Request For Comments: Snakeoil 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
(21-Nov-2019, 10:20 PM)seafoodlover Wrote: Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Clap Clap Clap
looking forward to 1.2, hope it can resolve my memory leaking problem when using MPD 21.x.
just curious, am i the only one have this issue?
So far yes. Tongue Which is really weird. Been meaning to grab a copy of music from you that exhibits this problem so I can investigate properly, but then I'm kind of worried about copyright infrigements.

Then there's also many other little projects and things to do and honestly don't really have the time to dig deep into this.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

No worries la, may be just my own PC problem

Performing a release upgrade from the Web App is just not going to work reliably. Going to remove this feature for now, but will write up a wiki on how to perform this from the SSH command line.

I'm back! Sort'a. Landed in Perth at 5:20ish this morning, home at 6:10am this morning, and then at work at 07:30am... Had the worst airline food ever (and service) but that's another story. Long story short, after a few days of unwind I'll back back on Snakeoil development.

For the most part this is feature complete. I'll just spend the time to try and get UEFI working for people. If you guys have a EFI system that doesn't work before, please post here so I can get a feel of what equipment are having problems. Thanks in advance.
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066, mkysimes

I've spent the past few months trying to move to a new hypervisor (this is something that allows me to run multiple virtual machines in the one machine). Unfortunately didn't have much time to do snakeoil development. But I will be back on this soonish (hopefully).

In the mean time, here's a question. How many of you are still using the 32 bit Snakeoil? I ask because, Debian (of which Ubuntu is based) will drop support for this architecture in time. I don't know when that will happen, or if it will happen. But they are certainly planning and talking about it. And almost every CPU out there right now are 64 bit CPUs.

Let me know and I'll make the decision to release a 32 bit ISO or not.

After running 1.1.9 for a day, IMHO I'd like to see some features in the future release as below:

1. Normal/Advanced mode
User could choose how technical their Webapp interface would be. When running normal mode, everything remains the same, otherwise use would see the sections as I mentioned below; 

2. A terminal on webapp

3. Autostart section.
There should be scripts or apps user wants to load on every start, e.g., a script to run PWM fan module. Also a panel where use could choose which app to run (or to disable) on start would be very useful.

4. System info panel
A panel on dashboard showing which music player, renderer, server and client are currently running, and how many resources they are occupying (if possible).

5. A graphical text editor/notepad on Webapp
On left panel there would be a tree view of directories. All editable files would be listed. On the right there would be an editing pane. Imagine you could use Atom, Sublime Text or Brackets on the Webapp.

6. Additions of Minimserver or BubbleUPnP
I have no idea why there is no Minimserver option on my activated 1.1.9. I have to install it manually.

7. Emby, Jellyfin or Plex
Either one, or all of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mandickay's post:
  • agent_kith

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: After running 1.1.9 for a day, IMHO I'd like to see some features in the future release as below:

1. Normal/Advanced mode
User could choose how technical their Webapp interface would be. When running normal mode, everything remains the same, otherwise use would see the sections as I mentioned below; 
That's a great idea.

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 2. A terminal on webapp
It's in the plans. Built in VNC also. One of the first ideas in my to do list. (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna...-/issues/9 and https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna.../issues/10)

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 3. Autostart section.
There should be scripts or apps user wants to load on every start, e.g., a script to run PWM fan module. Also a panel where use could choose which app to run (or to disable) on start would be very useful.
This will be added in Gear Isolation (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna...issues/164)

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 4. System info panel
A panel on dashboard showing which music player, renderer, server and client are currently running, and how many resources they are occupying (if possible).
It's kind of similiar to this idea (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna.../issues/49). This stats collection/monitoring

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 5. A graphical text editor/notepad on Webapp
On left panel there would be a tree view of directories. All editable files would be listed. On the right there would be an editing pane. Imagine you could use Atom, Sublime Text or Brackets on the Webapp.
I thought of that, unfortunately chances of novice breaking things is pretty high. And they can SSH into it anyway.. So in a way, the SSH is the first test, if one can do that, it kindda mean they wouldn't break things that easily. However, if I enable this feature, chances of people breaking things will sky rocket. This is kind of why I havn't added SSH and VNC directly into the WebApp.
Eventually inline edit will work it's way in. Doing that in the short term is just taking more of my time for support, instead of dev work.

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 6. Additions of Minimserver or BubbleUPnP
I have no idea why there is no Minimserver option on my activated 1.1.9. I have to install it manually.
It should be there? In the install option. If not, just install minimserver manually. I believe right now this player works in conjuction with bubbleUPNP (could be wrong). More flexibility will be added in the next major release.

(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 7. Emby, Jellyfin or Plex
Plex is supported. Will add Emby and Jellyfin also in the future. (Not sure what they are yet :p, will google).

I'm hoping Snakeoil Gear Isolation will be based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. This is going to be interesting, as I'm not sure whether to keep the old 4.x kernel, or build a newer 5.x kernel. It's very likely I'm going to go with a 5.x kernel. Not too sure if I can get early beta test ISOs ready, but will try my best (Assuming the Ubuntu release is on time).

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is out.. I have 9 virtual machines to upgrade to this new release, before I can spin up the test ISO.. This is going to take a while... The point of this post however, is I'm not sure if there is a 32 bit edition out there.

There might still be one available, but I'm not sure about future releases. The upside of deprecating 32 bit support is - I only need to update 7 machines from then on. The downside is anybody running 32 bit Snakeoil might need to reinstall to the newer 64 bit version.

The second thing is, 20.04 is using kernel 5.4.x. So it looks like I will have to spin up some new kernels for this. There is a lot of work to do, hopefully I can juggle the time available. so fun and interesting times ahead.

(13-Apr-2020, 12:33 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: After running 1.1.9 for a day, IMHO I'd like to see some features in the future release as below:

1. Normal/Advanced mode
That's a great idea.
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 2. A terminal on webapp
It's in the plans. Built in VNC also. One of the first ideas in my to do list. (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna...-/issues/9 and https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna.../issues/10)
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 3. Autostart section.
This will be added in Gear Isolation (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna...issues/164)
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 4. System info panel
It's kind of similiar to this idea (https://git.snakeoil-os.net/snakeoil/sna.../issues/49). This stats collection/monitoring
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 5. A graphical text editor/notepad on Webapp
I thought of that, unfortunately chances of novice breaking things is pretty high. And they can SSH into it anyway.. So in a way, the SSH is the first test, if one can do that, it kindda mean they wouldn't break things that easily. However, if I enable this feature, chances of people breaking things will sky rocket. This is kind of why I havn't added SSH and VNC directly into the WebApp.
Eventually inline edit will work it's way in. Doing that in the short term is just taking more of my time for support, instead of dev work.
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 6. Additions of Minimserver or BubbleUPnP
It should be there? In the install option. If not, just install minimserver manually. I believe right now this player works in conjuction with bubbleUPNP (could be wrong). More flexibility will be added in the next major release.
(11-Apr-2020, 10:46 PM)mandickay Wrote: 7. Emby, Jellyfin or Plex
Plex is supported. Will add Emby and Jellyfin also in the future. (Not sure what they are yet :p, will google).

I think keep the snakeoil as sample as possible is the best unless you want to change it to become media server.
[-] The following 1 user Likes seafoodlover's post:
  • agent_kith