[SOLVED] I thought this was a free player! Or at least free to try...
Hi all,

I became interested in trying this music player after getting frustrated with Volumio.
I've managed to download and install the snakeoil onto to my NUC, but when I try to create a mount point for my Ethernet connected synology NAS it says "You need to activate this software to add more than one mount". It already has a mounted partition /dev/sda1/ in the Music Library - Mounted Partitions section. This is the ssd fitted in my NUC which the snakeoil is installed to, so i assume this has to be there.
But how can I try out the software? all my music is stored on my NAS.

Am I missing somthing here? - I'm afraid I dont have much experience in the digital music arena so please forgive any glareing mistakes or ommissions on my part.

Hoping you can help
Roy.

(06-Jan-2019, 12:12 AM)Royville Wrote: Hi all,

So sorry, Please disregard all the above, I've managed to sort it all out now - and (I have to say) it was all my fault.
I just needed to be patient, read and think!

I'm listening to music now and I must say finding it very plesent.
Kindest regards to you all
Roy.
 Go to solution Reply

I became interested in trying this music player after getting frustrated with Volumio.
I've managed to download and install the snakeoil onto to my NUC, but when I try to create a mount point for my Ethernet connected synology NAS it says "You need to activate this software to add more than one mount". It already has a mounted partition /dev/sda1/ in the Music Library - Mounted Partitions section. This is the ssd fitted in my NUC which the snakeoil is installed to, so i assume this has to be there.

Am I missing somthing here? - I'm afraid I dont have much experience in the digital music arena so please forgive any glareing mistakes or ommissions on my part.

Hoping you can help
Roy.

So sorry, Please disregard all the above, I've managed to sort it all out now - and (I have to say) it was all my fault.

Roy.

Smile  great you made it happen !  Happy new year and have fun listening to one of the most wonderful players out there...
any and all questions we will try to help with... Cool

(06-Jan-2019, 12:39 PM)Bromf Wrote:

Hoping you can help
Roy.

Roy.

Smile  great you made it happen !  Happy new year and have fun listening to one of the most wonderful players out there...
any and all questions we will try to help with... Cool 

Hey thanks Bromf, - Happy New year to you too. Smile

Snakeoil is free and will always be free. Some options hidden behind activation are really beta features (implemented but generally untested). The idea of doing things this way is:
  1. Reduce support time as only a small subset of people will get access to these features
  2. I'm hoping somebody will do a Snakeoil password generator and release it into the dark web.
The registration scheme is actually pretty straight forward so anybody with assembly knowledge can easily reverse engineer the REST code to work out it.

Anyway, Snakeoil will move on from the current implemention. From now on new features designed for the next release will be hidden behind the activation. This way I hope I can roll the current release + next release beta into a single firmware file. Reducing the filespace required.

2018 was kind of a dud with me having to grapple with several personal and health issues. Here's hoping Snakeoil will make more progress in the year 2019!
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!