[SOLVED] MPD better but still fallouts.
Hi.

Have posted a lot on the internet regards my annoying issues with mpd and maybe my Chord 2Qute DAC don't know.

I have these "one two seconds" fallout silence , and then the music plays again (ONLY when using DOP) playing DSF files.

On Snakeoil it's better using the MPD-DSD-RT version with the default conf file. I wonder where I cound add more options to
mpd.conf ???

PS! Have a fallout at least once or twice every hour, but a progress in my world..

Anyhow a real nice player..

(28-Jul-2017, 09:09 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Hi.

Have posted a lot on the internet regards my annoying issues with mpd and maybe my Chord 2Qute DAC don't know.

I have these "one two seconds" fallout silence , and then the music plays again (ONLY when using DOP) playing DSF files.
There are some possible causes, the first is an interference issue. To test this theory, look around your house and identify anything that could be a cause, examples include fridge, freezer, air/conditioner, pump, lights. 

Now check if that correspond to the drop outs. e.g. what happens if you turn on/off the light switch, when the compressor of the fridge kicks in, and so on.

(28-Jul-2017, 09:09 PM)michaelvv Wrote: On Snakeoil it's better using the MPD-DSD-RT version with the default conf file. I wonder where I cound add more options to
mpd.conf ???

PS! Have a fallout at least once or twice every hour, but a progress in my world..

The second cause is I/O resources on your computer. I have sent you an activation code, and you can use the "Add Process" method to tune your running tasks so they run at a higher priority. Modify the interrupt (the IRQ that drives the audio card) to -99. And also anything else in the playback chain (e.g. Network IRQ if you're playing music off a NAS).

In the System tab there is a command call "Top". Play some music, then run that command and monitor the first five processes, if anything constantly pop up in the top five, and have a number "20" to it, add that in the "Add Process" box and give it a number -99.

There's nothing else to set in the mpd.conf that could fix it. Sure you can try changing the period buffer to bigger values in the hopes to ride out any issues, but that is not really a fix.

Some other suggestions to rule things out:
  1. If you're playing music off a NAS, try and copy that music over to your Snakeoil OS machine and see if it's any better.
  2. Check if you're only getting this on DSD via DOP, and never on higher res PCM (192 or DXD).
  3. When the audio drop outs, verify it's never at the same timestamp of the song, but at random intervals.
  4. Note the time of the drop out, and then find the time difference between them, see if there is a pattern
  5. What about LMS + Squeezelite, do you have the same issue?
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

(29-Jul-2017, 08:41 AM)agent_kith Wrote:

There are some possible causes, the first is an interference issue. To test this theory, look around your house and identify anything that could be a cause, examples include fridge, freezer, air/conditioner, pump, lights. 

Now check if that correspond to the drop outs. e.g. what happens if you turn on/off the light switch, when the compressor of the fridge kicks in, and so on.

(28-Jul-2017, 09:09 PM)michaelvv Wrote: On Snakeoil it's better using the MPD-DSD-RT version with the default conf file. I wonder where I cound add more options to
mpd.conf ???

The second cause is I/O resources on your computer. I have sent you an activation code, and you can use the "Add Process" method to tune your running tasks so they run at a higher priority. Modify the interrupt (the IRQ that drives the audio card) to -99. And also anything else in the playback chain (e.g. Network IRQ if you're playing music off a NAS).

In the System tab there is a command call "Top". Play some music, then run that command and monitor the first five processes, if anything constantly pop up in the top five, and have a number "20" to it, add that in the "Add Process" box and give it a number -99.

There's nothing else to set in the mpd.conf that could fix it. Sure you can try changing the period buffer to bigger values in the hopes to ride out any issues, but that is not really a fix.

1. If you're playing music off a NAS, try and copy that music over to your Snakeoil OS machine and see if it's any better.
  2. Check if you're only getting this on DSD via DOP, and never on higher res PCM (192 or DXD).
  3. When the audio drop outs, verify it's never at the same timestamp of the song, but at random intervals.
  4. Note the time of the drop out, and then find the time difference between them, see if there is a pattern

Hi Kith.

I have installed the SnakeOil OS on my extra laptop with the best specs I have.

Hardware
Code:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz 
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25
4 GB RAM

Iperf3
Code:
iperf3 -c 172.16.0.90 -t 10 -i 1
Connecting to host 172.16.0.90, port 5201
[  4] local 172.16.0.49 port 56818 connected to 172.16.0.90 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr  Cwnd
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   112 MBytes   943 Mbits/sec    0    167 KBytes        
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    194 KBytes        
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    214 KBytes        
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0    226 KBytes        
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    226 KBytes        
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   942 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.10 GBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.10 GBytes   941 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Right now I'm using mpd-dsd-rt , as MPD is a challenge I have to face. My problems is ONLY with
DSD over PCM (DOP) when playing DSF files.

Playing over Network right now, I'll post my results as I have them.

PS! I had LMS running for years with squeezelite, these stops are at least 10-20 times less common.

(29-Jul-2017, 06:24 PM)michaelvv Wrote:
(29-Jul-2017, 08:41 AM)agent_kith Wrote:

mpd.conf ???

Hi Kith.

I have installed the SnakeOil OS on my extra laptop with the best specs I have.

Hardware
Code:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz 
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25
4 GB RAM

Iperf3
Code:
iperf3 -c 172.16.0.90 -t 10 -i 1
Connecting to host 172.16.0.90, port 5201
[  4] local 172.16.0.49 port 56818 connected to 172.16.0.90 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr  Cwnd
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   112 MBytes   943 Mbits/sec    0    167 KBytes        
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    194 KBytes        
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    214 KBytes        
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0    226 KBytes        
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    226 KBytes        
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   942 Mbits/sec    0    238 KBytes        
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.10 GBytes   941 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.10 GBytes   941 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Right now I'm using mpd-dsd-rt , as MPD is a challenge I have to face. My problems is ONLY with
DSD over PCM (DOP) when playing DSF files.

Playing over Network right now, I'll post my results as I have them.

PS! I had LMS running for years with squeezelite, these stops are at least 10-20 times less common.  

Died after 30.55 min :-)

Is cpu throttling disabled in kernel, got an
Code:
sudo modprobe cpufreq_stats
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module cpufreq_stats not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64

could be nice to have, when using LMS which practical never times out.

(29-Jul-2017, 07:37 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Died after 30.55 min :-)
Code:
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module cpufreq_stats not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.9-rt17-snakeoil-x64

Yes. CpuFreq is disabled. Assuming you're running the notebook on battery? I'd add a new custom kernel with freq step added that should improve battery life.

Right now I'm preparing for Snakeoil  1.0.0 release. Once that is out of the way I'd start working on custom kernels. Hopefully this will happen in the next day (24 hours from now).

(29-Jul-2017, 07:44 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(29-Jul-2017, 07:37 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Died after 30.55 min :-)
Code:

Yes. CpuFreq is disabled. Assuming you're running the notebook on battery? I'd add a new custom kernel with freq step added that should improve battery life.

Right now I'm preparing for Snakeoil  1.0.0 release. Once that is out of the way I'd start working on custom kernels. Hopefully this will happen in the next day (24 hours from now). 

Still having my huge issues with MPD and DOP.

Will try your ver 1.0.0 when released, and YES running on batteries need a working CpuFreq .

I normal have ca 5 hours on my Arch Manjaro homebrew, so this i great.

(30-Jul-2017, 03:06 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Still having my huge issues with MPD and DOP.
Have to identify where the issue is first, the two most common causes AFAIK is environmental interference and computer bottlenecks. You have to go through all the steps mentioned above so we can rule things in or out.

(30-Jul-2017, 03:06 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Will try your ver 1.0.0 when released, and YES running on batteries need a working CpuFreq .

I'm going out to run some errands. When I'm back in a few hours will start working on a CPU Freq kernel.

Update: CPUFreq kernel available here.

(30-Jul-2017, 03:38 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(30-Jul-2017, 03:06 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Still having my huge issues with MPD and DOP.
Have to identify where the issue is first, the two most common causes AFAIK is environmental interference and computer bottlenecks. You have to go through all the steps mentioned above so we can rule things in or out.

(30-Jul-2017, 03:06 PM)michaelvv Wrote: Will try your ver 1.0.0 when released, and YES running on batteries need a working CpuFreq .

I'm going out to run some errands. When I'm back in a few hours will start working on a CPU Freq kernel.

Update: CPUFreq kernel available here

Hi Again.

Thanks will try it tomorrow.

Started this thread on diyaudio.com as there are others who had these annoying Chord 2qute issues.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/...lenge.html

If found out on the exact same ARM ARCH image (Odroid C1+ vs Wandboard DUAL) that the irqs RAGE on Odroid C1+ just gives me fall out
after 10-15 min using squeezelite.

Now I'm running my Wandboard DUAL , and I can play squeezelite for normal 1-2 hours. I'll try too monitor my network as It need to be dead silent.

The Chord 2QUTE is really a bitch when It comes to DOP. MPD is a lot more picky on my Chord than squeezelite. Putting USB and NETWORK irqs on
different cpus (0 USB 1 NETWORK on my Wandboard) improves things..

(31-Jul-2017, 06:17 AM)michaelvv Wrote: The Chord 2QUTE is really a bitch when It comes to DOP. MPD is a lot more picky on my Chord than squeezelite. Putting USB and NETWORK irqs on
different cpus (0 USB 1 NETWORK on my Wandboard) improves things..

My only experience with Chord products is the QuteHD, and don't recall having these issues on my NF9C board. It's a slow CPU. So this problem you're having seems to be related to the 2Qute, and it seems computer related and not electrical. That is good.

Since there are people with this issue, have you tried checking with Chord and hear what they say?

Lots of interrupts on the USB is normal, that is the downside of a USB audio device. If you run the computer for a while and look at the running processes, the USB process will consume the most CPU time. All this is normal, and nothing much we can do about it, it's a limitation of USB. You can increase the MTU to improve the network latency, but if this is a known Chord issue, probably best to leave it to Chord to find a fix and issue an update to their DAC firmware (assuming this DAC is upgradable).