Request For Comments: Snakeoil 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
(05-Sep-2020, 11:55 PM)claybomb Wrote: Current chain:
MConnect (Tidal) > upmpdcli (client) >Minimserver > SnakeoilOs > Schiit Yggdrasil

Looking to accomplish the equivalent of using exclusive mode on the tidal desktop app.
You are using MPD, so it will be bitperfect as long as you've not enabled DSP, and the MPD's internal software volume mixer is set to 100% (or disabled).
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I'm going to make a change in direction into how Snakeoil Gear Isolation is going to work..

I will do away with custom ISOs now. And install focus on getting an installer out. So the idea is you download the installer, run the installer, and viola, it's running Snakeoil OS software.

Not sure why I havn't thought of this before as it solves several problems:
1. Driver and hardware support problems
2. Work with any debian based distro

This arrangement means you'll still be running the stock kernel though, but then it will be super easy to customise your kernel with this new setup. Hope to rush this out later in Dec when I have a 3 week (or so) break... So stay tuned, and I hope you guys can be patient until this is ready.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

(12-Oct-2020, 05:26 PM)agent_kith Wrote: I'm going to make a change in direction into how Snakeoil Gear Isolation is going to work..

I will do away with custom ISOs now. And install focus on getting an installer out. So the idea is you download the installer, run the installer, and viola, it's running Snakeoil OS software.

Not sure why I havn't thought of this before as it solves several problems:
1. Driver and hardware support problems
2. Work with any debian based distro

This arrangement means you'll still be running the stock kernel though, but then it will be super easy to customise your kernel with this new setup. Hope to rush this out later in Dec when I have a 3 week (or so) break... So stay tuned, and I hope you guys can be patient until this is ready.

Am I correct in saying that the stock kernel will not sound as good as the RT kernels that you have tweaked and published?  I have so far avoided Kernel tweaking but it looks like I will need to learn more about them in 1.2.0

(14-Oct-2020, 09:28 AM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Am I correct in saying that the stock kernel will not sound as good as the RT kernels that you have tweaked and published?  I have so far avoided Kernel tweaking but it looks like I will need to learn more about them in 1.2.0
It depends on how "big" a difference is. It's like saying how long a piece of string is. The problem is there is no rhyme or reason why something is better, only via experimentation.

The stock Ubuntu kernel (for 14.04 and 16.04) at least sounds better than a stock Windows 7 install. And various versions of the RT kernel sound better than the stock ubuntu kernel.

The kicker is, using the same configuration file, different version of the RT patches have a slightly different presentation. Some has better bass, some has better speed (as in when you hit the drum, the attack comes quicker, and as it fades, it doesn't "drag on")...

The kernels used so far is focused on sound localisation.. as in, when an instrument plays, or a vocal sings, you have a definite lock on where that sound is coming from - be it in front of you, up in the ceilings, to your left, behind you, outside the room. And you have a general sense how far that sound is from your seat. The advantage of this is clarity, you can hear a lot into the details of the recording. Down side is redbook music don't so too good, and there isn't a lot of bass..

Allowing users to easily experiment with kernels will open up Snakeoil more, allowing you guys to tune the system exactly the way you want it - if you put enough time and effort of coz as trying different kernels is really a pain in the arse... It's not an easy task, lots and lots of problem - mainly most of the time the difference you think you're hearing isn't actually real...
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • Snoopy8, hkphantomgtr

(12-Oct-2020, 05:26 PM)agent_kith Wrote: This arrangement means you'll still be running the stock kernel though, but then it will be super easy to customise your kernel with this new setup.
(14-Oct-2020, 12:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Allowing users to easily experiment with kernels will open up Snakeoil more, allowing you guys to tune the system exactly the way you want it - if you put enough time and effort of coz as trying different kernels is really a pain in the arse... It's not an easy task, lots and lots of problem - mainly most of the time the difference you think you're hearing isn't actually real...

Sorry, I do not understand about customising kernels.  Is it easy or hard?

