Request For Comments: Snakeoil 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
Just a quick update on progress:
  • Supporting libs (libFLAC, libVorbis, ALSA, etc) are built, and in some cases updated
  • The Snakeoil REST API server is built
Currently stuck at the WebApp, trying to make it build is kindda not as trivial as I thought it will be. :( Once that is complete I will begin work on:
  • Spinning up a new LiveCD based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  • Work on new 5.x RT kernel
Note that moving on there may potentially not be a 32 bit binary (yet to confirm so stay tuned).
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Sigh, been so tired lately i have next to no energy after my job to work on this project. Hopefully you guys are still enjoying Snakeoil as it is.. Still have a lot of things planned in the pipeline, alas just don't have the energy to execute 'em. Hopefully things will look up soon.

Health and happiness are far more important than coding... :-)

One of the things that has always heartened me about the Snakeoil community is their relaxed but enthusiastic support.

The current release does all I could ask of it and the plethora of tweaks means that I have a S/Q I am more than pleased with. Anything more is just icing on the cake ;-)

That you have a real job AND do ALL the Snakeoil development  is  a feat of superhuman proportions.

I am sure that we all wish you to take time out and recharge..!!

Best Regards,
Bob
[-] The following 3 users Like Bromf's post:
  • mkysimes, agent_kith, Walzocker56

(21-Jun-2020, 08:57 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Sigh, been so tired lately i have next to no energy after my job to work on this project. Hopefully you guys are still enjoying Snakeoil as it is.. Still have a lot of things planned in the pipeline, alas just don't have the energy to execute 'em. Hopefully things will look up soon.

Pls. take care, pls. treat yourself better.  You've already made it a very good job. Shy
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith

Now with all the web software updated, I finally have the time to sit down and cleared some tickets for 1.1.10. Still not working at the pace I would like, but at this time any progress is good progress.

Shout out to any Victorians who see this, I feel your pain. And this second lock down is going to be way more devastating than the first. Same goes out to the people of Hong Kong, regardless what side of the fence you sit on, hope you guys work it out. There's this Chinese saying, country before family.. I honestly do not buy there, family always come first. If there's no family, there's no unity. And if there's no unity, there's no country. Family always come first, if there's a family, then there's a place worth protecting, and a country is formed. Sure there are disagreements between generations, income and what not. But always stick to this mantra - family comes first. Both sides of the camp have to give way, and at the end of the day, the world ultimately have to be handed to the younger generations (for better or worse).

Anyway, my online order is still missing some components (SFP network card!) which means I can't really work on 1.2.0 ISO reliably. But I have some good news at least, the AVoverIP device I ordered finally arrived, and a quick test seems to work well.

[Image: Transmitter.jpg]
So what this does is encode the HDMI output of a computer and send it over the network. On the other side of the network, I can connect a keyboard and control the headless machine in my music room. If this also works with USB ISO install it means I have solved a long standing problem and speed up developing/testing of ISO builds.

Now just have to wait for the SFP network card to arrive so everything can come together.

Looks like I also need to get another Pi4 just for testing as 2 isn't enough. The iea is to free up one but alas just don't have the time to sit down and properly work this out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • seafoodlover

Not sure I follow you as to the use of the HDMI over IP ?  I'm missing something but what ?
Quote:I can connect a keyboard and control the headless machine in my music room
How is this different from headless/Snakeoil webpage/ ssh etc ?

Asking as I have an HDMI over IP multichannel controller and several receivers that I've never found a use for.. Think

Older version of this...
https://www.plutodirect.co.uk/collection...4-lite-kit

(working and with all items including manuals ..... $5.00 complete  at our local recycling dump shop... Blush  )

I have family in Melbourne and we all worry at how quickly the 'Plague' has ramped up there. Sick

(06-Aug-2020, 12:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: How is this different from headless ssh etc ?
Difference is I can't install an OS via SSH. I can also get into the computer BIOS this way, but can't with SSH.

Granted with this device I have to write the ISO image to a USB stick, then insert the USB stick into the receiver unit and boot (This is a theory as I've yet to test this).

A server remote console has better features (ability to power computer on/off, ability to insert a ISO file as if it is a CD-ROM or a USB stick). But motherboards with this remote console is very expensive. So this poor man's version is good enough for me.

(06-Aug-2020, 12:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: Asking as I have an HDMI over IP multichannel controller and several receivers that I've never found a use for.. Think

Older version of this...

(working and with all items including manuals ..... $5.00 complete  at our local recycling dump shop... Blush  )
Almost! This unit you have don't have USB, so you can only see the screen, but don't have the ability to control it (i.e. no keyboard, mouse). I guess you might be able to get a remote IR keyboard and get it to work, but it will not support things like booting from USB.

(06-Aug-2020, 12:46 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(06-Aug-2020, 12:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: How is this different from headless ssh etc ?
Difference is I can't install an OS via SSH. I can also get into the computer BIOS this way, but can't with SSH.

Granted with this device I have to write the ISO image to a USB stick, then insert the USB stick into the receiver unit and boot (This is a theory as I've yet to test this).

A server remote console has better features (ability to power computer on/off, ability to insert a ISO file as if it is a CD-ROM or a USB stick). But motherboards with this remote console is very expensive. So this poor man's version is good enough for me.
(06-Aug-2020, 12:31 PM)Bromf Wrote: Asking as I have an HDMI over IP multichannel controller and several receivers that I've never found a use for.. Think

Older version of this...

Almost! This unit you have don't have USB, so you can only see the screen, but don't have the ability to control it (i.e. no keyboard, mouse). I guess you might be able to get a remote IR keyboard and get it to work, but it will not support things like booting from USB.

Aha...I see your point.... (looks in box of odd things salvaged from everywhere) Got a couple of usb over cat5/6 extenders.... you have given me pause for thought...if I use the HDMI and USB extenders in tandem.... might give it a try this weekend.. Wink
Although there are so many projects on the go here...just arrived a couple of UPS and 4x4TB drives (enclosure was in stock on the day I ordered and paid but now won't arrive until late September Sad ]  Tomorrow an external USB sound-card should arrive and I will be busy ripping LP's. Cool

Add to that a lot of tree-felling (nasty Aussie Gums ;-) lol) with winches wire cables.. some fire-wooding, garden prep for spring etc etc. Not even finding time to put down some wine... pea-pod special or Beetroot surprise...though that may be a blessing according to the other half...;-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

Is there any way to send PCM bitperfect to my DAC, so it can change it's reclocking scheme based on the incoming bitrate?

(04-Sep-2020, 12:52 PM)claybomb Wrote: Is there any way to send PCM bitperfect to my DAC, so it can change it's reclocking scheme based on the incoming bitrate?

Current chain:
MConnect (Tidal) > upmpdcli (client) >Minimserver > SnakeoilOs > Schiit Yggdrasil

Looking to accomplish the equivalent of using exclusive mode on the tidal desktop app.