[SOLVED] Permissions issue on 128GB SSD internal drive
It keeps spinning so the buttons are greyed out. I thought I might be able to add music with the correct permissions using the snakeoil browser. I had to uninstall DC as it freezes and will not copy even after uninstall and purge, reinstall.

[Image: Screenshot-2022-03-24-19-52-49.png]

Deleting and re-creating /media folders should require a reboot, because there will be processes holding to the old locations that don't exist any more. Have you tried rebooting the Snakeoil computer and see how that goes?

If that still didn't work, perhaps we can do a remote session to sort this out.
Snakeoil Operating System - Music, your way!

AK, this is where I am now, after spending hours (lucky I am retired huh!) I hope I can sort it out myself with just a little further help. 

T520 has 128GB SSD; Linux laptop for music management; USB drive attached to T520.
I have reinstalled linux on my laptop; I attached a USB drive to snakeoil PC with music files and LMS has scanned and played from SB Touch.

I can copy music files (over SSH on DC) from the USB drive to laptop; the file changes attribute in the transfer from 777 to 640

The transfer from laptop drive 640 to SSD Music Directory 755 failed. I attach the error code in case it is useful. 

I am reluctant to make attribute changes with terminal as DC kept crashing afterwards; I needed a dev version to get it working even after new install Debian. 

What I can do is a fresh install Ubuntu on SSD, this time with a separate partition for music. I can copy the 5000 tracks when logged into the T520. One point I need advice on, will the partition be created with 777 automatically by Ubuntu?

[Image: Screenshot-2022-03-25-16-15-03.png]

cp /media/music/sdb2/NUCMusic /dev/sda3/Music - If the Music partition is sda3

LMS has scanned the mounted USB although the files all have 777 attributes. Mounted as /dev/sdb2 | /media/music/sdb2 in Snakeoil Library.

(26-Mar-2022, 12:50 AM)patricia1066 Wrote: The transfer from laptop drive 640 to SSD Music Directory 755 failed. I attach the error code in case it is useful. 
755 is rwx-r-xr-x. I guess you've signed in with your user account? I think the default permission i used is the web user account, hence the problem.

Chrome or DC should support CIFS/SMB? You can try to use that protocol instead, that should get over the file permissions.

(26-Mar-2022, 05:29 PM)agent_kith Wrote:
(26-Mar-2022, 12:50 AM)patricia1066 Wrote: The transfer from laptop drive 640 to SSD Music Directory 755 failed. I attach the error code in case it is useful. 
755 is rwx-r-xr-x. I guess you've signed in with your user account? I think the default permission i used is the web user account, hence the problem.

Chrome or DC should support CIFS/SMB? You can try to use that protocol instead, that should get over the file permissions.
The linux laptop  is wireless while T520 is wired into the network. SMB doesnt work on W10 or linux anymore, I presume due to security issues, and SSH within the LAN is the slow but usually reliable alternative. I tried to open Windows network on DC and although there are 4 PC wired in the LAN none show. These are managed by my husband who said he has disabled SMB.

(26-Mar-2022, 07:24 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: The linux laptop  is wireless while T520 is wired into the network. SMB doesnt work on W10 or linux anymore, I presume due to security issues, and SSH within the LAN is the slow but usually reliable alternative. I tried to open Windows network on DC and although there are 4 PC wired in the LAN none show. These are managed by my husband who said he has disabled SMB.
Can you SSH to your Snakeoil PC, and then run
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /media/music
And then directly copy files to /media/music folder in DC. I'll see if i can find a better way to manage that. Gotta think of a universal way.