(15-Oct-2020, 07:35 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(12-Oct-2020, 05:26 PM)agent_kith Wrote: This arrangement means you'll still be running the stock kernel though, but then it will be super easy to customise your kernel with this new setup.
(14-Oct-2020, 12:40 PM)agent_kith Wrote: Allowing users to easily experiment with kernels will open up Snakeoil more, allowing you guys to tune the system exactly the way you want it - if you put enough time and effort of coz as trying different kernels is really a pain in the arse... It's not an easy task, lots and lots of problem - mainly most of the time the difference you think you're hearing isn't actually real...

Sorry, I do not understand about customising kernels.  Is it easy or hard?
Easy to swap kernels, hard to determine which kernel actually produces better sound.

As an example, I can supply 10 kernels, and it should be easy for you to switch between them... But finding which of the 10 is better, that can be real difficult (for me at least).
  • Snoopy8

(12-Oct-2020, 05:26 PM)agent_kith Wrote: I will do away with custom ISOs now. And install focus on getting an installer out. So the idea is you download the installer, run the installer, and viola, it's running Snakeoil OS software.
So have been experimenting with this on and off the past few days/weeks/months?.. So far so good and I've made some positive solid progress on the installe. Which is something we called "a shell script".

Everything looks like it's going to work, just have to setup the build and automation environment for this. Looking good guys, so touch wood I can finish this off.
[-] The following 3 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • PeteCallaghan, Snoopy8, hkphantomgtr

(21-Jun-2020, 08:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Sigh, been so tired lately i have next to no energy after my job to work on this project. Hopefully you guys are still enjoying Snakeoil as it is.. Still have a lot of things planned in the pipeline, alas just don't have the energy to execute 'em. Hopefully things will look up soon.
I can't stand it any more.

I've told the powers that be I'll simply leave if the bullying is not going to stop. They seem to see that as a challenge and I always have the feeling they are daring me to leave. so I am going to give them the satisfaction. Tendered my resignation first thing this Monday, and my last day of salary employment will be on 20th Nov 2020.

For years now I am so exhausted when I got home, I had to take a nap, and more often than not I have to sleep the whole weekend away. For a while I am honestly worried this is an early sign of depression. But at the end of the day, I'm just exhausted.

It is time for a circuit breaker. I'm not young anymore so it's time to place more focus on my general health and state of mind.

So here are some quick points
  • For the foreseeable future I will be unemployed. Not going to go on welfare or jobseeker and I'll just have to rely on my savings.
  • I have to be extra prudent with my spending as I will have zero income from Nov 20th 2020. I am 44 years now, and job prospects is no longer rosy (Australian government is encouraging young people into the workforce and pushes folks over 35 out). The Snakeoil  project is part of my expenses. Operations will cease if I can no longer afford to run it (Cost of the VPS, and the Internet connection I need to upload stuffs and communicate with you guys)
  • Of course I do not see this happening any time soon, as I still have about $200+ left from Paypal donations.
  • This is just me being open that I have to bunker down and I keep my finances in check (Internet access here in Australia is expensive)
  • On the bright side I will have more time to work on the Snakeoil project
I've told the powers that be I'll not be looking for work at all anytime soon. But that's a lie Baeh. Obviously I have to start pimping myself out straight away Smile Will keep you guys updated.

Hey if any of you guys are in Perth and want to hire me, let me know? I'm also happy to mover interstate to Tasmania - but you have to convince my Mrs!
  • hkphantomgtr

One additional update,

I have created a new tier in Patron: https://www.patreon.com/snakeoilos

That's USD$5 a month. Every little bit helps to keep this project alive.

As one would expect, I'll be spending this 1 1/2 weeks trying to document all the things I've done for any handover, so I'll be even more exhausted than usual (I don't need an alarm clock to wake me up but I already overslept twice this week)... This is the final rush so expect more of the same. My apologies if I'm not super responsive until end of next Friday.

Take care, Agent Kith, tomorrow will be a better day.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith