[SOLVED] Ongoing status updates with new UI for Gear Isolation
Half past 8 in Perth right now. Have just finished all my morning chores in the morning. So am hoping I can dedicate some hours to continue work on the GUI. Wish me luck that I can make some progress on this.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

Some pretty good progress over the weekend. Re-factoring the code (now that I am a better at Angular) is taking some time, but overall the code looks better and more managed.

Good things come to those who wait. I hope that will ring true... Been working on the systems stuffs, hopefully can finish that sooner rather than later. May be difficult as now it seems I only have the time to do this on the weekends now. But will see how I go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr

Good progress over the last 2 days (Took leave yesterday from work to do my 2nd Covid jab). While this looks the same as before there's actually a lot of changes under the hood. And more changes will be made after I finish the post.

[Image: Console-Text.jpg]

The goal I guess is to improve the quality of the code and make it more easily re-susable in the future. Which I hope will come in useful when this code is open sourced for you guys to look/modify/hack.

I sincerely hope I can get some of the things I wanted to do done before any side effects kick in Big Grin Rolleyes .

(28-Aug-2021, 09:47 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Good progress over the last 2 days (Took leave yesterday from work to do my 2nd Covid jab).
This is the sixth day since the Pfizer covid jab.. I don't have any side effects at all! Huh Everybody I spoke to have mild to serious symptoms, but I got nothing! My body was aching last Monday, but that's probably from a 6 hour manual yard work I did to clear/clean up my backyard last Sunday. Kind of strange as I had side effects on the first (nobody else did), but nothing on the 2nd (everybody else did).

There may be some here who are anti-vaxers, but if you love music, you have a heart. Please see taking the vaccine as helping a stranger. By getting vaccinated you drastically reduce the odds of taking up an ICU bed, meaning that resource can be used for others in need - heart attack, people in car accidents. Sure there are many "What ifs", but let's just focus on the short/medium term, and that is intensive care. Anyway, let's get back to the progress. Not much is done since I can only really work on this 3 days a week, but at least the System page is almost complete!

Only things outstanding is updating the themes, and to test those "white" buttons and the upload area to make sure they work. This is only something I can do via a web server, not in development mode. Note I have currently dropped creating new langauges and editing translations for now. Since nobody has submitted me new translations in the past few years, I figured nobody's using it so just not going to spend too much time on it just yet. Better to focus getting the WebApp done.

[Image: system.jpg]

Sure it looks exactly the same as before, but there's lots of changes under the hood. Big Grin On that note, once the WebApp is done I will be making more changes to the RestAPI server. I will be dropping RestAPI and be moving to something called GraphQL. This in my mind is a better model for Snakeoil, and will be especially useful when it comes to that kernel builder site.

Think my C/C++ skills is getting rusty as I've been focusing on Angular for the past 6 months. Will be good to also clean up the service component as that code hasn't been touched upon since the first inception really.

Next component I'll be working on would be Disk Management. So stay tuned. That's 1 down, and at least 3 more to go! Confused
  1. System
  2. Disk/NAS Management (Music library)
  3. Music Players
  4. Snakeoil
  5. File Manager (If I have time)
  • Snoopy8

(04-Sep-2021, 10:34 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Next component I'll be working on would be Disk Management. So stay tuned. That's 1 down, and at least 3 more to go! Confused
  1. System
  2. Disk/NAS Management (Music library)
  3. Music Players
  4. Snakeoil
  5. File Manager (If I have time)
Good to hear that there has been progress. Completing the SnakeOil tab is a must have for me, but File Manager is optional (can use WinSCP as alternative)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snoopy8's post:
  • agent_kith

(05-Sep-2021, 12:52 PM)Snoopy8 Wrote: Good to hear that there has been progress. Completing the SnakeOil tab is a must have for me, but File Manager is optional (can use WinSCP as alternative)
Yeah, it's a must for me too.

Agreed, file manager is good to have but not absolutely necessary at this stage. Hence I put it at the last (and why I said at least 3 more to go - meaning I could skip file manager for 1.2.2).
  • Snoopy8

(04-Sep-2021, 10:34 AM)agent_kith Wrote: Not much is done since I can only really work on this 3 days a week, but at least the System page is almost complete!
So what has changed? Well, I have resigned from my stable incoming paying (and great working relationship) job and hope to move to a new company that is a lot closer to home.

Today is my last day with my current job. I love this job, but it takes 26+ minutes to get to work, and 48+ minutes to get home. My wife work part time so those days I have to pick up the Mrs and it will be too late for me to work on Snakeoil on those days. Also, as the work ramps up I will have to work more hours to finish the project.

Effectively if I continue with this job I will have no time to work on Snakeoil. Sure I will earn a lot of money if I stayed, but there'll be little time until Christmas.

So what did I do? I have resigned from my current work and hope to work in a new company that's closer to home. The hourly pay is higher too (just over what I got back in the mining hay days), but being a new environment, there's a lot of uncertainty also. I am confident in my work, however do not forget COVID-19 is always going a wildcard. Besides, I think there's some contractual hurdles yet to be ironed out.

If I land this new job, the shorter travel time means I will have more time to work on Snakeoil. If the new employment don't pan out, I will have even more time! So it's a win/win for Snakeoil regardless.

Six months employment but asked to stay for 2 weeks (instead of the typical one week). It's a sign that I'm a valued contributor Blush . For folks who are into the NBA, effectively I have done a Dennis Schröder, aka made a big bet on myself.

Apologies if this post makes little sense. I had to write this in a hurry. Basically I have resigned and will work elsewhere in about a week's time with a much shorter commute if everything goes to plan.

Edit: Forgot the most important bit. I will be signing out of my personal accounts on the work computer so will be offline for a while (probably until tomorrow). Happy listening until then!
[-] The following 2 users Like agent_kith's post:
  • hkphantomgtr, musicnut23

Agent Kith, Good Luck and All the Best! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • agent_kith

First day of unemployment, and I've been busy.

Here's the new snakeoil menu layout. So I've broken up the big Snakeoil menu into multiple, smaller, more "manageable" blocks. Just noticed the cards are not all of the same height, this will be fixed in the final code.

[Image: Snakeoil-Menu.jpg]
Clicking on one of the tabs, will bring you into the actual config. Right now I've only done the first one, and it looks like so:
[Image: Snakeoil-Software.jpg]
Breaking up this way means I can easily move things from Snakeoil menu out to the other sections if need be.
  • Snoopy8

This is the system services page. Work done from yesterday. While it looks similar to the old snakeoil card, things have changed behind the scenes to make everything more "iterative". Basically I'm changing the code to make it more adaptable to the future. The goal here is to list any services that is running on your computer, not just the default 4.

[Image: System-Services.jpg]

So while there are only 4 services that you can turn on/off at this stage, in a future version there will be heaps of additional services you can enable/disable.

While this may sound like a good thing, obviously turning off some critical services is very likely going to break the OS Blush. So it's very likely this feature will forever stay in the Snakeoil (aka beta) menu. The GUI for this will have to adapt and change to include more details. This is something that can be pushed down in a future update.

In other news, for some reason it does appear I may not land that new job that is closer to home. While the recruiter still sounds hopeful, reading between the lines and her tones I am feeling less confident. Well, just have to deal with what happens and live and let live. For now I am just going to focus my attention on finishing as much of the Snakeoil WebApp as I can. It's a good distraction I guess shrug.

Hey, for what it's worth, I wasn't a risk taker until last year. And to be fair I wasn't taking any unnecessary risks at all this time. At least now I have got the risk taking phase out of my system.

[Image: bike.gif]
  • hkphantomgtr