Request For Comments: Snakeoil 1.0.0
For folks who are unaware of the history of Snakeoil OS, it's based on the Operating System I was running at the time in my own personal Computer. I have switched from Windows to Linux with a RT kernel as the quality of the sound is a major step up. Folks around Perth WA like the sound of the machine and we started to band together, image the installation on my PC onto other computers and explore the various setups, configurations and tweaks to improve the sound quality.

The Snakeoil OS is born on the 29th Feb 2016, an ISO is released to make this process easier. A web application is hastily clobbered in to do most of the stuffs without ever dabbling in the command line. A Linux Distro by audiophiles, for audiophiles who aren't well versed with the world of computers. This distro is far from perfect, and I'm amazed people are actually using it.

The 0.1.x release of the Snakeoil OS is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and Ubuntu will stop supporting this version on the 26 April 2017. It is time to upgrade the OS to the newer 16.04 LTS, and along with it a modern web application based on Angular.

This is a very ambitious goal and will take a lot of time to finish. Here is the current feature list: 
  1. 0000061[web-app] Migrate all CGI functions into ReST so they can be called by Angular Service Providers
  2. 0000059[players] RoonServer + Squeezelite Combo
  3. 0000058[web-app] Web version of SSH (Secure console remote access your Snakeoil computer straight from the browser)
  4. 0000057[web-app] Web version of VNC (Graphical remote access your Snakeoil computer straight from the browser)
  5. 0000015[web-app] Move UI from pure PHP+HTML+CSS to Javascript Angular
  6. 0000005[install] Raspberry Pi edition
  7. 0000030[players] Build special MPD edition with curl support
  8. 0000056[install] Based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  9. 0000055[web-app] Make sure you cannot install firmware between 1.x.x and 0.1.x
  10. 0000031[install] Icons missing when running Ubiquity
  11. 0000004[web-app] Make it easy for people to copy files
  12. 0000023[players] Squeezelite should also recognise ALSA default directive
Last update: 3 Mar 2017.

Note This list is dynamic, and not all features will be added in the first 1.0.0 release. But I will try to incorporate as many as I can. For the latest update, refer to the 1.0 Roadmap.

At the moment the plan is to release Snakeoil OS 1.0 in 3 variants: 
  • AMD/Intel x64 
  • AMD/Intel x32
  • Raspberry Pi (Maybe for now)
Now the ball is in your court, if you feel there's something not right about the current version of Snakeoil OS, please let me know now so it will not be present in 1.0.  Thumbs Up  Please comment if you have any suggestions for the next release.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I propose to add to the web-interface the ability to bind a process or thread to the CPU cores and the possibility of the isolation of CPU cores (isolcpus)
Sorry for my English
[GA-H170M-D3H + G4400 + SOtM tX-USB] > Ortofon DGI-K2 Silver > LKS Audio MH-DA003 USB Upgrade > Audioquest Colorado > Audio Note P2SE > Audio Note AN-B > Tannoy D500

[-] The following 1 user Likes m@jor's post:
  • agent_kith

hi agent kith from sunny NZ. in MPD is the "Replace Playlist" supposed to just empty the playlist, or replace what is there with the selected file. currently it just empties mine. 

if possible, it would be  a real bonus for me if it replaced the playlist files with the selected ones.

is this what you are asking us for?

btw, i am still loving snakeoil. many thanks to you.

(06-Mar-2017, 05:38 PM)rocl444 Wrote: hi agent kith from sunny NZ. in MPD is the "Replace Playlist" supposed to just empty the playlist, or replace what is there with the selected file. currently it just empties mine. 

if possible, it would be  a real bonus for me if it replaced the playlist files with the selected ones.

is this what you are asking us for?
Pretty sure replace playlist will replace your current playlist with the files you have selected. Which client are you using, and what version of MPD?
(06-Mar-2017, 05:38 PM)rocl444 Wrote: btw, i am still loving snakeoil. many thanks to you.
The next version will be even better. Heart

Doesn't look like much right now, but this is the beginnings of the next user interface. Written with Angular2 as the front end and cpprestsdk as the backend. Those few lines on the web page (right) took me 3 whole days to get it to work Confused Confused.

[Image: Step_0.png]

Hopefully I can pick up the pace as I get more familar with JavaScript.

From the above "Hello world" type application to a more functional prototype.

Built with Angular2 plus Akveo's ng2-admin framework. Still very unfinished, and can't figure out how to "unescape" the tags so I can do a multiline table!! Very much a work in progress at the moment. Wonder when this will see the light of day?
[Image: angular_snakeoil.jpg]

[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Bromf, a.dent

i'm using Client175 and recently moved from MPD v19 to v20. no change. replace just empties the playlist.

(12-Mar-2017, 05:19 AM)rocl444 Wrote: i'm using Client175 and recently moved from MPD v19 to v20. no change. replace just empties the playlist.
It's been such a long time since I used MPD. Will check on this now and get back to you.

Edit:
Where abouts did you do this replacement from? I tried replacing tracks/folders from folders, and from the middle area. and all seem to work fine. I do this by selecting the items, then right click, and choose the "replace playlist" button. This is tested with chrome.

Some things you can try: 
  1. Try a different browser (which browser are you using right now?)
  2. Do a database rescan.

aha - it works from the middle panel. i use the folders in the Navigation panel on the left and that is where it doesn't work. even with this inconvenience, this is the way i prefer.

i also notice that if i click on a folder in the navigation column, it appears in the middle collumn and from there the replace doesn't work

(13-Mar-2017, 03:33 AM)rocl444 Wrote: aha - it works from the middle panel. i use the folders in the Navigation panel on the left and that is where it doesn't work. even with this inconvenience, this is the way i prefer.

i also notice that if i click on a folder in the navigation column, it appears in the middle collumn and from there the replace doesn't work

Folders from the left work for me.. Can you be more specific which icons from the left panel isn't working? If it's the directory folder that worked for me. The playlists option (at the top) don't have the replace list menu option for me.

Here's an update of the new GUI so far. These pics are actually from last week as I havn't found enough time to work on anything Snakeoil in the past five days :(

Click on the image to get a bigger picture. Snakeoil at the moment is written with PHP, meaning the user interface and the logic are interwoven so tightly together some of the changes are very hard to make.

This new web interface is now 100% presentation only and the logic is handled by something else. This change in theory should mean new (and often very difficult) features can be added quickly and easily without affecting other parts of the Snakeoil code.

Earlier on when I was asking about suggestions? Basically it's about asking for ideas for features you guys are interested in. see the two blank spaces in the lower right? I'm looking for ideas on what to be placed there. Not just for dashboard, but for all the other existing tabs in Snakeoil, what do think is lacking in the current web applicaiton. What additioinal things do you like? And so on.

[Image: fs_snakeoil_ui.jpg]

Another new feature is the mobile/tablet friendly of the new web app. The widgets, forms and other presentations will be automatically resized according to the screen real estate you have.

[Image: mb_snakeoil_ui.jpg]

Hope you guys like this short progress report. Will update with more information when I have time to crank out more code.
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Leonard, Bromf