[SOLVED] CPUset not working in Ubuntu 22.04
Back to playing with kernels and each time I change kernels in SO, I have to do the above fix.  Suggest making the fix part of standard SO.

This is a thread I hadn't seen. 

I've come up against cpuset not working in 22.04 when testing SO 1.3 (details over in those threads). Should I be trying the above? Should everyone, ultimately, be trying the above (oh, no!)?

(11-Dec-2023, 03:16 PM)uglymusic Wrote: This is a thread I hadn't seen. 

I've come up against cpuset not working in 22.04 when testing SO 1.3 (details over in those threads). Should I be trying the above? Should everyone, ultimately, be trying the above (oh, no!)?

CPUset is definitely worth trying.

(11-Dec-2023, 05:48 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-Dec-2023, 03:16 PM)uglymusic Wrote: This is a thread I hadn't seen. 

CPUset is definitely worth trying.

I've had it working on Raspberry Pi OS and SO 1.2.x but struggled to convince myself there was any benefit  Sad  . Maybe on Ubuntu...? I'll add it to my list.
[-] The following 1 user Likes uglymusic's post:
  • Snoopy8

(11-Dec-2023, 08:45 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I've had it working on Raspberry Pi OS and SO 1.2.x but struggled to convince myself there was any benefit  Sad  . Maybe on Ubuntu...? I'll add it to my list.
Please have a read of this
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Configu...oil#cpuset

Some people have reported a SQ improvement by enabling cpusets but for others, it made no difference. The intent here is to isolate the music processes from system processes. I took it further.
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...-processes
However, I have returned to the simple SO way because something wrong when I recently changed hardware to an Intel NUC Element and Ubuntu versions.

I have found that Cpuset is particularly useful when there is a Real Time (RT) kernel in use. The combination of cpusets and RT kernel has given a maximum latency (measured using Cyclictest) of around 10 milliseconds, spread evenly across 4 CPUs. The result is better SQ. My challenge is to apply what I have done with Ubuntu on the NUC to Ubuntu on a Pi. I suspect using Raspian is too far a leap?

Note that I am probably the craziest SO user here, even building my own RT kernel!!  LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • uglymusic

(12-Dec-2023, 12:06 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(11-Dec-2023, 08:45 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I've had it working on Raspberry Pi OS and SO 1.2.x but struggled to convince myself there was any benefit  Sad  . Maybe on Ubuntu...? I'll add it to my list.
Please have a read of this
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/wiki/Configu...oil#cpuset

Some people have reported a SQ improvement by enabling cpusets but for others, it made no difference. The intent here is to isolate the music processes from system processes. I took it further.
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Threa...-processes
However, I have returned to the simple SO way because something wrong when I recently changed hardware to an Intel NUC Element and Ubuntu versions.

I have found that Cpuset is particularly useful when there is a Real Time (RT) kernel in use. The combination of cpusets and RT kernel has given a maximum latency (measured using Cyclictest) of around 10 milliseconds, spread evenly across 4 CPUs. The result is better SQ. My challenge is to apply what I have done with Ubuntu on the NUC to Ubuntu on a Pi. I suspect using Raspian is too far a leap?

Note that I am probably the craziest SO user here, even building my own RT kernel!!  LOL

I feel a deep, deep hole opening up  [Image: depressed2.gif]

Can you apply what you've learned to the RPi 5 while you're at it?  LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes uglymusic's post:
  • Snoopy8

(12-Dec-2023, 03:26 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I feel a deep, deep hole opening up  [Image: depressed2.gif]

Welcome to my asylum which doubles as my rabbit warren! Smile.  Never put together a Pi, so maybe I should start with the Pi 5 ???   Tongue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • uglymusic

(12-Dec-2023, 04:50 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(12-Dec-2023, 03:26 PM)uglymusic Wrote: I feel a deep, deep hole opening up  [Image: depressed2.gif]

Welcome to my asylum which doubles as my rabbit warren! Smile.  Never put together a Pi, so maybe I should start with the Pi 5 ???   Tongue.

Start with an RPi 4. There are still too many issues with getting things working on the 5. It's still too new.

Seriously, how do I start learning about the kernel in the context of SO and audio?