[SOLVED] 128GB NTFS USB drive causes boot to fail
The Thinclient HP t520 has 8GB drive, serving for boot and swap.
Music is on the 128GB USB drive.
Hence I really need to get this USB 3.0 to work. 
Every time I booted up with USB I had a fail, it did not even reach post until I removed the USB drive.
T520 screen :  Invalid Partition Table

SnakeoilOS loads the drive when I plug it in, and LMS can load sdb1 into the /media/music folder. I can then play music from the USB.

What I have done to try to make music happen-

I formatted USB in Windows 10 disk manager, created a partition, made it active, NTFS. 

I followed the walk through on this site to mount it to fstab.

# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=205e2f3e-1ead-4b1f-a0bf-469a0b1ae3fd /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=922a946d-c6f7-4c31-81a0-e765f84ed2b4 none            swap    sw              0       0

UUID=40BC1DE9BC1DD9EC /media/music/sdb  ntfs defaults 0 0

I closed down LMS, rebooted snakeoil via webserver. 

This time, there was a difference - No POST but the screen I hooked up to t520 said:
There is no drive with an operating system. Please remove all drives without an operating system 
Press Ctl-Alt-Del

When I followed this it loaded Ubuntu and waited at the point where 40BC1DE9BC1DD9EC  was being looked for - I had time to insert it and the OS continued to load. This isn't a viable procedure as I turn off the t520 every night. 

The drive appears to work in Windows, and in NTFS it works in Snakeoil until reboot. 

Any ideas on what to try next?

Should the mount point be sdb1?

Edit - I just checked the USB drive is corrupted since I shut down so no good. Probably occurred when the system was seeking it

Edit 2 - I reformatted the USB drive - and when I rebooted snakeoil failed to complete boot even when I reinserted the USB. 
It had been given a new UUID on reformat. I had to reinstall Snakeoil.

patricia@t520:~$ lsblk -o name,mountpoint,label,size,uuid,fstype
NAME   MOUNTPOINT     LABEL     SIZE UUID                                 FSTYPE
sda                             7.5G
├─sda1 /                          4G df5ece52-ff93-4dfa-848a-a1bf447d282c ext4
├─sda2                            1K
└─sda5 [SWAP]                   3.4G 922a946d-c6f7-4c31-81a0-e765f84ed2b4 swap
sdb                             125G
└─sdb1 /media/music/s USBCross  125G 4404F03404F02A96                     ntfs

I am using another usb drive now, and getting interference, crackling and noise so loud I have to quickly turn off my audio to protect my ears and speakers.
On the Snakeoil tab it says SYSTEM.USER_NOT_FOUND
I am at a loss , no one else has these problems?
 Go to solution Reply

Ah, I see now what you want to happen....Snakeoil is installed and running on the HP t-520 and your music files are on a usb drive/flashdrive.
When you try to boot with the drive attached then the boot process hangs.
When you plug the drive in after boot all is well.

I think you will find that the boot flag is set on the drive.... when the HP t-520 boots it scans attached media for bootable O/S.

If you're a Linux user then GParted can clear the boot flag.
Don't know if GParted is available for other O/S but there is a downloadable live GParted.

Also, and if the above does not work, you might want to turn off in the t-520 bios the boot option for other/legacy  media.

Edit... hp t-520 bios settings (F10 as it boots)...... 1st boot device default is USB..... Change that to ATA Flash and Snakeoil will boot first.
Set 2nd boot device to USB (or disabled )
Save and you should be good. Smile

(24-Sep-2019, 03:19 AM)Bromf Wrote: Edit... hp t-520 bios settings (F10 as it boots)...... 1st boot device default is USB..... Change that to ATA Flash and Snakeoil will boot first.
Set 2nd boot device to USB (or disabled )
Save and you should be good. Smile
This should work.

The alternative is to create a writable EXT4 partition called "persistent", and the install liveCD should turn from a read only OS to a read/write live system. Problem with this is the GUI still boots up. So might need to tweak the scripts a little to make sure the sound quality don't suffer. <- This is in my TODO list. Hopefully I can get to work on this in time.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

I used diskpart in Windows disk management tools. Clean seems to have removed the flag, though unless I create a gparted liveCD I cant confirm this. 
I put ATA drive at the top of the Boot order in legacy; UEFI Boot sources don't include any ATA drives, just USB CDROM; Enabled QuickStart

I have restarted Snakeoil and the USB hasn't prevented boot. So far its looking good. 

That comment Agent Kith about persistent LiveCD  - I don't have the ability to set up any OS with USB, it has to be CDROM.
[-] The following 2 users Like patricia1066's post:
  • agent_kith, Bromf