[SOLVED] Run Snakeoil from usb stick on mac... Anyone succeeded?
(17-Apr-2017, 10:15 PM)NoDisc Wrote: Here is the results. 
[Image: admire.gif] [Image: cheer2.gif]
The good news is the ISO actually worked. Did the installer screen pop up? If yes, then installation should work as per usual.

I would recommend that you remove/disconnect the existing 1 TB HDD/SSD and put in another medium for this installation so you don't risk your existing OS + data.

Unless you already know your way around the Ubiquity partition manager). There already is a write up on this topic, but it may be incomplete or not written well (heard posts on the Internet people still managed to wipe out their existing OS). 

What audio device are you using? Are you going to connect it to one of the thunderbolt ports? Or are you going to use the Intel HDA? If the former, that probably isn't working. I'd see if I can spin up a new kernel in the next few days for you to test.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(18-Apr-2017, 08:03 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(17-Apr-2017, 10:15 PM)NoDisc Wrote: Here is the results. 
[Image: admire.gif] [Image: cheer2.gif]
The good news is the ISO actually worked. Did the installer screen pop up? If yes, then installation should work as per usual.

I would recommend that you remove/disconnect the existing 1 TB HDD/SSD and put in another medium for this installation so you don't risk your existing OS + data.

Unless you already know your way around the Ubiquity partition manager). There already is a write up on this topic, but it may be incomplete or not written well (heard posts on the Internet people still managed to wipe out their existing OS). 

What audio device are you using? Are you going to connect it to one of the thunderbolt ports? Or are you going to use the Intel HDA? If the former, that probably isn't working. I'd see if I can spin up a new kernel in the next few days for you to test.

I will be taking out the existing HDD and replacing it with a blank SSD.  The DAC is Chord Mojo USB.  I don't plan to do anything with the Thunderbolt for audio.  I use it for my Thunderbolt raid for most of my critical data.

(18-Apr-2017, 11:59 AM)NoDisc Wrote: I will be taking out the existing HDD and replacing it with a blank SSD.  The DAC is Chord Mojo USB.  I don't plan to do anything with the Thunderbolt for audio.  I use it for my Thunderbolt raid for most of my critical data.
Before install, connect your Mojo and run the following to check if everything is working (or check in the hardware tab of the Snakeoil web-app)
Code:
lsusb
If you see your audio device, then everything is good to go.

Certain things like the SD card reader, or the wifi card may or may not work. But if you want them working can always install a new kernel post install.

One final question if I may - is your Mac MINI booting on UEFI, or in BIOS?. If in BIOS can you try boot in UEFI only mode and report back? Thanks.

(18-Apr-2017, 01:12 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(18-Apr-2017, 11:59 AM)NoDisc Wrote: I will be taking out the existing HDD and replacing it with a blank SSD.  The DAC is Chord Mojo USB.  I don't plan to do anything with the Thunderbolt for audio.  I use it for my Thunderbolt raid for most of my critical data.
Before install, connect your Mojo and run the following to check if everything is working (or check in the hardware tab of the Snakeoil web-app)
Code:
lsusb

Certain things like the SD card reader, or the wifi card may or may not work. But if you want them working can always install a new kernel post install.

One final question if I may - is your Mac MINI booting on UEFI, or in BIOS?. If in BIOS can you try boot in UEFI only mode and report back? Thanks.

Not sure about the UEFI question, there is a thread on using Ubuntu on Mac Mini's, perhaps this has been covered. 

See here"

http://www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi/

I will check the Mojo and report back.   The SD card reader would be good to have, as I was considering to have music media there.  Many have reported that having music on a seperate media than the OS provides improved sound.  That is how I am running now using Windows 2016 Server, and JPLAY, and Asset Server.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoDisc's post:
  • agent_kith

(18-Apr-2017, 01:12 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
Code:
lsusb

I don't know if this qualifies as seeing it.

[Image: JQdGfH.jpg]

(18-Apr-2017, 02:24 PM)NoDisc Wrote: I don't know if this qualifies as seeing it.
Think Can you post the results of this command:
Code:
sudo aplay -l

(18-Apr-2017, 02:42 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(18-Apr-2017, 02:24 PM)NoDisc Wrote: I don't know if this qualifies as seeing it.
Think Can you post the results of this command:
Code:
sudo aplay -l

Here you go...

[Image: nQLwQ4.jpg]

(18-Apr-2017, 03:03 PM)NoDisc Wrote: Here you go...

Excellent.

That ticks all the boxes. Your Mojo will be card 1, device 0. So you can add that as your ALSA device, and away you go.
What model of Mac mini is this? I've looked up the specs on apple.com but don't see any models with a Xeon processor?

(18-Apr-2017, 04:04 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(18-Apr-2017, 03:03 PM)NoDisc Wrote: Here you go...

Excellent.

That ticks all the boxes. Your Mojo will be card 1, device 0. So you can add that as your ALSA device, and away you go.
What model of Mac mini is this? I've looked up the specs on apple.com but don't see any models with a Xeon processor?

This one.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ma...specs.html

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP659?locale=en_US

(18-Apr-2017, 04:07 PM)NoDisc Wrote: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ma...specs.html

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP659?locale=en_US
Probably not a xeon then. to confirm, run 
Code:
lscpu
Still, it seems like a fairly decent computer. Will be interesting to see how your mac mini goes (esp when you wanna do RT DSP). Have you done the UpTone mini power mod to this machine yet, or is this still running off the stock SMPS?