[SOLVED] Request for UEFI boot
I want to renew a request for a 32-bit UEFI boot option.  There are a lot of nice little Bay Trail etc. mini-PCs out there that need this.  I have two small Azulle mini-PCs, including their new Access stick PC with ethernet and would love to hear Snakoil on them.
 Go to solution Reply

(05-Aug-2017, 11:45 AM)zackthedog Wrote: I want to renew a request for a 32-bit UEFI boot option.  There are a lot of nice little Bay Trail etc. mini-PCs out there that need this.  I have two small Azulle mini-PCs, including their new Access stick PC with ethernet and would love to hear Snakoil on them.
The only 32 bit EFI systems I'm aware of are old Macs. Most systems uses 64 bit EFI these days, with 64 biti CPUs. Could be wrong on this though but I'm assuming those systems you mention above are all 64 bit compatible? For those instances the 64 bit ISO should work (let me know if they don't).

However, there will be an issue if you want to install 32 bit Snakeoil OS. As the 32 bit ISO don't have UFI partition on it. Perhaps you can try this and let me know how it goes: link. The problem is finding a bootloader that works. And having no such hardware to test, I can't do anything from here.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(05-Aug-2017, 12:38 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(05-Aug-2017, 11:45 AM)zackthedog Wrote: I want to renew a request for a 32-bit UEFI boot option.  There are a lot of nice little Bay Trail etc. mini-PCs out there that need this.  I have two small Azulle mini-PCs, including their new Access stick PC with ethernet and would love to hear Snakoil on them.
The only 32 bit EFI systems I'm aware of are old Macs. Most systems uses 64 bit EFI these days, with 64 biti CPUs. Could be wrong on this though but I'm assuming those systems you mention above are all 64 bit compatible? For those instances the 64 bit ISO should work (let me know if they don't).

However, there will be an issue if you want to install 32 bit Snakeoil OS. As the 32 bit ISO don't have UFI partition on it. Perhaps you can try this and let me know how it goes: link. The problem is finding a bootloader that works. And having no such hardware to test, I can't do anything from here.  

No, that method won't work, but thank you.  These Bay Trail and Cherry Train devices are very popular in stick computers and such.  I don't know the ins and out of these boot systems, except that they use a 32-bit boot for a 64-bit system.  I can install the latest Debian, Ubuntu 16 and Daphile with no trouble.  Perhaps you could look at the bootable net install iso's for Debian 9 and see how they do it.  I don't mean to presume, but that's all I can offer!  I'm talking specifically about the Z8350 processor if that helps.  The BIOS settings are very limited--there's no legacy boot setting, for instance.

(08-Aug-2017, 02:12 PM)zackthedog Wrote: I can install the latest Debian, Ubuntu 16 and Daphile with no trouble.
64 bit of Ubuntu 16.x? Which edition specifically? I'd see if I can grab something off that ISO.

(08-Aug-2017, 03:50 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(08-Aug-2017, 02:12 PM)zackthedog Wrote: I can install the latest Debian, Ubuntu 16 and Daphile with no trouble.
64 bit of Ubuntu 16.x? Which edition specifically? I'd see if I can grab something off that ISO. 

I think 16.04 Xenial Xerus LTS works, I can check tonight.

(09-Aug-2017, 05:55 AM)zackthedog Wrote: I think 16.04 Xenial Xerus LTS works, I can check tonight.
Cool. I'd be a bit busy tonight so will do what I get tomorrow or later this weekend. Once we have the right loaders and binary it should be straight forward to get it to work. First thing you can try is to copy out the EFI/ files and copy that to your USB stick, and then boot from it and see how it goes.

It's hard for me to do this without the hardware, so hopefully can have your patience on this matter.

(09-Aug-2017, 07:40 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 05:55 AM)zackthedog Wrote: I think 16.04 Xenial Xerus LTS works, I can check tonight.
Cool. I'd be a bit busy tonight so will do what I get tomorrow or later this weekend. Once we have the right loaders and binary it should be straight forward to get it to work. First thing you can try is to copy out the EFI/ files and copy that to your USB stick, and then boot from it and see how it goes.

It's hard for me to do this without the hardware, so hopefully can have your patience on this matter. 

I'll try it.  I greatly appreciate your effort!

(09-Aug-2017, 09:32 AM)zackthedog Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 07:40 AM)agent_kith Wrote:

I'll try it.  I greatly appreciate your effort! 

Now I can get to the opening menu but the Snakeoil Gui doesn't load when selected.

(09-Aug-2017, 01:48 PM)zackthedog Wrote: Now I can get to the opening menu but the Snakeoil Gui doesn't load when selected.
Try using VNC and connect to "snakeoil.local:1", did that work?

(09-Aug-2017, 02:15 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 01:48 PM)zackthedog Wrote: Now I can get to the opening menu but the Snakeoil Gui doesn't load when selected.
Try using VNC and connect to "snakeoil.local:1", did that work?  

I'll try that.  I also didn't try booting to the Live CD selection, so I'll try that too. :-)  Appreciate your help with this!
[-] The following 1 user Likes zackthedog's post:
  • agent_kith