[SOLVED] Can't connect via VNC or install JRiver
Hi

I have looking for an Ubuntu, or Debian, based audiophile OS for some time now, the ones that I have found was mostly Arc based or to old and since I want to use JRiver as music player I believe that a Ubuntu, or Debian, based is the safest choice.

Then I found this very interesting Ubuntu based OS, cool name by the way :-)

I installed Snakeoil ISO 1.1.0 on an old NUC5PPYH (CPU = Pentium N3700, LAN = Realtek 8111HN).
The VNC interface worked fine during installation.
But when it re-started after installation I can’t get access, I will need a graphical interface to configure JRiver, I tried with largos:1 (and largos::1, largos:2 etc) as described in the manual but it wont connect, I get an error that say “Error in TightVNC Viewer: The requested name is valid but data for the requested type could not be found”

The web interface, SSH, and shared folders works all fine.

I have installed the 1.1.6 FW but no change.

I also tried to install Jriver by dropping the deb file in the Install/Upgrade box, but I get a error that say “Error Uploaded file has an invalid extension: MediaCenter-24.0.78-amd64.deb”

Can someone please advice how to solve these problems.

Best regards
Robert
 Go to solution Reply

(20-Jul-2019, 11:58 PM)Primare11 Wrote: Hi

I have looking for an Ubuntu, or Debian, based audiophile OS for some time now, the ones that I have found was mostly Arc based or to old and since I want to use JRiver as music player I believe that a Ubuntu, or Debian, based is the safest choice.

I installed Snakeoil ISO 1.1.0 on an old NUC5PPYH (CPU = Pentium N3700, LAN = Realtek 8111HN).
But when it re-started after installation I can’t get access, I will need a graphical interface to configure JRiver, I tried with largos:1 (and largos::1, largos:2 etc) as described in the manual but it wont connect, I get an error that say “Error in TightVNC Viewer: The requested name is valid but data for the requested type could not be found”

I also tried to install Jriver by dropping the deb file in the Install/Upgrade box, but I get a error that say “Error Uploaded file has an invalid extension: MediaCenter-24.0.78-amd64.deb”

Best regards
Robert
VNC will only startup when you select a player that requires GUI. Any players with a screen monitor icon next to it will load VNC on startup.

First  step is to install JRiver. I'm not sure why the install wouldn't work for you, but a trick is to do this:
  1. Copy the deb file into the music folder. If you're using 32 bit edition of Snakeoil make sure you're using the i386 file, and not the amd64.
  2. SSH into the snakeoil PC
  3. run this command: sudo dpkg -i /media/music/your_jriver_install.deb
Now go back to the Snakeoil WebApp, and reload the players section. You should see JRiver in there. Now select this player, and click "(Re)start players". VNC will work then, and you'll see a JRiver GUI in there for you to configure and setup.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(21-Jul-2019, 11:28 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(20-Jul-2019, 11:58 PM)Primare11 Wrote: Hi

Best regards
Robert
VNC will only startup when you select a player that requires GUI. Any players with a screen monitor icon next to it will load VNC on startup.

First  step is to install JRiver. I'm not sure why the install wouldn't work for you, but a trick is to do this:
  1. Copy the deb file into the music folder. If you're using 32 bit edition of Snakeoil make sure you're using the i386 file, and not the amd64.
  2. SSH into the snakeoil PC
  3. run this command: sudo dpkg -i /media/music/your_jriver_install.deb
Now go back to the Snakeoil WebApp, and reload the players section. You should see JRiver in there. Now select this player, and click "(Re)start players". VNC will work then, and you'll see a JRiver GUI in there for you to configure and setup.

Hi Kith

Thanks for the feedback, I have now successfully installed JRiver.
VNC does also work if I use the IP-nr:1 (largos:1 does not work) and the password Password1.

I can now play music from Jriver to my headphone DAC, Pre Box S2 Digital (a very competent small DAC), I have tested up to DSD128 files and everything works great.

