Request For Comments: Snakeoil 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-12-09-at-3-05-36-pm.png]

I was just wondering whether the unused HDMI port(s) on my Pi4 might be creating noise by actively looking for new connections. Any ideas on ssh commands to turn them off and if this makes any sense, maybe a future Snakeoil feature to do so?

(09-Dec-2020, 03:11 PM)JD1 Wrote: I was just wondering whether the unused HDMI port(s) on my Pi4 might be creating noise by actively looking for new connections. Any ideas on ssh commands to turn them off and if this makes any sense, maybe a future Snakeoil feature to do so?
Modify /boot/config.txt,

look for the line
Code:
dtparam=audio=on

and change it to:
Code:
#dtparam=audio=on

Reboot the pi, hopefully the onboard audio will be disabled.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

What is the command I use to get into /boot/config.txt  in order to modify it?

Note to self:    sudo nano /boot/config.txt

and exit is control-X not shift-X, fn-x or command-X like you always try  Wink

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks
[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-12-09-at-4-02-11-pm.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes JD1's post:
  • agent_kith

(09-Dec-2020, 03:46 PM)JD1 Wrote: What is the command I use to get into /boot/config.txt  in order to modify it?

Note to self:    sudo nano /boot/config.txt

and exit is control-X not shift-X, fn-x or command-X like you always try  Wink

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks
Any audio improvements?

Yes, very good improvement to my ears. Thanks for that.  Thumbs Up
[-] The following 1 user Likes JD1's post:
  • agent_kith

[Image: cheer3.gif] [Image: cheer3.gif]

The installer stuffs is feature complete!!! Alpha will be released soonish I guess, just need to workout the logitistics to best do this. Getting the code done is one thing, there's still documentation to do. Would like to update the Wiki software first before I start working on documentation. So that's my plan of action today.

For now I only recommend folks install this alpha on a new system, install Ubuntu 20.x Server first. Then download the installer, and away we go (hopefully).
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • Bromf

(17-Dec-2020, 01:04 PM)agent_kith Wrote: [Image: cheer3.gif] [Image: cheer3.gif]

The installer stuffs is feature complete!!! Alpha will be released soonish I guess, just need to workout the logitistics to best do this. Getting the code done is one thing, there's still documentation to do. Would like to update the Wiki software first before I start working on documentation. So that's my plan of action today.

For now I only recommend folks install this alpha on a new system, install Ubuntu 20.x Server first. Then download the installer, and away we go (hopefully).

Magic !! Cool  I'm up for testing, breakage and all that fun stuff !  :-)   What's 20.x sounding like for you compared to your 16.04 reference ?

(17-Dec-2020, 03:06 PM)Bromf Wrote: Magic !! Cool  I'm up for testing, breakage and all that fun stuff !  :-)   What's 20.x sounding like for you compared to your 16.04 reference ?
Havn't run it on my main rig yet... Been busy trying to get this done... Will probably run this on my main rig sometime next week... Not expecting much until I get the kernel customised..

(09-Dec-2020, 03:21 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(09-Dec-2020, 03:11 PM)JD1 Wrote: I was just wondering whether the unused HDMI port(s) on my Pi4 might be creating noise by actively looking for new connections. Any ideas on ssh commands to turn them off and if this makes any sense, maybe a future Snakeoil feature to do so?
Modify /boot/config.txt,

look for the line
Code:
dtparam=audio=on

and change it to:
Code:
#dtparam=audio=on

Reboot the pi, hopefully the onboard audio will be disabled.

Is it possible to do the same for Intel 32/64 bit? If so how. I looked for /boot/config.txt but it doesn't exist on my system

(18-Dec-2020, 07:11 AM)PeteCallaghan Wrote: Is it possible to do the same for Intel 32/64 bit? If so how. I looked for /boot/config.txt but it doesn't exist on my system
You can go to the EFI/BIOS and disable onboard audio. That will do a similar thing.