(27-Mar-2022, 09:03 AM)agent_kith Wrote:
(26-Mar-2022, 07:24 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: The linux laptop  is wireless while T520 is wired into the network. SMB doesnt work on W10 or linux anymore, I presume due to security issues, and SSH within the LAN is the slow but usually reliable alternative. I tried to open Windows network on DC and although there are 4 PC wired in the LAN none show. These are managed by my husband who said he has disabled SMB.
Can you SSH to your Snakeoil PC, and then run

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /media/music
And then directly copy files to /media/music folder in DC. I'll see if i can find a better way to manage that. Gotta think of a universal way.
Thanks so much.
Yes that works. I used cp -R to copy the contents of the USB music folder /media/music/sdb2 to media/Music where Music is on the internal SSD.
Should I avoid the latest update? I don't want to scrub the OS drive unintentionally.

(27-Mar-2022, 06:45 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: Thanks so much.
Yes that works. I used cp -R to copy the contents of the USB music folder /media/music/sdb2 to media/Music where Music is on the internal SSD.
Glad it's finally solved. I'll see if I can improve on this file permissions in the future, and make it a "one-click" solution.

(27-Mar-2022, 06:45 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: Should I avoid the latest update? I don't want to scrub the OS drive unintentionally.
That's a difficult question to answer. Latest update does have some improvements to the Backend, it exits and restarts more cleanly, has a new MPD player (which doesn't sound that fantastic to be honest Big Grin). But OTOH, the new MPD player may actually sound great in your setup?

Snakeoil is all about experiment and trial/error.

I've been thinking about maintaining that pristine OS question. Whether to run Snakeoil and the WebApp as a container (LXC, not docker) instead. Thereby preserving the OS, while still running everything at bare metal speed. This may make it sound better, or worse. There are pros and cons of both, containers are easier to rollback, but may be harder and less options to tweak.

Native is fast, and er native, but to roll back you'll often need to backup/restore entire harddisks.

Which brings us back to Gear Isolation, the move away from hard coded kernels, to a more dynamic/generic one that can be customised. This means it's much easier to bring on ZFS (and maybe LVM), and with these two file systems we can introduce snapshots. The media drive can still be EXT4, or XFS (if you're hosting videos also), but the OS itself can be on ZFS/LVM, and be snap shot. This is Copy On Write (CoW), which works in the same idea as a persistent USB when setting up Snakeoil as a LiveCD. With snap shots it means it is possible to 'roll back' to a previous state. Update from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 and have problems or don't like the way it sounds, just roll back to 1.2.4 and all will be good!

With extra time coming up from next month, I hope to finish the kernel builder, migrate the CMS, update the wiki, and then start working on 1.3.0 (Codename Measurements), where snapshots will eventually come into play.

Obviously you can start to do all this manually now. But in Measurements, this will be part of the WebApp.

ZFS is an interesting thing. It uses a lot of RAM, which can be a good or bad thing. Good in potentially this might negate the need to actually use RAM play entirely, bad in case that potential doesn't work. lol. If it's bad, the only way to get out of ZFS is to re-install... Confused

It's certainly weird to apply my Computer Science & I.T. knowledge in audiophilla.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066

Very ambitious. Maybe we could bring the discussion to another thread?
I googled ZFS on single drive and found a warning against using it where there is no redundant drive. https://www.truenas.com/community/thread...ost-216140

(28-Mar-2022, 06:06 PM)patricia1066 Wrote: Very ambitious. Maybe we could bring the discussion to another thread?
I googled ZFS on single drive and found a warning against using it where there is no redundant drive. https://www.truenas.com/community/thread...ost-216140
They're talking about this in a different context - redundancy, error correction and data recovery.

In those terms, you will have the same issue on a single drive regardless on what file system you choose. e.g. you set up a drive on ext4, and have a drive failure, you lose everything. Same with any and every other filesystem - including ZFS.

So yeah, it's pointless to do a single drive on anything if the metrics you are looking at are redundancy, error correction and what not (in general it's about high availability). 

However, if we just focus on snapshots, ZFS isn't exactly pointless. There are other downsides too, e.g. disk space, CoW filesystem will waste more space, and it's best to always have 80% free just in case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes agent_kith's post:
  • patricia1066