Request For Comments: Snakeoil OS 1.1.0 (Blind Testing)
Spent almost a whole day on Snakeoil coding today. Been such a long time since I can dedicate most of my day just doing coding. Don't know why, but coding really makes me happy. Especially when Angular is just so lovely to work with. HTML5 is really the future for Graphical User Interface. Everything else simply feels and look so primitive.

Now with a couple months of Angular experience under my belt, looking back at the code I did in 1.0.x. I'm embarrased to say, some parts are really bad.
[Image: vomiting.gif] [Image: vomiting.gif] [Image: vomiting.gif]

Guess this is my first Angular2 project, so granted I was a bit rough around the edges. But still, the code quality and style is very shocking. There is this file with only 93 lines of code, yet a process called linting churned out almost 1000 errors+. That's > 10 errors per line!!
[Image: what.gif]

Here's the outcome from today's work. While this looks similar to the current dashboard, there's a lot of magic happening behind the scenes. Click the image to get a bigger picture.
This is just a prototype for now. Over time this will get better.

[Image: dashboard.png]

Also. I'm not sure how many of you guys are reading this, or using Snakeoil OS. Right now I need to get 10,000 youtube views and 100  followers. If you want to help me out, please watch my boring videos and follow my channel. Need to get that numbers up to get a proper URL for my youtube channel. Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

[Image: pretty.gif]
Osashi Buri! Things are rather quiet on the Snakeoil front as I've been flat out at work dealing with two challenging projects. This has been going on for a year now, and after a lot of difficulities and challenges. 

In my previous job I had to deal with mathematics, statistical analysis and scientific rigor. I thought that was a challenging role. My current role is significantly harder and mentally more exhausting for some reason. Who would have thought A/V can be this complex? Huh I guess when you are dealing with implemention a system for an entire hospital, it's not really an easy job  after all. There are a lot of variables and risk to factor in and control.

Unfortunately I'm not doing the high paid 'planning' role, more the lower paid 'implemention' (aka the actual work!) and it's hard.  And I'm not working one 1 system, but 2!!! Perhaps I'm jinxing it, but I think for once I can finally see a glimpse of light. Hopefully will be able to cross these 2 projects off my list, and acheive what they call 'go-live'.

Hopefully I can dedicate more time to finish 1.1.0 (Blind Testing). I don't want this next release to be like it's namesake - everybody seems to talk about it, but nobody actually done it, and hence nothing really gets done. On hindsight, probably not the best codename to use!! 

To get this out quicker, over the next few days I will revise the featureset of BlindTesting and will defer some of the settings to 1.1.x or later.

My employer was closed for the Christmas break, and I used this time to work on Snakeoil OS. There are heaps of improvements under the hood. Overall the Web App is a lot faster compared to Golden Ears.

Here's a short summary of the progress so far:
  1. Migrated to ngx-admin framework. And now using Angular4 with bits of Angular5.
  2. Dynamic reload of themes and languages. This means the finial firmware file will be about 40% smaller since the introduction of themes.
  3. Added 2 more themes (Light, and Cosmic)
  4. A lot of effort is made on upgrading to 'Blind Testing', and downgrading back to 'Golden Ears'.
  5. Heaps of feature additions and bug fixes
A beta is not available yet, but please check out the new edition online: demo website.

For an idea of what's to come in Blind Testing, please refer to the RoadMap. Feel free to comment and all suggestions are welcome.

A small update over the weekend, using uhubctl to power on/off USB ports. Not all USB ports can be powered off, if that's the case this panel will just say somethinig like "No programmable USB hubs detected".

[Image: custom_usb.png]
Will this improve SQ? [Image: hehe.gif]At least it'd save power.

Been a long time between updates. Time really flies these days.
[Image: crying1.gif]

Here's a preview of what's to come for the next preview build: Language Editor. This is still a work in progress, but when the next alpha is released - anyone game to help translate SnakeoilOS to your native language?

[Image: Language_Editor.png]

In the older FWs you had a function where we could see the sample rate output. Can you bring that back please?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JD1's post:
  • agent_kith

Bumped your startpage and youtube link here.....http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/281898-usb-audio-player-pro-uapp-vs-moode-volumio-etc-post5354406.html
Smile
All the best.

