[SOLVED] HQPlayer cannot find NAA on Snakeoil machine
NAA was selected as the player in the software tab ever since the NAA completed installation.

Today I re-installed Snakeoil 0.1.5, activated, updated to the latest firmware, changed the kernel to x64-ipv6, then finally installed HQPlayer NAA again.  I'm getting the same issue where "Running: ERROR" appears under Player Status for NAA.  I did the same workaround: SSH into the system with my user account, and did a "sudo networkaudiod start".  This changes the Player Status to "Running: ok (pid:xxxx)", and HQPlayer can see my USB endpoint and play normally.

Thanks for any help to address this.  There's no hurry since the above workaround is effective, and I'm already enjoying the sound.

(21-Feb-2017, 12:35 PM)scan80269 Wrote: NAA was selected as the player in the software tab ever since the NAA completed installation.

Today I re-installed Snakeoil 0.1.5, activated, updated to the latest firmware, changed the kernel to x64-ipv6, then finally installed HQPlayer NAA again.  I'm getting the same issue where "Running: ERROR" appears under Player Status for NAA.  I did the same workaround: SSH into the system with my user account, and did a "sudo networkaudiod start".  This changes the Player Status to "Running: ok (pid:xxxx)", and HQPlayer can see my USB endpoint and play normally.

Thanks for any help to address this.  There's no hurry since the above workaround is effective, and I'm already enjoying the sound.
I've created an issue to track this (link), more so that I wouldn't forget about this Blush. Hopefully will let you guys know what I find later this week.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Thanks, Agent Kith!

One more data point: with the standard x64 kernel, "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod start" works, but "sudo networkaudiod start" does not.  After changing to x64-ipv6 kernel, "sudo networkaudiod start" works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scan80269's post:
  • agent_kith

(22-Feb-2017, 03:03 PM)scan80269 Wrote: Thanks, Agent Kith!

One more data point: with the standard x64 kernel, "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod start" works, but "sudo networkaudiod start" does not.  After changing to x64-ipv6 kernel, "sudo networkaudiod start" works.
Since you have everything installed and running, can you try this and see if it works?

Code:
sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart

Note the use of restart, and not start. Does that work? If not, try start and see if they work? If yes, I'd spin off a new firmware release with this update, which should alleviate the need for ipv6 kernel.

Since my box is currently running the x64-ipv6 kernel, I just tried "sudo /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart" and it works!  Refreshing the Software tab of the Snakeoil webpage changes the Player Status for HQPlayer Network Audio Adapter from "Running: ERROR" to "Running: ok (PID:xxxx)".  Smile

I'm pretty sure "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart" would also work with the standard x64 kernel.

Cheers!

I just tried "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart" on another machine running standard x64 kernel, but HQPlayer failed to see the NAA.  Player Status was briefly OK but reverted to ERROR in about a minute.  I ran this command again but got the same result: HQPlayer could not play to the NAA.

I then tried "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod restart" and it worked.

Hope this helps!

(22-Feb-2017, 09:49 PM)scan80269 Wrote: Since my box is currently running the x64-ipv6 kernel, I just tried "sudo /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart" and it works!  Refreshing the Software tab of the Snakeoil webpage changes the Player Status for HQPlayer Network Audio Adapter from "Running: ERROR" to "Running: ok (PID:xxxx)".  Smile

I'm pretty sure "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart" would also work with the standard x64 kernel.

Cheers!

I just tried "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 /usr/sbin/service networkaudiod restart" on another machine running standard x64 kernel, but HQPlayer failed to see the NAA.  Player Status was briefly OK but reverted to ERROR in about a minute.  I ran this command again but got the same result: HQPlayer could not play to the NAA.

I then tried "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod restart" and it worked.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. That's very helpful.. Thumbs Up

Looks like I have to export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6 instead of embedding it in the command line now. Not entirely sure why the second method don't work now as it did before.  Think

Will play more around NAA later this weekend.

Firmware 0.1.5b now exports the variable, hopefully this should work without a IPV6 enabled kernel in the future Thumbs Up

Hi Agent Kith,

I just installed firmware 0.1.5b, but still encountering the same ERROR status of networkaudiod after bootup.  I also tried switching between x86-64 and x64-ipv6 kernels with the same results.  I'm not sure, but it looks to me there may be some strange execution permission issue with networkaudiod going on.  Is there a Linux command to check the running status of networkaudiod (via SSH)?

The NAA I've been using is networkaudiod_3.4.0-29_amd64.deb, under "Trusty" on Signalyst's site.

Thanks!

Hi Agent Kith,

I just installed firmware 0.1.5b, but still encountering the same ERROR status of networkaudiod after bootup.  I also tried switching between x86-64 and x64-ipv6 kernels with the same results.  I'm not sure, but it looks to me there may be some strange execution permission issue with networkaudiod going on.  Is there a Linux command to check the running status of networkaudiod (via SSH)?
[/quote]
The software tab already provide that information, if you see a PID with a XXX number, that indicates NAA is running.
alternatively, you can SSH in and run:
Code:
ps aux |grep <program_name>

Where <program_name> is the process name of NAA (I can't remember this off the top of my head right now Big Grin)
(28-Feb-2017, 12:27 AM)scan80269 Wrote: The NAA I've been using is networkaudiod_3.4.0-29_amd64.deb, under "Trusty" on Signalyst's site.

Thanks!
Can you do me a favour? Edit the file /var/www/cgi/init by running this command:
Code:
sudo nano /var/www/cgi/init

Add the following line to the file:
Quote:export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0
Save the file and reboot the computer. Does it work now with the stock kernel?

I added the export line to /var/www/cgi/init and rebooted, but there was no change: webpage Player Status still shows ERROR.  I believe the NAA process name is simply "networkaudiod".  I did "ps aux | grep networkaudiod" but no networkaudiod process showed up.  I did "sudo NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod restart", opened another SSH window and this time the "ps aux | grep networkaudiod" showed a running thread, and the webpage Player Status changes to ok with the same PID as with "ps aux | grep networkaudiod".  I did all this with the standard x64 kernel only.  Thanks.