Thanks you very much for the help.  Smile
Keep this great job up  Thumbs Up

(22-Jul-2019, 01:03 AM)Primare11 Wrote: VNC does also work if I use the IP-nr:1 (largos:1 does not work) and the password Password1.
Whether "largos" works depends very much on your DNS/DHCP setup. Your DHCP server has to tell the DNS server that this IP has this domain name, and update the DNS with the new IP everytime it changes. Unfortunately most homes are not setup to work this way (unlike a office/enterprise environment), e.g. most home routers don't have a DNS built in.

However, there is another system called Bonjour or Avahi that will work around this - try the name "largos.local" instead and see if it works.

(22-Jul-2019, 01:03 AM)Primare11 Wrote: I can now play music from Jriver to my headphone DAC, Pre Box S2 Digital (a very competent small DAC), I have tested up to DSD128 files and everything works great.

Noice. Happy listening. Smile Do try other players as well and compare then against JRiver. Common sense you will tell you all music players sound the same, your other senses might just beg to differ Confused Huh .

(22-Jul-2019, 09:55 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(22-Jul-2019, 01:03 AM)Primare11 Wrote: VNC does also work if I use the IP-nr:1 (largos:1 does not work) and the password Password1.
Whether "largos" works depends very much on your DNS/DHCP setup. Your DHCP server has to tell the DNS server that this IP has this domain name, and update the DNS with the new IP everytime it changes. Unfortunately most homes are not setup to work this way (unlike a office/enterprise environment), e.g. most home routers don't have a DNS built in.

However, there is another system called Bonjour or Avahi that will work around this - try the name "largos.local" instead and see if it works.
(22-Jul-2019, 01:03 AM)Primare11 Wrote: I can now play music from Jriver to my headphone DAC, Pre Box S2 Digital (a very competent small DAC), I have tested up to DSD128 files and everything works great.

Noice. Happy listening. Smile Do try other players as well and compare then against JRiver. Common sense you will tell you all music players sound the same, your other senses might just beg to differ Confused Huh .

Sure I am open for new players, if the fulfill my "minimum demands":
  • Handle a large library, in my case: 4 TB / 7200 albums / 96000 songs.
  • Play Flac (16/44 to 24/352) and DSD (DSD64 and DSD128 (via Dop).
  • Control from an android tablet.
  • Configure my own views e.g. DSD, >44.1 kHz, artist/album/year sort etc.
Do you have any suggestions that may have a better SQ than JRiver. I know that it is very subjective what every listener experience as the best SQ.

(23-Jul-2019, 12:31 AM)Primare11 Wrote: Sure I am open for new players, if the fulfill my "minimum demands":
  • Handle a large library, in my case: 4 TB / 7200 albums / 96000 songs.
  • Play Flac (16/44 to 24/352) and DSD (DSD64 and DSD128 (via Dop).
  • Control from an android tablet.
  • Configure my own views e.g. DSD, >44.1 kHz, artist/album/year sort etc.
MPD or LMS+Squeezelite will suit this.

You can use a remote control app. But you can also use the build in web interface. On android, just load the default browser, go to the app remote web page, and then share that to the main screen. Doing this will load the webpage in full screen that behaves and function like an app.

(23-Jul-2019, 12:31 AM)Primare11 Wrote: Do you have any suggestions that may have a better SQ than JRiver. I know that it is very subjective what every listener experience as the best SQ.
Look for something that balances between your workflow+ease of listening. At the end of the day, the player you choose must bring you into the music. If you're more into classical music, absolute pin point precision, MPD will be the ideal choice. Which version of MPD to choose will depend on your system setup. In the future I will update the resources section and include all versions of MPD for you to pick and choose (and not lose these players on a firmware update).

LMS+Squeezelite is not as precise, but for me this means I'm not "on edge". The end result is I'm able to relax more, and that makes it easier to get into the music. This is the ideal player when you're listening to modern pop songs, where dynamic compression is prevalent. This combo is more forgiving.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr