[SOLVED] MPD Pipe output
Hi Kith,
I am testing out Snakeoil OS to see if it fits for the purpose.

I am currently using a Dell Optiplex 390 i3 desktop as music server, running Lubuntu 16.04 LTS and MPD v19, I am using MPD's pipe output to Ecasound for a 4 ways active speaker, external USB sound card is Asus U7, this setup also involving custom compile FIR filters from source code created by Richard Taylor.  This setup working beautifully excepted that the OS is not optimized for audio use.

Since I have seen that your MPD implementation does not use mpd.conf, would it be possible to use MPD's pipe output in SnakeOil OS?

Best regards,

William
 Go to solution Reply

(19-Jun-2018, 02:09 PM)vv329 Wrote: Hi Kith,

I am currently using a Dell Optiplex 390 i3 desktop as music server, running Lubuntu 16.04 LTS and MPD v19, I am using MPD's pipe output to Ecasound for a 4 ways active speaker, external USB sound card is Asus U7, this setup also involving custom compile FIR filters from source code created by Richard Taylor.  This setup working beautifully excepted that the OS is not optimized for audio use.

Since I have seen that your MPD implementation does not use mpd.conf, would it be possible to use MPD's pipe output in SnakeOil OS?

Best regards,

William

Hi William,

Can you cut and paste the contents of your configuration here?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(19-Jun-2018, 02:55 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 02:09 PM)vv329 Wrote: Hi Kith,

Best regards,

William

Hi William,

Can you cut and paste the contents of your configuration here?  

Hi Kith,
Here is the output section, the rest of file is not altered and pretty much standard file generate by MPD install, this is not the latest version of the scripts, all *.ecp file containing  values of the filters are saved in /etc directory.

audio_output {
        type    "pipe"
        name    "LX521"
        format  "96000:32:2"
        mixer_type  "software"
        command "ecasound -q -B:RT -b:384 -r:20 -z:nodb -z:mixmode,sum -a:pre1 -f: s32_le,2,96000,i -i: stdin -pf:/etc/pre1cut.ecp -o:loop,1 -a:pre2,woofer1,woofer2 -i:loop,1 -a:pre2 -pf:/etc/pre2.ecp -o loop,2 -a:mid,tweeter -i:loop,2 -a:woofer1 -pf:/etc/woofer.ecp -chorder:0,0,0,0,0,0,1,2 -a:woofer2 -pf:/etc/woofer.ecp -chorder:0,0,1,2,0,0,0,0 -a:mid -pf:/etc/mid.ecp -chorder:1,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 -a:tweeter -pf:/etc/tweeter.ecp -chorder:0,0,0,0,1,2,0,0 -a:woofer1,woofer2,mid,tweeter -f:24,8,96000 -o:alsa,surround71:U7"
}

William

Hmm.. I'd try and see what I can do... I'd let you know in a few days when I have something ready...

Still a work in progress. When ready this will be released from Blind Testing Beta 2 onwards.

This is how it'd work, when you select MPD, there is now a checkbox asking if you want to use 'Custom Audio Output'. Tick that and the usual ALSA configuration box will disappear. Replacing that will be a new panel called 'Custom Audio Output'.

Here you can specificy anything you like, e.g.:

[Image: Custom_Audio_Config.png]
Because this is freeform. There is next to no error checking. However, if there's a problem, you can probably look at the player status to find out why.

You can install ecasound from the Snakeoil menus:
[Image: install_ecasound.png]
Hope to have this ready in the next few days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • vv329

Hi Kith,
Thank you for making the beta version, I will test it within this week and feedback to you.

William
[-] The following 1 user Likes vv329's post:
  • agent_kith

Hi Kith,
I have installed the 1.1.0.6 beta 2 firmware (Jun 25 release), but I am not seeing the custom box of ALSA device even I select  MPD as player (both v19 and v20), am I missed something?

William

(27-Jun-2018, 11:43 PM)vv329 Wrote: Hi Kith,
I have installed the 1.1.0.6 beta 2 firmware (Jun 25 release), but I am not seeing the custom box of ALSA device even I select  MPD as player (both v19 and v20), am I missed something?

William

Hi William. Check your PM. The checkbox will appear once you've enterd the information.

(28-Jun-2018, 07:55 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(27-Jun-2018, 11:43 PM)vv329 Wrote: Hi Kith,

William

Hi William. Check your PM. The checkbox will appear once you've enterd the information. 
Hi Kith,
It looks very promising, let me compile the filters and test it this weekend, will update you the result soon. Many Thanks

William
[-] The following 1 user Likes vv329's post:
  • agent_kith

Hi William,

I've broken package install in the snakeoil menu.. So you'd need to install ecasound manually from SSH. Other than this the MPD pipe bit should work, let me know how it goes.