Regards ,
Bob
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bromf's post:
  • agent_kith

(27-Feb-2018, 01:56 PM)Bromf Wrote: Bumped your startpage and youtube link here....
Thanks Thanks

Just an update on Squeezelite failing to start with Alpha FW:  The problem occurs ~90% of the time. No different if I start LMS 1st or disable DoP or remove all options. Error message has been the same as previously reported here except for one time I got the long script below that includes "=12ptError: command line argument error:", which was followed by a list of possible commands. Strange but all the text below is a direct copy of what was shown when I clicked on the error icon that time.
Code:
**** 2018-02-27T12:25:51
**** Squeezelite (ralph-irving-git)
Executable: cd /var/www;_NAME="USB Audio" _OUTPUT="hw:0,0" _FORMAT="dop" _OPTIONS="dsd_native_type "0"" _MIPV4="24:4f:4f:24:56:59" /var/www/players/Squeezelite-ralph-irving-git/init /var/www/players/Squeezelite-ralph-irving-git 2>&1;/var/www/players/Squeezelite-ralph-irving-git/start /var/www/players/Squeezelite-ralph-irving-git 2>&1
Error: command line argument error
Squeezelite v1.8.6-997, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith, 2015-2017 Ralph Irving. See -t for license terms
Usage: /var/www/players/Squeezelite-ralph-irving-git/squeezelite [options]
  -s <server>[:<port>]           Connect to specified server, otherwise uses autodiscovery to find server
  -o <output device> Specify output device, default "default", - = output to stdout
  -l                                List output devices
  -a <b>:<p>:<f>:<m>           Specify ALSA params to open output device, b = buffer time in ms or size in bytes, p = period count or size in bytes, f sample format (16|24|24_3|32), m = use mmap (0|1)
  -a <f>                        Specify sample format (16|24|32) of output file when using -o - to output samples to stdout (interleaved little endian only)
  -b <stream>:<output>       Specify internal Stream and Output buffer sizes in Kbytes
  -c <codec1>,<codec2>        Restrict codecs to those specified, otherwise load all available codecs; known codecs: flac,pcm,mp3,ogg,aac,dsd (mad,mpg for specific mp3 codec)
                                    Codecs reported to LMS in order listed, allowing codec priority refinement.
  -C <timeout>                       Close output device when idle after timeout seconds, default is to keep it open while player is 'on'
  -d <log>=<level>     Set logging level, logs: all|slimproto|stream|decode|output, level: info|debug|sdebug
  -e <codec1>,<codec2>        Explicitly exclude native support of one or more codecs; known codecs: flac,pcm,mp3,ogg,aac,dsd (mad,mpg for specific mp3 codec)
  -f <logfile>               Write debug to logfile
  -m <mac addr>                   Set mac address, format: ab:cd:ef:12:34:56
  -M <modelname>   Set the squeezelite player model name sent to the server (default: SqueezeLite)
  -n <name>               Set the player name
  -N <filename>                     Store player name in filename to allow server defined name changes to be shared between servers (not supported with -n)
  -W                             Read wave and aiff format from header, ignore server parameters
  -p <priority>                        Set real time priority of output thread (1-99)
  -P <filename>                      Store the process id (PID) in filename
  -r <rates>[:<delay>]           Sample rates supported, allows output to be off when squeezelite is started; rates = <maxrate>|<minrate>-<maxrate>|<rate1>,<rate2>,<rate3>; delay = optional delay switching rates in ms
  -R -u [params]         Resample, params = <recipe>:<flags>:<attenuation>:<precision>:<passband_end>:<stopband_start>:<phase_response>,
                                     recipe = (v|h|m|l|q)(L|I|M)(s) [E|X], E = exception - resample only if native rate not supported, X = async - resample to max rate for device, otherwise to max sync rate
                                     flags = num in hex,
                                     attenuation = attenuation in dB to apply (default is -1db if not explicitly set),
                                     precision = number of bits precision (NB. HQ = 20. VHQ = 28),
                                     passband_end = number in percent (0dB pt. bandwidth to preserve. nyquist = 100%),
                                     stopband_start = number in percent (Aliasing/imaging control. > passband_end),
                                     phase_response = 0-100 (0 = minimum / 50 = linear / 100 = maximum)
  -D [delay]                 Output device supports DSD over PCM (DoP), delay = optional delay switching between PCM and DoP in ms
  -O <mixer device>  Specify mixer device, defaults to 'output device'
  -L                               List volume controls for output device
  -U <control>                        Unmute ALSA control and set to full volume (not supported with -V)
  -V <control>             Use ALSA control for volume adjustment, otherwise use software volume adjustment
  -X                              Use linear volume adjustments instead of in terms of dB (only for hardware volume control)
  -z                               Daemonize
  -Z <rate>                  Report rate to server in helo as the maximum sample rate we can support
  -t                               License terms
  -?                               Display this help text
Build options: LINUX ALSA EVENTFD RESAMPLE DSD

(02-Mar-2018, 03:05 PM)JD1 Wrote: Just an update on Squeezelite failing to start with Alpha FW:  The problem occurs ~90% of the time. No different if I start LMS 1st or disable DoP or remove all options. Error message has been the same as previously reported here except for one time I got the long script below that includes "=12ptError: command line argument error:", which was followed by a list of possible commands. Strange but all the text below is a direct copy of what was shown when I clicked on the error icon that time.
Seems there is a typo:

The entry should read just one of the following:
Code:
[code]dsd_native_type "0"
dsd_native_type "2"
dsd_native_type "3"
[/code]

Can you take a screenshot of your MPD options for me?