[SOLVED] Cannot install Snakeoil on UEFI-only NUC
(11-Aug-2020, 08:23 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Hmm.

After you have chroot to /target. Try and run this:
Code:
mount udev -t devtmpfs /dev

Make sure your snakeoil partition is at / before you run the above command, and also grub-install.

Still waiting for my network card to get here.. Once it's here it will be easier for me to work out EFI issues. Having said that, all my computers have CSM so I'm not too hopeful.. At least then I can properly start work on getting the new ISO out. Hopefully the latest Ubuntu will have better EFI support. It's been almost 3 months I think.. Almost takes a season for my network card to get here, and I'm not even sure if it's a legit NIC or not. Sad

Hi agent_kith,

The commands were executed successfully and a new grub config file was generated. However, the same error message displayed when the newly installed Snakeoil system boots up:

error: kernel doesn't support EFI handover.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
alloc magic is broken at....

Looks like there is a known bug in grub2:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1868352

If a kernel can be built with the flag CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y, I would be happy to test it on my machine. Many thanks.

SK

(11-Aug-2020, 08:15 PM)scskam Wrote: If a kernel can be built with the flag CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y, I would be happy to test it on my machine. Many thanks.
You're the closest person so far I can find to assist me on EFI. Smile I'll try to see if I can get a install kernel built with that config. Don't think I can do this today, but hopefully I can find some time to do so tomorrow, if not this Saturday.

Will let u know.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(12-Aug-2020, 10:31 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(11-Aug-2020, 08:15 PM)scskam Wrote: If a kernel can be built with the flag CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y, I would be happy to test it on my machine. Many thanks.
You're the closest person so far I can find to assist me on EFI. Smile I'll try to see if I can get a install kernel built with that config. Don't think I can do this today, but hopefully I can find some time to do so tomorrow, if not this Saturday.

Will let u know.

No problem at all. Thanks agent_kith.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scskam's post:
  • agent_kith

Hi,
Can you go to this thread and download the UEFI install kernel. Update your ISO with this new kernel and let me know how it goes.

(15-Aug-2020, 08:29 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Hi,
Can you go to this thread and download the UEFI install kernel. Update your ISO with this new kernel and let me know how it goes.
Hi agent-kith,

Thanks for generating the new kernel.

Just tried, still not successful. Replaced the kernel in the USB and it could boot up like before. After installation and when I booted from SSD, the screen was blank after choosing ubuntu from Grub, with no messages displayed. When I selected the recovery or upstart entry, the following 2 messages displayed and then stopped:

Loading Linux 4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-uefi-x64 . . .
Loading initial ramdisk . . .

Tried using boot repair disk to fix it, not successful. Please let me know if you need any further information. Thanks.

SK

(15-Aug-2020, 04:54 PM)scskam Wrote: Hi agent-kith,

Just tried, still not successful. Replaced the kernel in the USB and it could boot up like before. After installation and when I booted from SSD, the screen was blank after choosing ubuntu from Grub, with no messages displayed. When I selected the recovery or upstart entry, the following 2 messages displayed and then stopped:

Tried using boot repair disk to fix it, not successful. Please let me know if you need any further information. Thanks.

SK
Hi SK,

Are you able to find the IP of the computer from your router (or DHCP server) and see if you can ping the computer? Or try and ping 'snakeoil.local' and see if you get a response.

When I install Snakeoil on my EFI computer, for some reason the console is blanked out, but the system is actually usuable. See if you can access the Web app.

Could never figure out why the screen is blank. It's in my TODO list, but since no console is actually better (TTY has very high latency because it needs to sync to the monitor), I never really dig too much into it to fix it.

(16-Aug-2020, 09:41 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(15-Aug-2020, 04:54 PM)scskam Wrote: Hi agent-kith,

SK
Hi SK,

Are you able to find the IP of the computer from your router (or DHCP server) and see if you can ping the computer? Or try and ping 'snakeoil.local' and see if you get a response.

When I install Snakeoil on my EFI computer, for some reason the console is blanked out, but the system is actually usuable. See if you can access the Web app.

Could never figure out why the screen is blank. It's in my TODO list, but since no console is actually better (TTY has very high latency because it needs to sync to the monitor), I never really dig too much into it to fix it.

agent-kith,

You are right - my computer is actually working. Using a browser to access the IP address shows me the much anticipated SnakeoilOS page. When the screen was blank I thought it hanged up but in fact it was working quietly :-). Thank you very much for your help!

SK
[-] The following 1 user Likes scskam's post:
  • agent_kith