still am incredibily exhausted... That and I sitll have around 1600 travel pictures to process.

Hopefully I can start working on this soonish, most of the bits ain't that hard. It's just the special kernel build. I kindda forgot how to do it so have to re-look into this. :P Will record this in the Wiki once I re-figure out the steps so other folks can enjoy the benefits too.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(14-Jan-2020, 02:35 AM)Bromf Wrote:
Quote:RP3B+ has intermittent static when playing which I am not able to find a fix. I believe this is due to the sharing of the USB/ethernet controller.
That should be very easy to test, use the Pi3' wifi which does not share the controller, or play some files from a local usb stick....if "static" persists then the problem is not the shared usb/ethernet bus.  You could then try increasing buffers in Snakeoil.

If, on the other hand the "static' disappears then look at your network hardware. (or NAS if you're using one..)

Thanks will try to diagnose as suggested.

There is something quirky about the networking stack on the Raspberry Pi 4. But I can't figure out what exactly it is.

I'm using a new firewall software at the moment (Untangle), and the Pi just straight up refuse to work. And then there's the problem of using Pi in a jumbo frame network environment isn't helping (Pi4 still don't work with Jumbo Frames AFAIK).

You can disable Jumbo frames by adding the following lines to "/etc/sysctl.conf" (Requires restart).
Code:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

Also check if your NAS is using Jumbo frames. If it is, disable it.

(15-Jan-2020, 11:09 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Also check if your NAS is using Jumbo frames. If it is, disable it.
Finally figure out a workaround to use Jumbo Frames with Raspberry Pi (whose network hardware physically supports Jumbo Frames, but the 4.x kernel driver don't have the code for it).

Long story short, my Pi will freeze when I access drives on the NAS using NFS. The solution is to use Windows share (CIFS) instead.

This is really a Pi problem as it incapable of negotiating the packet size properly with the router - but the above workaround will do as the CIFS server running on my NAS (FreeNAS) doesn't seem to use packets larger than 1472 bytes.

With that out of the way the Pi4 kernel is now built. For good measure I'll probably do a Pi3 kernel as well so it'll work on both.

Hopefully over this weekend or next I can set up a test image for Gear Isolation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Bromf

(14-Jan-2020, 02:35 AM)Bromf Wrote:

Confirm the static is 100% gone after moving music file to USB stick (tried R2R and sigma-delta DACs, with/without reclocker), no offense but this doesn't happen with other audiophile OS for RPi.

I am not seeing any options to alter the audio buffer, do I need to become an activated user in the first place?

Grateful for the suggestion, I am so delighted to listen have listened to an apparently more analogue sound from my Pi !!

(17-Jan-2020, 09:34 PM)bernardhung Wrote: Confirm the static is 100% gone after moving music file to USB stick (tried R2R and sigma-delta DACs, with/without reclocker), no offense but this doesn't happen with other audiophile OS for RPi.
Snakeoil for Raspberry Pi uses a pretty aggressive kernel - Real time. So that might be the problem. Other Pi distros probably don't care as much hence no problem.

(17-Jan-2020, 09:34 PM)bernardhung Wrote: I am not seeing any options to alter the audio buffer, do I need to become an activated user in the first place?
Activated user really just means beta user. The activated edition of the WebApp allows you to modify some settings, but audio buffering isn't one of them yet.

If you want to alter the buffer, modify the template files directly. Or, use the chprio command and tweak the running process until you find a good mix.

(17-Jan-2020, 09:34 PM)bernardhung Wrote: Grateful for the suggestion, I am so delighted to listen have listened to an apparently more analogue sound from my Pi !!
How does Snakeoil sound compare to the other Pi distros?

Still in two minds with Pi.. While the Pi 4 is impressive, the network driver is so dumb it's pissing me off. The new kernel I've built is 4.19.x I believe. In the future I might experiment with the 5.x series and see if it supports Jumbo frame then. Not that big a deal as of now as I doubt anybody but me uses Jumbo frames...

@agent_kith 
Quote: Snakeoil for Raspberry Pi uses a pretty aggressive kernel - Real time. So that might be the problem. Other Pi distros probably don't care as much hence no problem.

That too should be easy to test....IIRC  (Caveat= it is very early in the morning and I'm bleary Wink ) installing a stock kernel and commenting out the RT kernel would work ?
I will have to check the detail when I get home tonight.